Electronics upgrades on opening the midrange/more effortless sound

I found the hicap dr gave every thing you said but to me the bass was better controlled / more focused, so maybe you need to get used to the improvements and in time see if you need to have a little try at repositioning your speakers ( says me :laughing:)

1 Like

Yes, I notice improved control, more texture and detail in the bass but overall less weight. I was thinking of moving the speakers back a little. I might try it. Another solution is upgrading other part of my electronics(PS for my nDAC, different source) to increase the bass in a good way but I’m not sure how effective this would be. :slight_smile:

here is my experince over some years

SOURCE

CD5i moving to CDX2/XPS
first purchased in 2001 to get into NAIM - nice little CD player, good detail and image delivering very good sound - moved a couple of years later to CDX2 with XPS (202/200) even more detail over CD5i - this is when started lisening again to music in a serious way - just more detail, focus, PRaT as you would expect from upgrade

2014 moved from CDX2/XPS to NDX
need to remove CD library from room - 600++ and look at new format, did not hear a difference in music, if anything I felt it better more detail, wider and more difinative sound stage - benfit of APP also added direct link from router to NDX year later - massive step rather than those plugs

now really starting the uplift in quality with higher Res albums

better switch went from Netgear to Cisco - NAS is QNAP HS 218

LP12 - 2001
not the right forum for this just to add, always wanted one got an old girl from the 1980’s that was good, you can look on my Bio to see where I am now - IMO well set up LP12 is one of the finest sources in the HIFI world

PRE
planned a journey and wanted for go for seperates, when I looked at NDX also in the running then was of course the 272

202 - first step on the rung, also went HCDR 202 was then matched with my 200 (which I owned for 12 years) - good entry level pre and added to the both the CDX2 and NDX when in the system good detail and music worked much better with HCDR and purchased NPSCC

282 - few years later added in 282 over 202, kept the HCDR just more music. detail, focus, seperation - loved the 282 if slightly forward in music, but non the less for it very big improvement over the 202 - still pared wtih 200

282/SC - I had this for 8 months before I went 252, for me the uplift in 282 by the addition of SC (non DR) is massive and it opened up the music in the system which was a real joy

252/SC - been in just over 12 months, when it first landed in the system from new, OH NO what I have I done took a month to bed in, but from that moment on - pure music in every way superb Pre - just be aware it needs a source

AMP
200 - started with 200 non DR in 2001 still remember and love the sound of the 200, for me an underated AMP in the range, had enough drive for me and that soft musical presence it had was a joy

300 - owned my 200 for 12 years, so looking to upgrade to match pre and sources - jumped that the offer of my dealer when I was looking at 250DR for 300 then non DR - WOW! 300 was everthing I had read about the muscial presentation, focus, seperation etc etc

300DR had DR fitted in Feb 2018 - the results everthing the 300 had but more of everything, took an already superb AMP onto another level of musciality

everystep just added more music which is what we all want in whatever format this as vinyl or digital

4 Likes

Not an electronics upgrade as such but just last night I found an incredible midrange and soundstage “upgrade”. I removed my Neat MFS from their stands, removed and re-rolled the bluetac back into little peas and replaced the speakers. That stuff has been on there for years and it was squashed so flat and thin it may as well have not been there. I guess I got used to a gradual decline over time but the improvement was a great surprise, especially since it took 5 minutes and was free. I might even splash out on some brand new bluetac now…

1 Like

@Antz Thank you sharing with us your musical journey in such a detailed way! After every upgrade I make in my system I also wonder what more can be achieved and you can’t and won’t know until you upgrade again and see what you haven’t been experiencing before. It’s also interesting to think from where you have started and how your system has involved.

Before adding HiCap DR in my system I felt something in the music was absent, like there were holes in the musical representation or something hidden. This was combined with upgrading my digital cable to Chord Epic RCA to BNC which also lifted everything in a good direction.

@corsuse I have 3 main sources, good friends I have met on here to run ideas through the forum has lots of advice which is free the upgrades are not !! :grinning:

my dealer who has been more than happy to home demo or demo before you purchase I think of them now as friends who give me invoices! and then your own ears

most of all Enjoy the Journey and moreover the MUSIC!

1 Like

As you improve the signal going to your speakers that changes the way behave/ move so try moving them together/ apart / forwards & backwards. I have found and am still finding some times its the opposite of what you think you should do , if that makes sense .

2 Likes

Not familiar with Your speakers, so not sure of what they are capable of. It sounds like you may be looking for something Harbeth (my own speakers) do very well. But with the speakers you are using you may consider moving them closer together -one of the biggest mistakes people often make is placing the speakers too far apart. Good luck.

1 Like

I’m using Monitor Audio Gold 200 5G which has 2 bass reflex ports and usually produce a lot of bass. From times to times it was a bit boomy in room but with great authorithy and tightness. After the HiCap it is more refined and distinct but I feel it’s less deep and at least two times weaker than before. I still hope it’s something temporary and although the HiCap is bought second-hand it might not have been used for a while and it would require some time to properly settle and burn in to some extent.

Probably only a guide but how far apart would you suggest for floor and stand mounted?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.