Emergency chest

My response was to @Guinnless who was referring to landline phones being independently powered, so still function if there is a power cut. I live in a “town” where the local telephone exchange serves a population of about 50,000, including local villages. I have been trying to get fibre broadband for a year and cannot even get on a waiting list. Mobile phones can be patchy to say the least so a landline is normal. Unless you have a generator for emergency then no cordless base unit, no router…

2 Likes

I stockpiled some goods ahead of the exit from the single market, not quite the disaster I was expecting, but the reserves got raided a few times during Lockdown.

I live in a remote rural area - and outages of a day or two whilst rare are not unknown.

Time to stock up on camping gas , tins of Baxters soup (almost a meal in itself) and batteries . Still have military grade lightsticks in profusion

Maybe a Roberts Radio (in bright yellow) beckons

2 Likes

I’ve not got full fibre but BT have already moved us over. I thought it was happening for everyone. So I assume we will all be cut off unless we find some power supply for the router.

Eventually the press will catch up on this story I guess when they realise lots of elderly people have no form of communication

2 Likes

Another great advance in modern technology that is a step backwards. VOIP no mains for router no phone.

2 Likes

But homes are much safer now. Noticed how this coincides with a massive drop off in emergency service calls? Obviously because in a blackout, everyone is safe in bed :wink:

Already discussed elsewhere…
I think the committee members that came up with the idea for ditching PSTN are a) too young to remember the age of frequent/long power cuts b) live with a very secure mains (not overhead, for example). Living where I do I’m only too aware that resorting to either voip or the mobile network is, in the case of a power cuts, simply not as secure and reliable as PSTN. e.g. a 12+ hour power cut earlier this year when it took the mobile masts out as well. Luckily we have a diesel car so we could drive 20 mins to where there was power and hence use the phones. If we’d have had an EV car which we were charging then even that option might not have been there.

3 Likes

Whether, and/or in how many years, depends where people live…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.