Eames Chairs

Seems there’s quite a few of us that have Eames chairs, we’ll at least copies. I’ve got 2 knock offs one in the lounge room and the other in my studio/music room.

It would also interesting to see if anyone has an original.

3 Likes

I got so close! Mrs G was going to buy me a Vitra Eames lounge chair with ottoman for my birthday recently (60) but I couldn’t figure out how to fit it in the room without moving the sofa and Mrs G down the other end. Opted for a twin stack of full fat Fraim instead. So pleased with it but still hankering after an Eames. I’ve waited since I was 14 so another year or two won’t hurt. Meantime, the hifi is getting the best opportunity to shine, and it really does.

There are two sizes offered by Vitra, the standard one and a slightly taller one. For me, the tall one is very uncomfortable and somehow looks wrong, but the standard one is so very comfortable. sigh

2 Likes

Vitra Eames or 555PSDR?..hmmm

G

2 Likes

The copies online are less than $2k here, a 555PS DR is around $17ks.

2 Likes

A genuine Vitra Eames lounge chair plus ottoman is £7770.00 in the UK plus shipping. :astonished: If I have one, Mrs G wants one too. £15.5k!!

1 Like

Vitra Eames £7.5k here…hence I lived with a replica at a tenth of the price!

The little details are not quite there on the footing from the stand flanges, and it’s not the gorgeous napa leather but it’s very close - comfortable too.

It was a present for my wife.

G

4 Likes

Mine are also replicas. I wouldn’t spend $8-9k on an original.

2 Likes

I am sure I am going to annoy some people here but I do not understand the desire to buy cheap knockoffs of a proper Vitra Eames chair. You see them every where now but quality is generally poor. If someone were to start manufacturing something that looked like an exact replica of a 250DR but wasn’t built very well and contained rubbish electronics there would be uproar on this site. It would devalue genuine 250DRs. I quite fancy a Porsche 911 but can’t afford one. My options are save hard, buy a genuine second hand one or just give up the idea. I wouldn’t buy a fake one

7 Likes

Won’t annoy me, I probably agree with you.

Yours looks really nice. The legs on yours look much closer to the original Herman Miller design than the Vitra. Only obvious issue I can see is that the screw in foot “pads” look a bit too small in diameter. Luckily that should present an easy upgrade!

1 Like

I inherited mine from my uncle, I’ve no idea if it’s an original, but this chap loves it as much as I do. I now know that it’s a chocolate Vitra (see legs and label). It sits in my study, by the garden doors, the accompanying ottoman is at my feet in the tv room. Most days I sit in the chair to read and listen to music (Unitiqute plus ceiling speakers). Sadly there is no room for it anywhere else, and it has the best light in the cottage.

8 Likes

Thanks Richard. Yes, the footing off the flange isn’t 100% but otherwise all good. I was never such a fan of the later Vitra ‘skinny’ flange top with articulated round foot.

G

I wonder just what percentage of Naim owners can be officially classed as ‘cultist’. As ever, one tends only to read of the vocal minority, so there probably aren’t that many who aspire to spend £’000s on a fancy office chair (or Rolex, Porsche etc…).

Don’t know how many are cultist but from reading this forum I suspect that the majority know quality when they see it and are prepared to pay for it

3 Likes

Most of the Vitra dealers have regular sales with 10% off, and occasionally 15%. And my favourite shop near Goodge Street will do free delivery at that price including unpacking and taking away the packaging. :grinning:

2 Likes

Having spent time sitting in an Eames lounge chair, I’d have to say that it’s the most comfortable chair design I’ve ever tried. Sadly the rooms in my current house wouldn’t easily take a chair/ottoman combination. When I move in a few years I think it’ll be my moving in present to myself.

4 Likes

I guess they are quite expensive in the UK.
The Mrs. and I are both in the design industry so we like iconic original design classics. My dedicated 2 channel listening room as a Saarinen Womb chair for listening to the 500 system.

I just treated myself to an Eames lounge chair and ottoman for the new headphone listening station I created in the bedroom. Here in the States Herman Miller runs sales twice a year. $6k with Pallisander wood and premium leather option. It sounds quite a bit cheaper than in the UK.

After a lengthy discussion with the factory I opted for the taller version. They recommend it to anyone 5’8" and taller

5 Likes

Has anyone been tempted to use the ottoman as a TV dinner tray support ?

2 Likes

Did this evening, my grandkids use it for all kinds of things.

1 Like

Best for yesterday’s papers, the cheese box, biscuit tin and all the remotes.

3 Likes