Eddie Van Halen R.I.P

News just breaking regarding the sudden death of the popular guitarist.I am sure somebody more versed in his work than me can start a proper thread.

Thats a shock…great guitarist…RIP Eddie.

Apparently, he has had health issue for the last decade.

Yes, just been reading this, sad news, money just cannot buy you life. Always felt for women with breast cancer when Linda McCartney succumbed to it at the time…it did not give them much hope. Things are better, but obviously not there yet by any means.

1 Like

Legend.

6 Likes

Van Halen (first album) a staple of any good record collection.

11 Likes

It may be atypical I don’t know?, but my favourite Van Halen track is “Jump”

4 Likes

Can 2020 end already!!! Tough year all around. RIP Eddie

Jump’s brilliant. They are having a whale of a time:

4 Likes

In the (first) Dave Lee Roth era at least, VH combined extraordinary virtuosity with a finely-honed sense of the ridiculous. They were great fun – I remember seeing them supporting Black Sabbath in 1978, they were wonderful.

I think you’d have to be a little bit dead inside not to love 'em:

5 Likes

Aged a mere 65. What a shame.

Perfection:

I wore out that first Van Halen album when I was a kid. He was a rock legend to my generation. RIP.

4 Likes

And don’t forget his fab work on Michael Jackson’s ‘Beat it’

4 Likes

On Diver Down, Van Halen had a shot at jazz (with Eddie’s dad playing clarinet) and you know what, they all acquitted themselves very well, while putting a smile on the listener’s face.

2020?

Don’t think I’ll bother putting the clocks back at the end of the month, who needs an extra hour in this 2020? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

No s**t…well stated.

1 Like

You assume 2021 will be better… ?

1 Like

Another musical great gone. A great axeman for Van Halen and many others notably on Beat it for Jacko

If you measure a guitarist’s greatness by how many others he influenced, then there were few that were greater than Eddie.

1 Like