Elegant solution for ND555 + cd transport?

Yes I want to have my cds ripped and get done with them for sure. So that is a one time chore essentially, and for sure I could store these files on the cloud or hard disk. If I had a direct connection from the transport to the dac of the nd555 then I could postpone the ripping because I could continue to listen to them as needed. From there to move them onto the nd555 I can use any server app (for instance AK connect is working very well for me), yet probably there are much better ones. And in this case I would prefer not to exit the naim ecosystem…if reasonable. The perfect solution would be a “reference series” Core. Or go “long” on Melco D100 + N10.
The good thing I have still so much to discover with the ND that I’m not in a hurry, yet.

Unless Melco have taken special care to isolate the D100’s drive reader from its transport section (and the size and power supply of the device do not suggest this to be the case), I certainly would not assume the D100 to be a “state of the art” transport. The D100 is a nice and well build CD reader, as its price also suggests. If you want a state of the art transport, I would look elsewhere. There are very good low budget products like the Allo DigiOne Signature (but then be prepared to invest in high quality power supplies) or more integrated solutions like the dCS Network Bridge or the Chord M Scaler.

Why don’t you just connect your ND555 to your LAN and run MinimServer or Asset on a networked RPi or NAS?

Alternatively, you could just connect a USB drive or stick with some rips or downloaded files to your ND555. To the best of my knowledge, the ND555 can also act as a UPnP server. You can then control both the server (running on the ND555) and the renderer (also running on the ND555 or on another networked Naim device) with the Naim app. As long as you are satisfied with what Naim understands to be a UPnP server (I guess it is the same that runs on the Core), you do not actually need any other device beyond the ND555.

I use a Melco D100 ripper and ND555 connected to a Melco SSD N1.

I only use the D100 to rip to my Melco N1 store, but if you want to use the D100 to play CDs direct you need to connect a USB dac to the ND555 as you cannot connect the transport directly to the Naim box.

I have not tried this and as DB has stated there seems little point in doing so.

When I first started streaming, I bought a Unitiserve. When I wanted to listen to a CD, I just loaded it into the slot, and accepted that I had to wait 5 minutes before I could play it. Whenever I walked past the Unitiserve, I’d put another CD in, and within a couple of weeks, my whole collection was ripped. The whole process was pretty painless.
Not being able to play the CD was an incentive to get them all ripped quickly, and only a small inconvenience of having to wait a short time. (Actually, I could have used the US as a CD player if I used the SPDIF out, but I didn’t bother.) It certainly felt good to have those CDs all boxed up and stored in the loft.

DB, thanks for all the insights.The response to your last question would be because the dac of the nd555 is better than the one in any cd player I have…so I would like to feed it with everything I have as cost effectively and simply as possible. And I understand now that this may not be possible through a direct connection.

Hi nbf, I didn’t realize the nd555 could be both server and renderer to its dac! I will definitely try this. Many thanks

Hi FR, one quick question but what does the “OP” stand for? Just curious!

nbpf I hear you. And agree on better not mixing problems. But sometimes convenient solutions exist. It just isn’t the case here.
Actually I already have a server with AK connect from my portable audio AK240. The nd555 recognizes it and I can stream from it, and it sounds pretty good already. So the door is open for a bigger box if this is the best solution, and even if I do not need all this multi room streaming.

I now understand also that I need just a state of the art ripper (which is simpler and cheaper) not a state of the art transport. Because once I have the files what matters is the server to my streamer. So from this perspective the D100 fits the bill as it is reasonably priced and yet a “state of the art” ripper. So I could rip to a NAS and then stream from the nd555. So that would be step 1, and then a few months/years later get the second melco box to replace the nas?

FR, I’m so astounded by the quality of direct streaming of Qobuz through mconnect hd on the nd555! I cannot imagine that it could get better once naim upgrades their software…
Anyway how is it possible that a small company like this can cook up a software that improves the sound of streaming in such an expensive device so much. What is it that they are doing to achieve this that naim couldn’t do themselves.
Thanks to you I spent only 1 day listening to suboptimal quality but probably there is quite a few of underwhelmed nd 555 buyers out there that just cannot imagine this?

Original poster. So you. I didn’t know this term before too…

Generally, for best sound quality, members with Naim streamers don’t use Qobuz with chromcast. The majority use Tidal, which is integrated in the streamers. But some use Qobuz with bubble upnp on their nas or pc, much better vs chromcast and even Tidal.
If you stream locally in the future, hirez files from a server or cd rips, it’s the best of all sound quality. So in your case the cd ripper with a nas or server would be the best. However the combo Melco ripper / common cheap nas may not sound as good as good server like Melco or Innuos with Dbpoweramp rips. If you understand what I mean.

1 Like

So my conclusion, my personal opinion of course, is that it’s better to invest first in a good server as Melco or Innuos than in a Melco ripper with a cheap noisy nas.
But other also think that it’s no worth to invest in a dedicated ripper and dedicated server…dbpoweramp and nas is enough for them.
Each one his opinion.

Yes you can certainly do that and then once you purchase a Melco storage device you can transfer the files across. Any subsequent CDs you want to rip can then go direct from the D100 to the Melco which will give you the best results. You can then use your NAS drive as a backup to the Melco.

1 Like

Probably the most elegant solution, a one box cd ripper / server , would be the Innuos zenith mk3. And not sure the Melco ripper would really rip better than the Innuos zenith.
I agree with Jimdog here.
At half the price of two box Melco n1z2 or EX ( new versions to come soon) and Melco D100.

Would you know a good place to listen to these devices in Paris?

I’m anxious to see if the naim integrated solution can improve on what I’m hearing right now on mconnect hd…

2 Likes

You can hear Melco in Versailles, on a naim system. But you have to call before.
As for Innuos, certainly somewhere in Paris. But don’t know exactly.
The dealer has only the second Melco, 2,5 k euros model. But not the ripper.

Perhaps wait a bit. If Qobuz integrated is really better than Tidal on the nd555, perhaps no need to invest in ripper and nas .
The only problem for me: I prefer the catalog of Tidal. And some albums don’t appear on both.

I think waiting for Qobuz integration makes a lot of sense. After a time listening to it, you can then decide do you want or need a ripper/server.

3 Likes