Earth stake fixture

Thanks Simon.

The electrical test at the time of the second dedicated HiFi radial was put in found the earth impedance was remarkably low. I think I will leave well alone with my installation other than perhaps seeing if the PME can be removed next time I have a need for other work or a test.

Still bemused by the thread/posts on the Peek enhancement to the MusicWorks mains block. A bit of special plastic on the base that reduces vibration presumably induced by playing music. Next upgrade will be enclosing everything in it. Maybe my rendered wall has a similar effect and plasterboard is the curse if you have it! I do prefer to understand the science.

I think the thread has covered some useful stuff to do with earthing.

Phil

1 Like

Simon, my copper coated earth stake is 1.8 m in lenght/ depth. I have that very same option to connect another stake vertical or truck trailer to 3.6 m deep, this is actually what they do in large industrial sites over here. My question, I read the best earth is at the first contact to ground zero or the first point of entry, so I’m considering instead of extending the length I could do a side by side connection or a piggy back hookup off the first stake, this would give me x2 points of ground zero. What is your opinion length vs side by side stakes?
I understand we are in different country’s and that you are probably unaware of the regulations over here. I can tell you it is legal in NZ and the electrical work will be done by a good friend of mine who is a qualified electrician with more than 30 years experience. I’m am also aware not to earth the street via my house too😱
Cheers

For safety earth, then I would consider a single deep electrode if the conductivity is good. If you are looking to sink RF then you need to have various lengths from source to optimum earthing point at .25 / .75 wavelengths and then multiple electrodes or a grid is usually in order.

1 Like

Thank you Sir

I wanted to get in touch regarding electric star earthing my olsen pdu. The internals are serial wired including live, neutrel and earth. Would all the internal socket wires have to be of equal length to do this correctly or can i just get away with the earth wires being of the same length. Or could i serial wire the live and neautral and radial wire the earth only as radially wiring everything would leave the wiring very untidly done. There is an earth bonding point for extra safety in this pdu so would i connect all the wires directly (earth) to this point or would i use some other connection bus bar for all the connections then connect the earth bonding point to this termination bus bar. Each earth wire will be individually ring crimped. So basically i am asking if the earth wires being exactly the same length really matter and will their be any difference in SQ. Also what sort of connection termination block would you suggest or should i just use the earth bonding point i mentioned earlier.
Sorry for the long winded explanation and thanks for reading this.

Your safety earth wires are fine being the same or different lengths.
It’s the total length to different electrodes when acting as a RF load/sink that one needs to measure for the frequencies being earthed.

The earth wires connect to the equipment casings, they are a safety requirement, they do not connect directly, if at all in some cases, to the signal circuits.

Arent they much cleaner less interference power supply though. You yourself radially wired your own diy pdu through the earthing wires so must be something to it.

… errr I don’t see your point, yes I have my power dist unit wired radial, why because I could. I also had the L&N in ring at one time. But whatever way, any SQ gains are from L&N only, this supplies traffo/rectifier/regulator & onward to the signal circuits. E connects to the unit casing as a safety earth.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.