Eames Chairs

Yes, it does

Best wishes

Ian

1 Like

We got ours secondhand at a local auction for CHF 2k.
Is’s an original Vitra one in perfect shape.
Anyway, Mrs G. and I love it.
MArco :cowboy_hat_face:

Every day is a school day. This morning I discovered that you can get automatically levelling corner steadies for a motor home. This afternoon I discover that Charles and Ray Eames were husband and wife. I’d always assumed they were brothers. Silly me.

1 Like

Running out of space to store your Hifi bits and is that a 645 lurking in the background, Richard?:wink:

At least for what I have noticed, Miller and Vitra are indeed not the same.
The finish is different, at Miller you can have it in oiled finish, which is not possible at Vitra.
I would have loved it, but in Europe only Vitra ones are sold.
Size are a bit different and there is the “new” dimensions on both productions for taller people like me. The classic dimensions are not very comfortable for me (1.86m), but they suit Mrs G. very well.
There’s an interesting thread over here : “Eames Blog”

1 Like

The Eames Brothers:54426a8db87c02f1b0d1201ca47c56ff
Could habe been posted in the Motorbikes thread…

1 Like

This is my Herman Miller Eames chair, circa 2000.

That’s a Noguchi table next to it.

8 Likes

Well spotted Tony. Yes, a TC-645. I use it in the office system from time to time but when not in use it sits on the LP storage behind.

1 Like

I appreciate it’s off topic HH, but we’ve just specified the hydraulic levellers for our new panel van conversion! Bit pricy, but being able to do it all from inside the van within seconds was too tempting to resist! Fairly certain this will be our final ‘for ever’ motorhome, so will be nice to reap the benefit into our dotage.

I can see the attraction for sure - the one opposite us has its front wheels dangling in the air. You wrote above about those who value Eames chairs or fancy watches or whatever being a bit dotty, and I suppose from another perspective hydraulic levellers are in the same category. Another thing that makes life a little nicer. I’m certainly enjoying the luxury of a fixed bed in our new caravan. So much easier than making up the bed every night. An Eames would look a little out of place on the campsite.

1 Like

I know where you’re coming from - difference for me is I’m only interested in functionality. Branding is of no interest. I’m sure an Eames chair is comfy, but so are my electric leather reclining lounge chairs. If people are happy to buy, at great expense, into an ‘iconic’ brand, that’s up to them. I just can’t resist occasionally commenting when I read all the fanboy remarks!

Charles and Ray Eames aren’t brothers. They are husband and wife.

1 Like

No?

G

Is that a question for me?

Here they are in a rather fun photo, courtesy of the New York Times website…

3 Likes

I was pulling your leg Josquin. If you look a few posts above the motorcycle you will see this common misconception was corrected by @anon4489532 ‘s realisation.

G

1 Like

I see. I can no longer keep up with all the posts anymore. Too much to deal with at home these days.

1 Like

It was a joke; responding to @anon4489532:wink:
Marco :cowboy_hat_face:

I’m pleased to have generated a little humour. Goodness me we need it. Next I’ll be finding that Little and Large were in fact both the same size.

3 Likes

Here’s my 10 year old Chinese knock off, of an Eames chair. We have it in our lounge and it has lasted quite well. The screws that hold the ottoman onto the stem were too short and they used to fall out into the floor, allowing the ottoman to swivel awkwardly when putting ones feet on it. These were upgraded at an upholstery shop along with a broken button on the seat base. It lacks the plush luxury of the original, not so much like sitting in a baseball glove, rather a train seat with arms, but it does the job.

4 Likes