English Electric 8Switch

I had been thinking about an LPS for my EE 8Switch or swapping it for an ER.
I’ve decided to sit tight with what I have. Question is, should I obtain an LPS for my Roon Nucleus or just sit back and enjoy what I have?
I do need to upgrade the Chord C-Stream that came with the 8Switch. Great cheap cable but not equal to the rest of my system.

They do, but IMHO things remain unexplained

I only meant regarding the disconnect that I am perceiving here re the LPS thing

Me too re the 8Switch. About the LPS for the Nucleus, I believe it was Thomas who performed extended tests and did not find a difference if the server was in the network, only with a USB connection or something. I am not summoning him with @ on purpose because I am not 100% it was he, better search.

1 Like

Mmmm, that doesn’t make any sense to me I’m afraid.

What doesn’t?

I think that unless the USB output is being used, no LPS is needed. With UPS, the Nucleus is supplying power for it so it might make a difference.

Wires crossed? “unless the USB output is being used, no LPS is needed” is what I wrote that I seem to remember from Thomas, and I didn’t say anything about a UPS :slight_smile:
But anyway better not to rely on my likely faulty recollection, this is one of his related posts that I meant, I think there were also earlier, more detailed ones somewhere (searching for Thomas by username and a keyword like Roon or Teddy or something should turn them up)

Mine should be here today. I’m curious to hear how it sounds. Blue Jeans Cat 6A! Hurry up Amazon…

2 Likes

6A is the one you want. Sounds better.

2 Likes

I also have the BJC Cat6a from router to 8Switch and from there to the Roon ROCK and the NDX2. Sounds all great to me, but as usual no comparisons (yet)

Edit: Like HH says. Graeme above also wrote 6a, just a copy error?

2 Likes

Not sure. I’ve known from experience to get the 6A. That little Chord-C stream is just a little to short for me.

We are just confused because you quoted Graeme but the -a from his original post was missing and your post says “BJ Cat 6”

1 Like

Gotcha thanks.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the Catsnake Design A floating. Very good for the price.
( I post that for new readers…)

1 Like

Thanks for parentheses :wink:

2 Likes

Not very well made though. Both ones I bought the plugs are very loose and prone to come out of the shielding.

1 Like

I thought the Catsnake sounded weird and sent it back. BJC are hard to beat at the price and you can get them in different colours so you know which is which.

5 Likes

I failed hard at this and cursed myself during installation :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hadn’t that problem with mine. There are 3 camps: Blue Jeans, Catsnake and Vodka fans.

There may well be, but I am not one to follow my leader. I’m in the if it works camp. They didn’t change anything for me audio wise which is no surprise as yet to find anything that does to any real noticeable effect. I sent one back that completely failed to work because of this poor quality issue. I won’t be buying any more.

1 Like

I’ve had best results with Hagibis Cat8 (AliEx) and LinkUp Cat8. DIY Canford audio Cat 7 with Telegartner plugs seems ok too. Belden 5e unshielded didn’t stay in my system long.

I have a length of the Belden 6A that seems to be a favourite on this forum but I haven’t made any cables up yet. Generally the solid core, higher speed cables seem to sound a touch more “live” than anything stranded I’ve tried until now.

Has anyone tried any Cat 8 cables?