Eggleston Emma evo an Naim

Hi,

I was wondering if someone had an experience with the Eggleston Emma Eva and Naim electronic. I couldn’t listen to them with my own amplification (Nova) because the reseller doesn’t sell Naim products (…and I was too lazy to bring mine).

Best regards

Never heard or seen that brand of speakers. I would suggest packing up the NAIM NOVA and dropping by the dealers shop. Your ears would be the best starting point…

3 Likes

Hi Lutece,
A shop in Paris sells Egglestone, but they don’t have Naim. Generally this brand is associated with powerful Macintosh, Pass Labs, Classe, or Bryston.
Not sure the Nova is a great match, but you can bring your nova to an Egglestone dealer and see.

1 Like

Thank you Frenchrooster,

Not sure, but I think there is only one physical shop who sells them in Paris. I don’t think the Emma, even the new one (EVO), are very hard to drive but they seems to be very sensitive to the pairing. I don’t remember if I demoed them with a tube or a transistor amp (10 minutes only), but as they are very transparent and airy so I am wondering if they sound bright with a Naim amp.

Eggelston is not very known in France, maybe fellows from U.S are more familiar with the brand.

1 Like

The speakers look very classy, but at £7,500 they probably aren’t a great match with a Nova. Maybe you are considering a significant upgrade of the Naim.

1 Like

I think the price comparison (speakers vs Nova) suffers from what I presume are significant import charges. In the US the speakers actually seem to be cheaper than the Nova. Nevertheless, I agree that investing a good chunk of that £7.5k in electronics and opting for more modest speakers is likely to give a more satisfying result.

1 Like

Hi,

I am not sure that the price ratio, that can be explained by many factors (some are more relevant than others for the customer), is more important than signature symbiose (if the amp is aimed to drive them properly in term of power).

For instance, the McIntosh MA5300 is 5500$ in U.S and the Nova is 5990$, while in France the MA5300 is 6900€ and the is 5090€…I don’t think the McIntosh or the Nova will behave differently if they are plugged in Europe or U.S.

Some manufacturers can’t / don’t want to reduce production costs; some do not want to lower their margins while others insists on cost / efficiency…

I’ve heard Eggleston on a show, BIG american sound, not for me, demo recommended before parting cash

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. May I ask you what do you mean by « big american sound » ?

Not very refined i guess. “Not for the faint hearted”

1 Like

I’ve always liked the look of their small/medium sized floorstanders. They always get great reviews in the hifi press over the years for being easy to drive and not too fussy with ancillary equipment.
I’m sure they would be great with a Nova.
America is huge. Big roads, big cars, big burgers - but not everyone can afford a huge house with big rooms. I’ve always thought their speakers are for those with more modest taste and budget and a big love of music. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

EgglestonWorks are using Dynaudio and exclusive Morel drivers so they must have at least a smidgen of refinement me think?

1 Like

Maybe, I just translated what I thought the meaning of precedent post « big American sound « .
In cars, it would be « Ford Mustang GT », not really Italian style.

1 Like

For me « American sounds » is tweaked in a way that makes it more « confortable » than accurate : lot of bass, warm medium but not very dynamic, rarely bright and never harsh.

Makes me think of an imaginary Monty Python sketch.
Man walks into a shop…
“I would like to buy a wife. Not too bright and harsh. A big bottom and good at ordering from the menu whilst on foreign holidays”
Shop man…
“Yes, we have a nice American lady”

Another man walks into a shop…
“I would like to buy a wife. With a sweet sparkly brightness, a tight bouncy bottom and not afraid to put me in my place”
Shop man…
“Ah yes, we have a nice petite London lady”

4 Likes

I know what you mean fr. Staying with the car analogy, a mix of different philosophies can provide maximum enjoyement, e.g. 427ci. Ace Bristol Cobra :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.