E10 petrol

Looks like Wensleydale creamery is having a hard time?

3 Likes

The biggest footprint of any vehicle is manufacturing it in the first place. Maybe its an irony that between us on here we must own thousands of cherished Naim boxes, all switched on and often not doing much. Just a thought.

2 Likes

Yep, interesting. Based on a new car every three years that would be 9 new cars in my ownership!

That looks in top condition. 4wd version ?

Edit - just noticed its a G reg so it must be the 2wd version.

Well spotted, yes 2WD. And thanks, it’s not bad for 32 years old :+1: There was a handful of very late G reg cars that were 4WD but I’m getting anoraky now :nerd_face:

I fitted the 4x4 lamps and bonnet years ago cos I preferred them at the time, I still have the originals in the loft.

2 Likes

At least my electricity is 100% renewable. You can hardly say the same about the petrol being guzzled by some clapped out ‘classic’ car. One environmental crime does not excuse another. Everything helps.

1 Like

Older cars may not be compatible…but then I’m sure that nobody else on these esteemed forums runs a 18 year old Audi!

Seems to be all “willie-waving” Beemers and Mercs here…

E10 makes my bike ‘pop’ excessively on the overrun so I’ve switched to SUL that has increased the average MPG by about 5mpg so offsetting the increased cost.
:+1:

1 Like

Having used E5 in my 1988 Suzuki GSX550 motorcycle for many years and put up with rough tick over and refusal to rev over 7,000 rpm I thought the carbs or ignition were faulty. Even moving to super unleaded, as I thought the higher octane would have less ethanol, made no difference the move to E10 forced me to do some investigation. I have found that Esso’s Synergy Supreme +99 does not contain ethanol. Having run a couple of tanks of this through the bike it has transformed it. Now making it a pleasure to ride again. The additional cost and the inconvenience of planning routes around Esso service stations is worth the effort.
How long will Esso keep selling ethanol free petrol?

Glad to hear that the GSX is running better. :+1:

Are the valve clearances ok and its also worth balancing the carbs.
I use one of these

Thanks for the advice. Valve clearance and carb ballance were both checked when it was running rough. I have owned the bike from new and have serviced it myself, apart from it’s first for warranty reasons.

The E10 fuel is another obstacle to owning and running classic vehicles. From articles I have read it may not be as green as suggested.

2 Likes

Austin 7s and Bubble cars too? :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.