England Rugby. No.10

I agree - either solution would work- I prefer stop the clock though as probably easier to implement consistently

Agreed. Iā€™m on the same page with that insightful analysisā€¦

Itā€™s frustrating to watch RSA choke and strangle teams. It might be effective. But itā€™s not attractive rugby.

My worry for ENG today, is in the front row. Iā€™m delighted to give the younger guys a go. Just maybe not against RSA as one of the first few caps. If you give that RSA front 5 anything, they will mince you in the set pieces, Scrum and Line Out. Iā€™m really hoping we donā€™t give away scrum penalties and cheap 3 point kicks.

The replacement hooker was off with his throw-in last week. Hope heā€™s been practicing hard all week.

Quite excited to see how Smith handles things, (with out a receiving partner). Although, you can guarantee RSA will close space and time to impede his efforts.

Just hoping for some quick ball and to keep those big RSA units moving around. Thatā€™s the way to beat them.

Come on England

All it should take in any game of rugby (union) is to have a strong referee, which is how the English Prem refs have acted at times. The ref is the law on the pitch.

Sadly, game delays are endemic nowadays, in the womenā€™s games too. IIRC, against NZ, there was a material break ~3mins in and the water-persons flooded the pitch - 3 bl**dy minutes!!!

Thing is, crowds and the TV/media seem to feast on ā€˜big hitsā€™ and aspects of power rugby, which the lawmakers (arguably through inaction in part) have fostered e.g. since when has being crouched on all fours (not even heads-up Sumo-style) equated to staying on oneā€™s feet and it would be very easy to preclude a kicking team from competing for a ball in the air, in the process removing this very dangerous potential event, and also reducing the ā€˜gainā€™ from kicking.

Squashed in the scrum, line out in bits, wrong side of the penalty count. Told you so :grin:

As expected, that was a meat grinderā€¦
Well, being positive, at least the side trying to play proper rugby won today.

I think a one point differential of the 53 scored cannot be counted as a real victory - especially when the ref (whoever that may be) plays a part in the game. I thought Mr. Brace did very well todayā€¦and England also did well to avoid scrummaging as best possible but still suffered in H2, plus their line-out was a shambles.

But it showed how the Boks can be defeated, with quick ball and throwing it wide. Hallelujah on this latter aspect.

Iā€™ve too many pints of that well-known black Irish liquid inside me to provide deeper and meaningful comment at this time! Needless to say the crowd had a great timeā€¦in the spirit of rugby, where one drinks with the supporters of the losing team without any acrimony or animosity.

2 Likes

Via La France, good weekend for northern hemisphere teams. Good for rugby all round.

2 Likes

I think youā€™ll find that a win is called when one team scores more than the other - irrespective of the margin :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Great performance by England - thoroughly delighted with that
Exposed the Boks defence a number of times, again silly penalties hindered us - but a win is a win

1 Like

I think this is worth a watch - Joe Marler with some of the Irish black stuff too (by the looks).

2 Likes

RSA have the ā€œbomb squadā€
England have Joe Marler. :joy:

1 Like

Have read an extract from EJā€™s book in the on-line Torygraph today and letā€™s just say Iā€™ll be giving it a miss.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.