Dual / Multiple Citizenship

I have a Polish (EU) and Canadian citizenship, while both my children have a Polish, Canadian and will soon have their British citizenship as well. Wife and I figured they might want to have British citizenship as they were born here and might want to study or live here. Unfortunately after 16 years of living here I’m not sure we’re welcome anymore :pensive:

1 Like

That would be a very small minority which unfortunately, I think you will find almost everywhere. Just ignore the idiots.

4 Likes

There are always options for smart cookies, educational visas are relatively easy to get.

When I applied for French citizenship (having already assembled the paperwork, passed the language test etc) my cousin emailed me, after I posted a picture of the 2.5kg dossier, to let me know that our grandfather had been born in Co Armagh. I knew he had grown up there, but I wasn’t aware that he had been born there.

Ireland regards the island of Ireland as one, and thus any of his grandchildren could apply for Irish nationality (which is really only a formality compared with becoming French). So, I did that too.
Partly because my grandfather was a right old bastard who had been nothing less than abusive of my grandmother and mother (and in my presence). He was also, not to put too fine a point on it, more orange than Trump, and the mere idea that his descendants could become Irish because of him would have filled him with so much horror and abhorrence, that this alone would have been motive.
And partly because it looked at one point as though Ireland would beat the Brexit deadline, and France might not

So (after checking that none of the three countries had any issues with the idea) I am now a tri-national. And it feels good!

Many of my friends here are currently battling with the new French system for Brits getting Cartes de Séjour (all at once making it worse), and I am glad I do not need to do that…

5 Likes

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Though I hold a UK passport, as an exiled Jock in Englandshire, if, North of the border, they ever do vote for Independence, then I may well qualify for dual citizenship … watch this space. :joy: :joy:

Ooooooo! That would fill me with dread. I wouldn’t stand a hope in hell’s chance. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

I should really get around to getting an Eire passport (Dad was Dublin born), if only to give the daughters the option of getting theirs (based upon the up-sh1t-creek status of the UK).

1 Like

Start simple…

Bonjour Monsieur, Une biere, svp

Deux bieres, svp

Encore deux bieres, svp

Allez, les Bleues!

(apologies for spelling and lack of accents. bloody IOS(UK) spell checker)

Maltese not French. :joy:
But that looks like a good place to start. :joy:

1 Like

Yes, My view is Scotland should get another chance to vote, Brexit was never part of the deal then. Another outcome could quite easily occure.

1 Like

Same boat here. I would be extremely annoyed if I didn’t qualify for one seeing as I was born in Scotland as were my parent, grandparents and at least half of my great grandparents. Unfortunately I’m a generation or two back from Irish ancestors to qualify for an Irish passport :frowning:

Regrettably I have no routes to regain my EU citizenship. F*ck Boris :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.