Electric Vehicles - Round 4

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The bit that would worry me is battery lifetime, and how range diminishes with use/ charging over time. I guess leasing gets round that to an extent, but the OEM would have factored that into the lease price. Other than that you have to top up the washer/ wiper reservoir , tyre pressures and the items you mention.

Battery! ‘Recalibrate’ or renew…
Otherwise much would be only at high mileage intervals - suspension & steering components, bearings (wheel and motor), and at high age weather seals etc, maybe replacement of electronic component before failure, from display screens to control units etc?

Sounds good from the maintenance point of view. But electric vehicles still expensive to purchase as new, limited travel worrying about recharge and I heard from a user that the recharge lasts surprisingly long time. Also if traveling fast or long on eg motorways every day the battery will run down very fast (again just repeating what a user of electric car has experienced). Best to wait when electric cars will improve and not be so expensive.

On our i3 with normal use we hardly ever use the brakes so I’m sure that they will last ages. I worry about corrosion more than wear! Suspension bits will need occasional renewal but the motor is maintenance free.

BMW guarantee that at least 70% of battery life remains at 8 years or 100,000miles and most in the industry think that is very conservative. The batteries can be replaced of course, and I think they can be repaired in individual segments rather than only the whole unit. Not true of all EVs I think.

Most cars after 100,000miles will have had an exhaust, maybe a clutch, some degree engine servicing, timing chains, oil changes etc etc.

I think it is great but it remains an option for daily short and medium hops for now. I have just ordered a new ICE car for the long journeys and lugging bikes etc around but I will wager it will be my last.

Bruce

Thats much better than i thought, i stand corrected Bruce.

Here’s some data. Just about all the batteries ever put into electric cars are still on the road. I have seem some comments that the batteries in the first-gen low range Leaf have deteriorated enough to be problematic for some owners, but this car had a very limited range to begin with.

The batteries can be recycled or repurposed as fixed storage, where they can go for years and years. Neither of these industries really exist yet, due to a shortage of “expired” EV batteries.

1 Like

Not really, with respect to the drivetrain, anyway. Musk has opined (for what it is worth) that the drivetrains in the Model 3 are likely to last a million miles (equivalent to around 2 years of continuous driving). I have experience with electric motors in industrial applications lasting many times that long in terms of hours of operation.

Interesting - so Bruce what are the service intervals on your I3 ?

Annual I believe, only had it for 4 months so not been done yet. Car came with 3 years servicing bundled in the cost but I note that it is not especially cheap when you consider how little they do. BMW prices I guess.

Ok thanks Bruce. Just curious as I’m sure BMW will find a way of charging (no pun intended) I just don’t know for what. I’m due for a trip to the dealer soon for a service so i’ll enquire there.

My wife’s commuter car is a Ford Focus e. Depending on how much climate control is used, 85-110 miles range. Her round trip is about 35 mile. It’s a lease and we have done no maintenance now a year in. We were just talking about it yesterday that it’s probably time to call the dealer.

It’s not a great car regarding suspension, etc, but the drive train is flawless.

Tesla suggest …

Cabin Air Filter - every 2 years
HEPA Filter - every 3 years
Tyre Rotation - every 10-12k miles
Brake Fluid Test - every 2 years
AirCon Service - every 2, 4 or 6 years depending on model

So … not a lot really :sunglasses:

1 Like

I suppose the issues i have had with my cars over the years have been to do with the ancillary bits rather than the type of engine. I imagine that electric motors run smoother and cooler than IC engines so they should place less stress on the other bits of the car around them.

In my hybrid (it can regen under slowing) it is a known issue that brakes can have problems due to lack of use!

Now a days IC engines are finely developed bits of kit, I guess this shines through. The only IC specific regular service items requiring much effort are engine oil and oil filter change. Plugs and timing belts/chains are long service items, some lasting 10 years or 100k miles. .

Thanks all - some interesting comments. My 123D has just turned 10 and I suspect it will last for a few more years yet - it’s a good car and to be honest apart from tyres and servicing it costs very little to run. I want my next car to be electric and the I3 seems to be leading the pack at the moment, before you step up to the Tesla range.

Interesting times…

The i3 has a 24-month interval for servicing (I had one for three years from December 2015 to 2018 and did 39k miles in it). Some BMW dealers apparently take the proverbial and charge upwards of £300 for a service but there isn’t all that much to do - I got a service pack from new so I was covered for the one service I had.

I have had a Jaaaaaaaaaag iPace for 15 days now, which is something of a step up from the i3!

1 Like

As is the price ! :grinning:

Yup :grimacing:

1 Like

The new Nissan Leaf+ (60kwh) is a very capable electric vehicle that outperforms the i3 on most measures, and I believe is significantly cheaper.

1 Like

I need to report this. Bringing actual data onto a thread is surely not permitted!