Dynaudio Heritage Special

I just can’t stop looking for that next upgrade. I saw this on the net and was curious- It’s a limited # to be built, but the old contours were what drew me to Dynaudio in the first place and these have the same look . I never did buy them though, as every pair I saw had the little nipple/clamp that held the grill in place was broken. At that time I thought wtf, they can’t even keep the grills on properly L. Has anyone heard the heritage ? or even an opinion about them? Other than they are expensive (of course, I can never find something good, and inexpensive)

3 Likes

They look really gorgeous if you ask me. I think with all the Covid measures in place - such as a total lockdown here in the Netherlands, not many people have had the opportunity to listen to them …

There is along running thread called Naim and Dynaudio in which these were discussed at length a few weeks ago. Naim and Dynaudio Thread

They look absolutely wonderful.

1 Like

There is a YouTube video comparing Heritage, Contour 20i, Special 40, and Evoke 20. Check out the “Studio Incar” channel.

I’ve also demoed the Heritage. I spent three hours with it last week. It has its pros and cons. I think it’s a bit of a “grab you by the collar and listen” kind of speaker.

Pros
+Esotar3 offers a level of refinement, smoothness, depth, and insight into the treble unlike any other Dynaudio speaker.
+It’s a fast speaker! The bass is fast and agile.
+Classic design and finish.
+Exclusively/will hold its value.

Cons
-Esotar3. The first Dynaudio teeter that has caused listening fatigue for my ears.
-It’s Special 40 on steroids but maybe not as special (for the money).
-The bass is quick and accurate, if not a tad anemic. The overall balance of the speaker is certainly tipped towards the tweeter.
-Classic (old) design.
-Cost ($7k USD).

6 Likes

Thank you, @GTaudiophile for sharing your listening impressions in these Dynaudios. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dynaudio are masters of marketing and hype, they do look nice though.

1 Like

I heard them briefly, at a dealer, on the end of a 552/300/Klimax LP12. @GTaudiophile’s description of them as “fast” and as “Special 40s on steroids” is very apt. I think that is a thoroughly good thing, but of course YMMV. The build quality and finish were exsquisite, and they are very handsome speakers in the flesh.

If I was in the market for £5K speakers I would definitely have them at the top of my auditioning list.

6 Likes

May I ask what amplifier was used to drive the Heritage. In my experience, brightness in the treble can be caused by the amp (and cables) if the speakers have a hot treble. More careful setup and matching are usually required for certain speakers which are more transparent and revealing.

Boulder 866 Integrated with Nordost Valhala full loom.

One of the best looking speakers I’ve seen in a very long time.

3 Likes

I have to admit, I’d like to see/hear these, I’d be even more tempted if they built a “heritage” contour floor stander like the 1.8… Also (in general) walnut is not my first choice for cabinetry and even in the pictures they seem to tilt the color to a warmer red than what an unaltered picture of the speakers seems to suggest. It does look like they are planning on additional heritage speakers but will they still use the advanced tweeter and mid/woofer? or just slot it in as a more traditional line (from their past)

I would like to audition these … but alas I need to do some room treatment first…

The newer Contours, I have to say, are very different beasts from the old 1.8 floorstanders. I have both - the newer model is easier to drive and with a bigger overall sound/soundstage. Both pleasing, quality items though.

Just saw review by Steve Guttenberg. This heritage special reminds me of Contour 1.3 SE. Price tag is prohibitive at least for me. But these power hungry stand mounted little giants are special. Love to have a listen.

3 Likes

They are gorgeous, but I’d have a tough time justifying that much dough on a stand mount.

@GTaudiophile

I have been lucky to have an audition of this

I cannot hear the Esotar 3 being fatiguing at all.

It’s also quite a big bigger than the pictures suggest.

2 Likes

Was for me. Headache inducing. Doesn’t change your experience. Did you buy?

well the Dynaudio Dealer where I live gave me the chance to hear this at home in my own system. I compared this directly against my Focus 260 with my Chord Dave/282/HCDR/250DR.

So the first thing I noted was a huge increase in soundstage. The F260 sounds much smaller and constrained by comparison.

Next was the increase in refinement - the F260 sounds crude by comparison and the Esotar 3 really makes a big stride forward in this area

• instruments was more clear and spacious - I could hear instruments in recordings I know very well that (I know it’s audiophile cliche) I never noticed before.

• the bass coming out was punchy and very well defined. Jaw dropping bass really. Although the F260 can go lower to 32HZ, there was a difference in bass quality.

• Music was easier to listen to in the Heritage compared to the F260. It is what Naim explained to me, the 552 doesn’t add anything to the signal over a 282, it just does less harm. So I could hear it clearly, the Heritage plays the music with greater fidelity and less distortion.

• the Heritage is an endgame speaker, I can’t imagine any Dynaudio Fan thinking of an upgrade after this.

• the speaker cabinet is absolutely top quality with the walnut - one of these speaker that can be handed to the next generation, rather than ending up in an auction sale.

so there it is - and I reconfirm no fatigue at all from the Esotar 3.

7 Likes

-so 250DR is up to the job for this speaker.
-do you think that heritage is easy on placement and good for small rooms? (~20 square meters)
-how it sounds on low volume?

1 Like

Yes no problem for 250DR and this speaker
the heritage like most Dynaudio standmounts seems not too difficult on placement to my ears
yes my room is about the same size you are talking about, please upload a picture if possible.
I only listen a low to medium volumes, I don’t like turning the volume up.

3 Likes