End of my tether

No, we don’t have the Innuos as yet but that is a decision which we have collectively made. At some point an order will be placed.

I don’t know why Mike prefers usb connecting vs Upnp mode.
As audiophile Nas/ ripper don’t exist without a streaming platform ( apart Uniticore), there is to my eyes no redundancy.
With my Nds, I went from Unitserve to Melco n1a2 to Melco n1z2 , both in Ethernet connecting, and was amazed by the upgrade in sound.
To have similar results, it’s necessary to buy an expensive usb cable like Audiophileo or Innnuos reclocker.
The best sound for money and Naim coherence would be Ndx2 / Xps dr/ Uniticore.

Thus why I’m contemplating 2 Innuos boxes i.e. also the reclocker.

Your enthusiasm for Melco is only matched by my utter indifference to them. There’s no objective truth here. We all have different ears.

They appear to be fine devices, esp. if one needs their ripping capabilities (I personally wouldn’t as I did my collection years ago) and the choice I would make over Naim as well if those two were my choices, esp considering the Naim streamers current firmware imbroglio. I would stop procrastinating with forum questions (which will result in going in circles mostly) and order one today and get to enjoying the music!

I wrote Melco because I own it. But I am quite sure I would have the same experience with an Innuos zenith 3.
What can I say is that today, among audiophiles ( I read other forums), Usb is more and more considered as a weak connecting. Most people use UPNP mode today, with dacs with onboard steamer( Naim, Linn, Msb, DCS…) or connected to a streaming bridge ( DCS network bridge, Lumin, Emm Labs, Auralic…).
Or buy expensive Usb/Spdif converters…like Innuos reclocker.
But there are a minority. Even with a chord dac, most prefer a streaming bridge like Sonore Optical rendu or DCS, vs a server/streamer in Usb.

Sounds like a plan, Mike. There are lots of options, but I think the ones you have outlined are a good starting point for your auditions and will allow you to determine the best direction to go.

Hope all goes well.

James

1 Like

The tether, I see, has now been lengthened

3 Likes

UPnP is a weak link - witness all the comments on the various cable and switch threads on this forum! I have no idea if USB is weak - I haven’t compared with SPDIF because the latter on my setup means succumbing to Mac’s audio hardware and software, whereas I can use a dedicated USB bus that completely bypasses any Mac influence to only do what Audirvana does. I cannot say it is perfect, but it is certainly pretty good. If I can avoid it I NEVER want to stream across a network, as that seems to be the root of a lot of evil! If one day I try the MScaler, that might make an effective bridge between USB and the DAC.

@Innocent_Bystander I use USB from my Auralic to Chord Dac, simply because USB will do any format. 16/44.1 to DSD 512 granted I do use a really really good USB cable, Audience, Front Row. It sounds great on everything. Also the Auralic has dual Femto Clocks 1 for Spidf outputs and 1 for USB. I’ve thought of a better NAS but I’m not convinced. My Synology running Minimserver sounds great. Once I get the new speakers and other new stuff really run in I’ll probably look at a Melco. And Mr. Rooster I use WiFi to get digits from the internet or NAS to Auralic.

1 Like

IB, i reported what I read currently elsewhere. Most users with high end systems prefer UPNP. With a minimum attention to the Network, I don’t think it’s a weak link.
When I read reviews on Melco, Innuos, Antipodes, all reviewers found a superiority in the UPNP mode vs Usb.
I don’t say your source is not optimal. But have you tried a streaming bridge with your Dave. Perhaps you would be very surprised.

But in your case the Usb is only the link between the streaming bridge ( Auralic) and the dac. So you use UPNP mode too.
Your server /Nas is not connected in Usb to the dac.

Yes you are correct Sir!

1 Like

I keep thinking that I should try the Gustard U12 that I still have to go from USB to SPDIF, but still that would have a USB link. I just don’t enjoy the whole business of comparing things finding it very tedious unless a huge difference, so it is awaiting spare time. The only other “bridge” I might consider instead of the Gustard is the MScaler, if that counts!

Meanwhile I really appreciate the benefit of no-network streaming, so the thought of switching back to a UPnP server plus a UPnP renderer does not appeal.

Anyone else think this thread has run its course?

9 Likes

With you there. Having an nDAC+555DR, the Innuos Zenith made sense and also the Audiophilleo + PurePower when I switched from CDX2. I still have the CDX2.

Phil

Suppose it could change title to ‘ Tether 2’ :thinking:

3 Likes

The OP has two main choices ( he cited them recently):
Ndx2 / Innuos ( UPNP mode)
or Innuos / Usb reclocker / optional dac ( usb mode)

So the recent discussion may help , perhaps…

Did somebody mention switches and clocks?! :pleading_face::rofl:

6 Likes

It may be a very, very long tether. We can’t yet be sure because we are not quite at the end of it.

6 Likes

“optional DAC”?

Optional in what sense?