End of my tether

I think you’ve nicely summed up where I’m at. Only 2 weeks in. Christmas tree is down so left speaker no longer blocked. Sounds thin on some stuff and fantastic on others. Cable dressing and a decent wireless bridge need to be addressed. Ditto speaker position and height. Will only pursue other routes such as resistors or TT2 as amp once those are all done and dusted.

In the meantime there’s enough enjoyment to enthuse me on all of the above.

1 Like

Definitive statement from Chord then. Absolutely do not connect the TT2 direct to speakers. Narrows down the options but not necessarily in a bad way.

Where did you get this info? Rob Watts himself drives his B&W 803’s
(I believe) directly off his TT2.

1 Like

Email from Chord in response to a direct query from myself as indeed suggested here.

“… our advice now is; regardless of sensitivity or impedance do not connect speakers directly to the TT2. We’re aware of the comments that Rob made about connecting speakers directly but the components in the output stage weren’t selected for driving speakers and we really don’t recommend it.”

Well that is interesting, I just went to the Chord website, and looked at the TT2 user manual (PDF), and this is directly stated in the manual:

When in Amplification Mode,
it is possible to drive efficient bookshelf or horn speakers (with suitable cabling), directly from Hugo TT 2’s outputs.

Time to update their owners manual it appears.

2 Likes

I had the same feedback when recently discussing my amplifier options with a Chord dealer for driving any speaker from my own TT2 - I.e.Chord are now actively stating that there should not be direct connection of the TT2 and speakers.

I have done this myself in the past (TT2/SCM11) without apparent ill-effects, but won’t do so again.

I now have a brand new SN3, to replace my older pre & power amps, in order to counteract any future want or need to do this again in my system - and to enjoy the music which is surely the main purpose.

1 Like

Maybe Chord have had a few returned TT2 with blown components after driving speakers.

1 Like

Similar thought here – otherwise the U-turn doesn’t really make sense.

1 Like

I drove Dynaudio excite 12’s with my TT 2 for about 6-8 months with no problems. There is some chatter on head-fi about TT2’s failing, something about clicking noise on power up, that will not stop. My unit has been flawless, but I leave mine on 24/7.

It would have been interesting to try but whilst everyone seemed clear there would be no issue re: 101db/W sensitivity it was interesting how literally no-one was prepared to say 16ohm would work. I’m kind of pleased it’s narrowed down my options.

Now the Christmas tree is down and the living space reclaimed I’m finding myself listening for a couple of hours every night with and without Mrs. H. Have found a sweet spot at relatively low volume for most music bar rock (which lacks power/body). Set iPeng at around 70% having checked in with them about any reduction in resolution and that gives me a range of volume pot movement on the 202 pretty much like I used to have with the CDX2.

For now I’m happy ripping CDs and experimenting with online purchases. Once the CDs are ripped I’m going to experiment with resetting my speaker position and height. Once that’s done I’ll have a think about loading resistors. Several people have suggested 10ohm would be the sweet spot. I’m not clear as to why but nearer the time I’ll check in with Naim staffers here as to whether using them might impact the amplification detrimentally in any way.

That’s also interesting. They do tend to run warm as Chord concede. The same email I refer to above suggested I ought to be putting the TT2 into standby when not in use. I need to read up on how to do that.

I think that simply means use remote to “turn off/put into standby” but leave everything else plugged in attached, that’s how I use the Dave.

1 Like

I replaced the standard Chord SMPS on my TT2 earlier this week with an Sbooster 15v(15v/16v actually) LPSU - i.e. a CE certified product with the correct power output - I could discern a slight improvement via headphones, so the confirmation bias is positive. I won’t use any cliches to describe the improvement.

@Simon-in-Suffolk has an Mcru entry one lps on Hugo. I don’t remember if he had shared the results.

Unless you want to encourage customers to purchase a power amp :wink:

There could well be reasons relating to returned items, no way to know for sure… but, I have to say that the addition of Etude did make a big difference!

Yes I liked it compared to the stock PSU which I think had started to go off with age. The MCRU seemed to provide a slightly more detailed rendition, but most significantly a weightier and punchier bass response… overall I’d recommend with Hugo 1.

1 Like

Since this will be close enough to on-topic, I just received a Chord Qutest and wonder what folks’ opinions/experiences are with RMS output. Filter-wise, I know I’ll likely go with and stay with the Incisive Neutral filter, but for RMS voltage output what is recommended? In my case, combined 89dB speaker sensitivity and a SuperNait 2? I figured 2v is safe, but read so many conflicting things due to everyone’s different situations. With an active pre volume in the SN2, what do you guys think; what will give me the best sound between the three selectable options?

I had a Quetest with SN2 I preferred 2v… 1v isn’t enough, 3v seemed to be a bit aggressive. I tried for ages to get the spec for Input Overload never could get them. My new amp has an input overload at 6v, and I use the 3v output knowing I won’t clip the input. FYI 2v is about the standard output for most digital devices.

1 Like

Thank you @opus! I thought I read somewhere that the SN2 was good until 7v for input overload, so no matter what was used you were covered, but 3v limits the headroom here.
Agreed that most CD players and streamers are 2v—a pretty like-for-like scenario. I just wondered if 3v gave it more of what many are reporting: more weight, openness and air. I realize these can often be pretty superlative statements that I always take with a grain of salt, but it was worth posing the question.

You won’t hurt anything trying 3v and it’s easy enough to try. :grinning:

1 Like