End of my tether

Interesting, is it possible that the design of speakers with full range drivers like the Zu’s pose an impedance mismatch with Naim amps, leading to an overdamped and dry sound? I’ve read comparisons of Zu’s to sounding like PA or guitar speakers. Perhaps the OP can try an in home demo of some conventional 2 or 3 ways to see if they work better…

2 Likes

Perhaps that’s a good idea, but trade them in for a nice simple integrated solution such as the Nova or SN3 + NDX2. Plenty of others from other brands that fit the bill

It’s a situation like yours that prompted me to downsize last year.
Don’t regret my decision for a second. At the end of the day all most of us want is to listen to music and the constant faffing around with this or that just gets in the way.
Don’t get me wrong, I still like to experiment a little (within certain constraints) but the overriding requirement is that it plays what I want when I want.

4 Likes

@mikehughescq No idea where you’e based but isn’t there a forum member who’s close by who could maybe pop over and help sort things out? Worth a shout if it’s something simple having invested heavily in all that kit for you not to be able to hear it at it’s best.

4 Likes

I can totally relate to this. I had an 8 box olive system and was continually tweaking and uncertain whether it was on song or not. Then the Uniti series came out and I was able to get the Naim sound (or enough of it to enjoy music) without the aggravation. Now very happy with my Nova.

I appreciate that this is an enthusiasts’ forum and many people seem to enjoy the tweaking but the idea of continually fiddling with cables and shuffling Fraim levels leaves me cold. It shouldn’t have to be that way!

8 Likes

Greater Manchester and… no idea. Again though I’m just not sure I’ve the energy right now.

It definitely should not be this hard Mike. All the best with it whatever you decide to do.

C.

2 Likes

That all sounds really weird. I’m not sure I understand how it could be the mains that causes such a problem without other problems being fairly apparent. My first thought would be the pre-amplifier (or, in an active system, the crossover), particularly if it is a severe or total loss of bass/mids (assuming the tweeters are not the only drivers that are working).
But very sorry to hear of your problems - it must be really disappointing and annoying.

“Zu designs are super-efficient, and the Soul Superfly is no different, boasting a very healthy 101dB @ 1 watt spec”.
:open_mouth:
The volume pot on the 202 must barely move! Is it out of its normal working parameters here?
:thinking:

2 Likes

Mike, I’ve sent Mark R a link to this thread - as you say he’s been involved with it earlier then he may be able to recall anything that’s worth checking out or investigating further.

8 Likes

Totally agree. I’m sure Naim would agree too.

@mikehughescq I really hope you can get it sorted. When I had humming transformers and radio breakthrough some years ago, I tried to solve it, but couldn’t. In the end I sold the lot and went for something simpler. I am now delighted. I have a system that I simply need to switch on when I want to play music and after 15 minutes warm up sounds superb. I don’t think I could have achieved that with the original system I had in my cottage.

3 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@pev999,…You probably misunderstand this.

Them among us,.who are a bit more knowledgeable in installing and optimizing a music-system.
If we move house,.and shall put up the music-system in a brand new room.
It takes about a year before all the parameters fall into place.

:small_orange_diamond:All this with the best location of the music-system in the room,.often you get to try all four walls.
• Dedicated mains.
• System-Tuning.
• Acoustic actions.
• Room-Tuning.
• Cable-dressing etc,etc…
Yes the list can be done long.

But once this is done,.well then it’s just the usual maintenance of your music-system,about every seven months.

But,.the more advanced the music-system you have is,.the clearer you hear if things are not as it should.
The whole system becomes more sensitive.

• Therefore,.I usually recommend that you shall not get an active music-system,if you are not really obsessed :wink:.

Think of a Super-car (Ferrari etc),.compared to a regular car.
With its peak performance,.the Ferrari car needs much more maintenance.

Then this,.that many have an interest in that constantly trying to improve.
It is in many people’s DNA,.that all the time want to move forward.

But it chooses you yourself,.the advantage of this forum is.
That,.you can get free tips and advice,from those who constantly want to move forward.
A Win-Win situation in other words.
So appreciate this,.instead of constantly trying to ironize over it.

:small_blue_diamond:But @mikehughescq,.I hope you find the error in your system,because I understand that you feel frustration.

Ps: There is absolutely no music-system that sounds 100% optimum,.after 15 minutes of warm up.

:black_small_square:"I’m sure Naim would agree too."

And this comment above,.I do not understand at all.
How can you make such a statement.?
Naim is really “Attention To Detail”.

They have,.among other things,their “Cable-Shaker”,.and work with torque-settings.
And their Burndy-cable should not take in the floor etc,etc.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Life is too short for long tethers, especially when it comes to silly sound systems. No sense in spending small fortunes and tons of time only to end up looking for missing mids or bass. If iNAIM doesn’t work then it doesn’t work. Fix the bathroom first and then find yourself another simpler set-up that pleases you at your place. Believe me, there are plenty. Good luck.

7 Likes

FWIW, but I did hear myself using this phrase recently. You are guilty for that, Peder! :slight_smile:

1 Like

How does that sound ? Different to your CDX2 ? Can you try another source into the pre ?
Could be the CDX2 giving up the ghost sooner than you hoped.

A real shame but I understand where you are coming from. I had an unhealthy obsession with a certain car manufacturer and had 3, all a complete PITA despite being seen as a “desirable” or high end product. I ventured on for years trying and failing, and by the sound of it I got to the point you are at with Naim. I sold the car, swore never to go back and am so much happier for it. I moved on to another brand, is prob 95% of what the original car was supposed to be but that extra 5% is just not worth the agro involved. It would be huge shame to loose your Naim setup, but if it does not work for you and is causing you heartache, move on life is too short. If things dont work out, you can always go back and all it will cost you is some cash

1 Like

After having done every changes and tweaks possible to bring the system to it’s maximum potential, you realize the sound is off the next day.

I suspect voltage fluctuations and noise from the electrical power grid could be the culprit depending on the day of the week and hour of the day.

There has to be an end to tweaking at one time!

1 Like

Err… actually I do understand that I’m not willing to put with a year of farting about before I can relax and just listen to the music. I appreciate that for some people the slightest nuance of resolution is critical and anything less makes their system unlistenable. It’s good that we are all different and it’s not about being less knowledgable - I’m just not wired that way and have other things in my life that are more important.
I wil refrain from calling you out for being patronising as I appreciate English is not your first language and usually enjoy your posts - even the jokes!
Regards
Pev

12 Likes

My first thought was that lack of midrange and bass sounds like speaker positioning or room acoustics to me?

Must be infuriating not being able to enjoy your music so the rant is fully justified.

I’m over the Pennines but would be happy to help, I certainly feel your pain!

I have an XS2 amp sat in its box at home waiting for me to get around to moving it on or finding a use for, I’m sure there are other members nearby that also have cables etc that could make up a system to try out?

Sounds like a good suggestion to explore – maybe that’s the solution here too.