English Electric 8Switch

Oh Stephen.

2 Likes

FR has started a new thread if anyone is interested. Seems reasonable given that the EE switch can’t use fibre.

1 Like

Sorry, I feel as if I opened up this can of worms. I do think Richard is right though - they are all related. Just how much else is there to discuss on the EE switch as it is? :wink:

I have 2 EE8’s and didn’t even know it does optical, so I’m right confused.

But I do have an optical splitter…it’s not the EE8 though>…

Oh my…

2 Likes

It doesn’t Mike, the EE is copper only. The thread drifted and there’s now another (!) thread on Fibre which I’m sure will come to the same conclusion…

Network fiddling continued

1 Like

Oh… I don’t have the energy for another cable thread.

2 Likes

I’m still trying to comprehend the first.

3 Likes

I’m just old enough to remember how simple playing a record was…

5 Likes

?
Azimuth, VTA, arm/cartridge combinations, phono stage matching, low mass rigid vs suspended vs high mass, optimum material for the platter and mat, etc, etc :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s always been as tweaky as you want to get.

My NDS is connected via ordinary cable to a bog standard TP-Link switch running from a normal IT Buffalo NAS. It sounds fabulous. Could it sound better? Probably. Can I be bothered to tweak? No, I’ll just kick back and enjoy the music.

I totally appreciate that for some the tweaking is a large part of the enjoyment.

3 Likes

Heretic :joy:

2 Likes

I’m considering replacement of my my basic (cheap) TP-Link switch with the new English Electric 8Switch. My simple system is router cable >TP-Link > 2patches feeding Uniti Core & NAC272. Substituting the TP-Link with the EE8 switch, am I correct in understanding that the router cable should be connected to the EE8 “in” port with patch cables to the Core & 272 connected to any of the other EE8 ports? I want to make sure that using the “in” port will let the Naim app control the 272 & Core over the router’s Wi-Fi. Many thanks

Yes, you are correct. I have a EE switch, to which the router is connected to the “in” port. I also have connected a 272, Core and UPnP bridge (for Roon and Quboz). All works fine.

Had one installed on Friday wired as per your description all works fine with my ND555 and Core.

I’m not sure about that “IN” port.
Define what is “IN” with both Internet & NAS steaming ethernet feeds.
I note the switch mnftr Thunder Data does not have an “IN” on their own (identical) Silent Angel Bonn-N8 switch

Nevertheless that is what Chord say, as per this diagram on their EE website:

Best

David

Yes I saw the diagram when they first launched it; I remain sceptically unconvinced

@davidhendon
I just took a look at the Silent Angel Bonn-n8 user manual … they have the same diagram, only difference is the EE “IN” port is marked “1”, and the port numbers are reversed 8 down to 1.
No reason given, they just say to connect port 1 to LAN

Maybe it’s just a case of keeping the noisier traffic away from the lesser noisier traffic? All the ports are same. Plug streamer and NAS into ports 1&2 - keep router as far away as possible? That is what i do on my Cisco anyhow…

So called ‘noise’ doesn’t respect a few inches between ports. If there is anything that might be logical, it will be crosstalk.
However the EE switch has 32x discrete galvanic isolators, unlike the usual doubled up 2 port blocks used in most commercial switches, so even my crosstalk idea is a bit far fetched.

1 Like

I know the EE and Bonn switches have virtually identical cases, but I’ve not seen anything to confirm the innards are identical. Have you?