Early Core Experience

Adding to what @Clive said, Naim think that for the new platform streamers (which means Atom, Star, Nova, ND5 XS2, NDX2, NDX555 and the New Classic products) the processors have plenty of capacity to decode FLAC and you simply don’t need to feed them WAV. So they didn’t include it in UnitiCore and didn’t see the need to do so in future when I asked about it on a factory visit pre-Covid.

1 Like

I recently ditched my HDX for precisely the reasons Clive states for his NS01. The HDX has been great but the HDDs with the (old) control software on it was worrysome. Also, it got seriously hot, which I thought was the HDDs but was told by Naim North America that it was, in fact, the digital boards. I any event, heat plus age plus usage didn’t bode well for longevity.

My new NDX2 has been a little frustrating, primarily because of the crappy documentation, but now that I’ve got everything switched over and used to its’ quirks, I’m glad I switched - nothing mechanical, SSD storage, cool running, and no OLED touch screens to burn out. Naim make good stuff, now they just need to work on their documentation…

The NDX2 is a cracking piece of kit, isn’t it.

Our one wish is for a default input setting, which would activate on power on.

When you’re listening to Tidal and go to standby, it’s annoying to restart to the menu with no selected input. Would be much more user friendly for us if it could default to our TV input, which is what it mostly gets used for.

Currently ripping CD 112 from SWMBO collection. So far everything recognised and has metadata. All old CDs. Result!

Tomorrow I’ll run them through Picard, sort a few cover issues and move the files onto main NAS music area, covered by Asset. Easy.

It was a frequent issue I had with the NS01 that in the last months of ownership it became more frequent that the search engines were failing to find the metadata. Sadly the problem persists with the Core, which appears to use the same databases, Rovi, Musicbrainz, Free db. Metadata has not been found for any of the CDs I have ripped so far with the Core.

Might be worth dropping Naim technical support an email about the not found CDs Clive (including saying which they were).

The problem with the NS01 and US/HDX is caused by an API change at Rovi that can’t be accommodated in the old servers, at least something like that.

But the Core is different and maybe it needs a further firmware update to sort it, because it was finding most metadata last time I ripped significant CDs (which is some months ago admittedly).

1 Like

I will do that, David. I will also mention the fact that I cannot see the new discs when I look at the Core on Windows File Explorer. When there’s a beta upgrade for the Core I will also switch the Source to beta.

That’s very strange.

The Core struggled with some opera CDs I had, but I’m ripping my way through SWMBO collection. Done well over 100 now. All have been recognised (including some obscure compilations) with only a very small number missing covers - which will be sorted by running through Picard.

I have found an answer to the question if ripped files not being visible in Windows File Explorer. @adeypoos reminded me of this thread from @Lowdene:

This says that albums ripped without metadata reside under the artist name, Unknown. Lo and behold, I have found five albums in that location. That means that none of the albums I have ripped with the Core have been allocated metadata during the ripping process. That issue remains, but at least one issue can be ticked off.

3 Likes

Credit given where credit not due - this was written by @Lownote (no relation).

How do you find the sound quality of the Core, please?

It’s fine, but it’s really hard to say. After all, there are many other things to consider, not least being the quality of the disc / mastering. Then there’s a multitude of boxes and cables etc. before you hear anything. However, remember that Naim Audio uses it to demonstrate its full range of streaming products and amplifiers up to and including Statement, so it can’t be too bad!

If you read up this thread, you’ll realise that I still have a couple of concerns with it at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks. Best of luck!

I’m listening to mine now via my NDX2 and imo it’s magic.

Thanks Pete. That Core/NDX2 route is what is on my mind for the future!

1 Like

I would echo Pete’s comments. I have had a core for maybe 4 years now. Upgrade from unitiserve. I am delighted with it, for me so far problem free. Ripping CDs, storing bandcamp downloads. If I can make it work (computers bore me to tears) anyone can. Good luck.

1 Like

You can choose the ripping quality in the app. Playback file quality seems to be only accessible during playback, when it will show if the large album art option is displayed.

1 Like

Thanks.

I did write to Naim Audio Support and received a fairly comprehensive reply in less than a week. I haven’t yet tried another backup, but one tip recommended was the usual switch off and back on again. I tried to rip an old Beatles CD, which I thought had to be on the search databases. Again nothing was found, so I cancelled the rip after a few tracks and did the power cycle as recommended and re ripped the disc. Guess what - it worked! Metadata all found. Now that I’ve ripped a few more CDs from my collection I could try another backup to see if it will do a differential one this time. That’ll have to be when I’ve a bit more time, but it’s a good result regarding metadata lookup.

Interesting about the metadata search working after a restart. That’s good to know.

The differential backup working after a restart is something that I can confirm from my own experience. Some time ago I had a backup suddenly threaten to be from scratch, (by which I mean it suggested a backup location which it wanted to format, rather than offer me my existing backup file to add to), so I cancelled the backup and did a power off restart of my Core. Once it was all back and looking normal I started a backup again and it immediately offered me my existing backup file and did a differential backup.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.