Eero and Google Mesh

Just curious if anyone is using latest gen streamer connected to Eero or Google Mesh. Reason I ask is that Naim tech support strongly recommended placing the device running the app on the 2.4 band to match the Naim device in order to avoid discovery issues.

My basic research suggests that these solutions do not allow 2.4 / 5 split, so I’m curious to understand if anyone uses these systems with no glitches in discovery on the network

I’m not using mesh… but I am running an ND5XS2 on 5GHz band, so I’m not sure I understand the advice.

1 Like

I run a ND5XS2 and have 3 Eero’s all running on 5Gz band. No problems at all. No drops never any discovery issues that I’m aware of.

1 Like

I’m having issues at the moment with my setup (see other thread I initiated) and ts recommend latching everything to 2.4. I’ve done this on my Sky system and it makes no difference.

It’s interesting you run happily on 5…thanks

1 Like

Not certain I understand the advice, either. I was always under the impression to use the 2.4 Ghz band, in general, as it covers a longer range. This especially makes sense if you’re planning to utilize a mesh system anyway (the assumption being you’re using it because you need it to cover areas further away from your router as I do).
I use an ND5 XS2, Google Home router and 3 mesh satellites, one on each floor. The Home is in the utility room in the basement, with a mesh unit just outside my listening room on the top floor above the garage. I use an Ethernet connection through the wall, but initially was using WiFi exclusively. You won’t have any issues…well, at least not with the Google Mesh/Home Router; I can’t speak for your WiFi reliability in your area.

EDIT: I see you’re having problems. Apologies. Not certain what to recommend then. Maybe use one band on most everything and run the other (your hi-fi) on a different band if you can?

EDIT 2: God, I’m no help at all. You said you can’t split them I see.

T/S claim that you get discovery issues if the Naim is on 2.4 and your phone/tablet is on 5

:grinning:
Exactly…the info I can see on Google and Eero says that they don’t allow split. On the Eero forums there are a load of complaints related to IoT devices only being able to use 2.4

Just to confirm…they run on both bands.
?

I get it now. Yeah, both brands, I believe, ‘automatically choose’ what devices receive which bands. I could be wrong, but I know Google is that way. I’ve just never really encountered this type of issue…yet. :roll_eyes: (I will now…now that I’ve said that)

Um. But it used to work with other new-generation streamers. And if the Star is hard wired (original setup?) which band the control device is on should make no difference. It’s possible that the router has had a firmware update.

Can you confirm everything is on the same subnet? What IP address are the streamer and control device?

At the risk of getting in over my head… is there an option in the Sky router to turn off IGMP snooping?

Edit - or am I a couple of days behind progress here and you’ve replaced Sky WiFi with mesh?

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re asking. Eero can run on both bands if that’s what you are asking. I think it picks automagically.

You said you used 5, so I was just checking that you gave not managed to split the frequencies…which you haven’t

1 Like

I told Naim it was wired but they claim it’s still preferable to force the phone onto 2.4

Hiya

192.168.0.30 for streamer and 192,168.0.17 for phone

Both on 255.255.255.0 subnet

Not tampered with Sky yet, other than split of 2.4 / 5. Can’t see any options around IGMP.

I smell b/s around the need to run on 2.4 as nobody else is reporting issues on a mixed mode setup.

My Ndx2 never had any issues with this.

Unitistar could be faulty…right ? I’ve asked Naim
How they can rule out an issue with the uniti

The Star could be faulty… but it’s much more likely to be something odd with the network. Networking looks as though it should be simple, but there’s an awful lot going on that we don’t usually need to worry about because it usually just works! Until it doesn’t…

@Simon-in-Suffolk is pretty good at this. He actually knows what IGMP snooping does!

The newer streamers work on 802.11ac which only operates on the 5GHz ISM band… so there should be no issue. 802.11n works on both ISM bands and will move around as appropriate. If you force protocols to only use 2.4GHz ISM, then you are denying the use of the most capable and efficient protocols such as 802.11ac… Aim to keep consistent, also by splitting and creating seperate SSIDs, one is creating unnecessary wifi management overhead, and likely reducing wifi throughput performance,

You really don’t want to undertake any fiddling around on the wifi access point… let it do it’s stuff… and don’t split the SSIDs into separate protocols/bands unless you really have to such as because you have some very old wifi devices on your network that work on very old protocols only, in which case only let these connect to the old device SSID.
The Naim should connect to the current unrestricted SSID.
Almost certainly the wifi access point is operating IGMP snooping automatically… you wouldn’t want to have IGMP snooping not active on a modern wifi, otherwise wifi performance could be seriously impacted.

If you are really stuck… there might be a device on your wifi causing issues… therefore you can try creating an SSID only for 802.11ac. and only let your Naim connect to it… and perhaps one or two other new devices.
Create a separate SSID for older protocols but restrict to 2.4GHz… don’t let the Naim and newer devices connect to this SSID.
Some consumer wifi access points should allow you to do this.

2 Likes

Thanks Simon. I will unsplit the WiFi.

Openreach came out today and removed an old bridge tap (for redundant telephone extension) in the master socket and upgraded the socket. Hasn’t made any noticeable difference, even though they said it would degrade performance.

Yes… by removing a bridge tap, you might see your SNR improve on your xDSL by a tiny amount… in other words your broadband may be a tiny bit faster.

I’ve put the router back to mixed mode and at least you can pull the Ethernet cable out and see the unitistar automatically latch to the WiFi. With everything pointed at 2.4 it didn’t do that.

Current behaviour is still that it takes multiple, 4 to 6, launches of the app before the upnp behaves itself. Irritating.