Dual power supplies - a question

As an Electronics Eng. (retired) I was taught to switch on from source to end in order.The rationale being that you do not want to leave a high impedance input “floating” while the source’s output may be all over the place during power up. However, that lesson was nearly fifty years ago - OTOH, stuff one learns in “one’s yoof” does tend to stick.

Therefore in this case - digital then analogue.

You have explained much better what I was trying to say earlier, based on logic. I’m just a humble Zoology PhD though.

I was also taught to turn off every bit of power before fiddling with interconnecting cables, or poking one’s fingers into units.

Naturally being a (know-it-all) Elect. Eng., I have ignored that directive on numerous occasions.

I’ve even got away with it… most of the time LOL!

1 Like

If the Digital supply powers the output mute relays then you want Analogue on first to get stable then the Digital. Generally Digital has its own logic system to associated, with timers - Analogue systems use RC timers to give delays.

I have no idea what Naim do inside other than it all works however you power it on. I used to design and build electronic equipment for work and and have designed and built DACs for my own and friends use, so I also do know something of how all these things work.

Generally you want the Analogue system up and sitting ready before it gets presented internally with a signal or has non-stable output sent to your Pre. Digital is either ready working or not so is safer.

DB.

As Naim don’t specify it, I think you can be sure that it doesn’t matter at all either way.

I switch my 555PSs on one at a time. It’s a habit I developed in the days when Naim equipment had more of a tendency to blow fuses on switch on. Turning on everything in turn allowed me to check that each box had started. Only my 500 still has this tendency and it is thankfully occasional.

I have never seen a simultaneous switch on recommended by Naim in any manual or article. If it was a preferred or recommended procedure, Naim would say so. There is more of a potential to trip a switch if several boxes start drawing at the same time.

Harry

Thank you, just what I wanted to hear.

Just for the record, what ORDER do you switch the power supplies on?
Ie analogue (burndy socket 2) first, or
Digital (burndy socket 1) first?
Or, perhaps, either!

Everyone is confident that the order does not matter.

However, it has been interesting reading the suggestions as to why one might be slightly better than the other.

Thanks to everyone for the help,
It’s is much appreciated.

You are welcome.

My power on order is:
552PS (the 552 takes up to 30s to initialise so draws immediately but does not become operational).
555PS analogue.
555PS digital.
500PS.
These are stacked upwards, so I just push the bottom button, then work upwards.

So far as I know it makes no difference in which order they are pressed, although I was advised to turn on the 500 last. I remember that when the dealer last tore it down and rebuilt it, we discussed which box should go where on the rack for the best sound performance. We wanted the 552PS as far away as possible from the 552, and the 555PS analogue further away from the ND555 than the 555PS digital. Putting the 500PS one shelf under the 500 made no difference. I only have space for one stack, so this was considered the most optimised order for the space available.

The switch on sequence just arose out of the stacking order. Because I was advised to turn on the 500 last, I go up from the bottom. Powering up and down is rare. It’s been necessary of late because of thunderstorms and occasional flutters and brief on/off cycles in the mains supply, which can blow equipment fuses - we have spares. The mains has now been resolved.

Switching on from source to pre to power amp is in the manual. It prevents unnecessary thump sounds from the speakers if nothing else. Interestingly it is the power supply manual that is most explicit:

The pre and power amp manuals do mention pre-before-power but more in passing

Nice. Thank you. This tracks and probably explains where the advice came from to do the 500 last.

There used to be an almighty thump when the 500 was switched on. It’s more like a soft thud with the 500DR but you still can’t miss it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.