Eating local ... or be more informed?

An old friend, who is an environmental lawyer posted this today. It’s an interesting and informative read. Of course it’s not just how far food has travelled, but how it is grown that matters; if it’s local you more likely to understand how it was grown / reared.

4 Likes

It really is one of the most effective measures, as well as controlling consumption, or, better, consuming according to real needs rather than desires, infinite these, and, once you become aware, you get used to it and do routine, it doesn’t really cost as much and just brings multiple benefits.

3 Likes

I’m always asking my local fishmonger for whole fish - mackerel, sardines and herring. He always tell me they were bought up by the French and Spanish market buyers before he could get a look in.
The local guy can’t sell me local produce, and I’m local !!!

3 Likes

Interesting article.

For me eating local is also eating seasonal and buying local ie independent shops as much as reasonable.

I think this is a lot to do with living in a rural and food producing area where we have a closer connection with produce and the origins thereof. We also grow a fair bit, at home and at an organic vegetable farm where my wife volunteers.

So local is about provenance, supporting local businesses and quality as much as anything.

Bruce

2 Likes

We have an organic veggie box delivered, and have done for about twenty years. The vast majority of the veg is grown by a couple who own a smallholding about ten miles away, so it’s direct from the grower to us. There are box schemes like Riverford where the veg travel hundreds of miles, which rather defeats the point.

1 Like

Too true … supporting the local economy is important too.
Of course us rural dwellers are a minority, and for many the produce at a farmers’ market is too expensive. Then again for many it’s not a convenient way to shop. This is a pity: as a newly qualified chap my Saturday morning trips to Portobello market were a treat - there was just time to get there before dashing off to a cricket or hockey match. Happy days.

It’s interesting that the transport element contributes ‘only’ about 5% of total emissions, but that’s still something that can be saved by eating local. The big change is in being aware of the huge cost of beef, and this does seem something that people are becoming a bit more aware of.

The wholesale destruction of rain forest just to get a few years of beef, only to leave barren denuded wasteland is an absolute scandal. But people expect food to be cheap. We don’t eat meat but I was talking to the local butcher who takes great pride in knowing where his meat is coming from. He told me that he cannot buy his steak for the price that some chain restaurants can sell it for, even after covering all their costs. So they must be paying hardly anything. Meat used to be a rare treat and hopefully will be again. If only lentils could be grown in the U.K.

2 Likes

My wife volunteers at a not for profit organisation that supllies veg boxes to the local community, hotels etc over a fairly small area as well as in its own shop.

When she sees a Riverford box she is spitting feathers!

Bruce

2 Likes

The vast cost of beef is down to the various production systems; I.e. feedlots in extensive farming systems. Grass fed beef, and sheep, don’t have such a significant impact. Nevertheless, it’s important to have a diverse farming system that rotates different species across the land; this helps maintain healthy animals and soil - putting carbon back into the soil, it is also helpful for the grazing to be multi-floral, which mixed stocking encourages. Of course, this takes more labour, but it suits smaller farms that exist in the grass growing areas in the U.K. and Ireland. Sadly, profit margins are small and may only support one generation of farmers.

1 Like

and i believe they are looking at feeding cattle sea weed toi reduce methane output too

1 Like

Oh great perhaps they can start with clearing that lot in Margate harbour.

1 Like

It also struck me that if that 5% was linked to ‘staples’ in our diets that may get used more frequently than beef, then the cumulative (as well as proportional effect for a specific foodstuff) is much higher.

1 Like

Then there is the whole benefit of supporting one’s local economy as well. It’s a bit of a win win all round.

1 Like

Unfortunately the UK is so far away from self sufficiency in food, energy and raw materials that eating local produce is nothing more than a pipe dream for most people. Nice idea if you can afford it, though.

2 Likes

Too true - the U.K. imports nearly 50% of its food requirements. Ok this not the same as how sustainable is our food production but it’s an indication. These imports have increased from 35% when I studied agriculture 15 years ago.
If you would like to read more, this site is informative:

2 Likes

For us the traditional British farming system has much merit. So it is not so much what you eat but where it comes from. We are content to occasionally enjoy a share of an 6-8 oz British steak. Quality not quantity. The fact is it is better for our health and better for the planet.

The challenge for all our futures is to gradually reject consumerism (with its profit at any cost motive) in favour of a sustainable future based on buying things that last. These values need to put into international agreements.

Phil

2 Likes

Give up the 2 worst outputs of pollution, making concrete and shipping.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.