Dyson Cooling Fans - Any Use?

…and light fittings as well I see now!

Most shops currently sold out of Dyson AM07 tower fans (Curry’s, John Lewis, etc) in UK, however Dyson still have a few ‘refurbished’ units on their Fleabay shop. Some very mixed reviews on reliability though.

We have a cheap ‘generic’ oscillating pedestal fan from B&Q that we bought last year that is quiet and does a good job of keeping the air moving overnight.

George.

I’ve got the tall tower Dyson fan. Works well enough but as others have pointed out it’s not an air conditioner with a condensing unit in it so it’s only ever going to move the air around that’s already there. It works well enough and I can’t say I’ve found it flimsy in any way.
Having a remote is handy as you can have it running on max and then ease it back when you’re ready to sleep.
The other good thing about them vs a regular spinning blade type is they are relatively easy to clean and the shape makes them somewhat easier to tuck away behind a door or in a corner.

I found the oppisite. Dust gets inside the airfoil and that little 1mm gap the [noisy as hell] air comes out of is prone to clogging from the inside and disrupting the air flow. The only way to clean it is to hose that bit out and then stick it out to dry.

Can’t say I’ve had that issue, to be fair we got given it by friends that moved to the States a while back, I’d probably think twice before buying one new given their cost relative to a basic spinner you’d get in Argos.

I use a Dyson AM09 this is the tall upright hot/cold model find it very effective and it is much quieter than the early model in fact I can use it whilst listening to my Naim system as it is very quiet on the lower settings.

The remote is very handy.

We have one. Instead of having it in the bedroom at night, I put it under an open west facing window across the hall facing the bedrooms open door.
Seems to push the old hot air whilst drawing in the cooler air to circulate. Seems a bit cooler overall and without having to endure it’s presence.

We are in our house in Provence and it is very hot This time of year we sleep in one of the basement bedrooms and have our tower Dyson running all night …was 24C at 4am today.
I think Dyson are great perhaps overpriced but they work for us .

Now all sold… (No, I didn’t buy any!).

George

Bloody flies.
Keeping the windows open lets in the little bastards.
I don’t know what’s more annoying. Being stuffy or getting out the old rolled up newspaper !!

Best thing we did was to put ceiling fans in the bedrooms some years ago. Nice and quiet but still gives a nice breeze.
We are in the uk.

Ah ! memories of Sharjah and Dubai back in '68 - early '72, just before the days of wall-bangers !!

The Pure Cool Me is a decent air filter. As a fan however, it is weak for its size, not even 8% output compared with Dyson Tower Fan or Desk Fan. It only turns 70 degrees compared with 350 degrees of it bigger siblings. It is quiet though. The thing I dislike most about it is its large size. Meant to be placed on the desk blowing at you, it looks so much like a dust bin. Lastly, the remote is attached face down so you can’t operate it when it is attached and there should be a depression or tabs so to help it stay in place. It can fall off easily.

Spend more and get the tower fan. There is a reason why the hot and cold filter tower fan never goes on sale.

I suppose you mean the Dyson vacuum cleaner. We have the V11 Outsize cordless vac which is absolutely awesome as far as effectiveness is concerned.

My only rant is its size hence it can get heavy with prolonged use. On the plus side, the bin is big enough for my whole place. Its 1.9L bin is 150% bigger than its sibling (0.76L) even bigger than the BigBall and is only slightly less powerful at 220AW (cf 250AW). Really put me to shame first time I used it, made me realise how much my old vac was leaving behind.

Love the new direct drive head where you don’t need a coin to remove the roller brush anymore. Motor is brushless which applies to the Pure Cool Me fan too although I don’t believe the motor in the direct drive head is brushless. Please let me know if I am wrong. Thanks.

Been using a V10 since they wee released have given away my Dyson corder machines.

Try a Meaco - cheaper than a Dyson (by far), quiet and effective. With a useful remote control.

Prepare for next summer.

3 Likes

Yes, we have the one with an oval loop. It works very well and as others have reported its quiet so can be used during the night we set to 2 or 3 which provides reasonably quiet air flow.
The Dyson app works well - you can also time delay switch off the fan, to run it through the warmer part of night. In summer ours can get quite warm it often reaches 38 degrees and remains fairly hot at night. The app also features graphs of air quality, not sure how accurate these are but provides some idea of whats going on.

We have owned ours for about 6 months now and would reccomend it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.