English Electric 8Switch

Have not enough motivation for that and don’t believe in that. The new streaming platform is better, but particularly for online streaming.
I don’t stream online.
The Nds costed nearly 10 k euros when launched. It’s not on the same league as the Nd5xs2. The streaming platform, dac , are decoupled on brass springs, and are sharing the 555 dr external ps.
The Nd5xs2 has an internal ps.
The new streaming platform is not all.

2 Likes

Fair enough! I’m just teasing you from another thread…

1 Like

I found the opposite and quickly removed the Chord 0.75m ‘Cat7’ for the BJC Cat6a ‘full loom’.

G

3 Likes

Interesting, so it is the opposite for the Linn streamers?

Thanks , I’ve not had chance to get things set up properly yet but I’ll certainly try both . At the moment I’ve got the stock Chord into the switch and a Meicord that I’ve been using for some time into my DAC . I’m going to use the Meicord into the switch then see what’s best for the DAC . The 2 spare cables will go into the TV and Sky box .

1 Like

It struck me of course that the above was with my old NDX2. I’ve tried the Chord again this morning with the ND555 and think the Chord possibly edges it. Ever so slightly more focussed with less smear…a tighter less ‘glarey’ (dryer?) presentation.

Fun and games. I’ll leave it in place for now.

G

4 Likes

Maybe @Stephen_Tate can advise on the English Electric EE8 vs. The English Electric Deltic- although I have 2 x EE8 I know I prefer the amazing sound of the Deltic at full throttle (it’s engine design was derived from motor torpedo boats )

1 Like

I came to a similar conclusion after listening to BJC, Catsnake and the Chord C-stream. I have a complete run of BJC up to the switch and then use the Chord patch.

It was a similar outcome when we did a blind listening test at my dealers with these three cables. Four out of five of us preferred the Chord with one vote for the Catsnake.

Your description fits very closely with how I’d describe the Chord, quite well balanced with a nice dry sound. The Catsnake had more bass but soundsa little messy and thin on he top end with the BJC sounding a tad edgy.

4 Likes

After a quick comparison I’m going to settle with BJC into the switch and my original Meicord into the DAC . The Chord is the perfect length to go into my Sky box so that’s where it will stay .

2 Likes

So has anyone tried the Bonn Forester F1 power supply with their 8switch ? It’s designed for the Bonn N8 which I assume is essentially the same as the 8switch but just a different case. Thing is it costs about as much as the 8switch again…

Crifo

Jun 3

The Forester brings a tremendous amount of air and weight to the Bonn N8 soundstage, with it background noise disappears and its clarity can be confusing.
These things that she does wonderfully, are at the expense of PRAT and overall consistency, the scene smooths out and goes back a good notch, the musical involvement is less.

With the SBooster, it’s more rock’n’roll, it’s rhythmic, there is more grain and fat, but all finesse. It can be found at times a bit overwhelming, which may not be suitable for some devices that already have a full low midrange (meat on the bone), but what it does on the Bonn N8, it does really well and remains inimitable.

@IvdZ uses the Forrester with the Silent Bonn 8 and likes it.

1 Like

@frenchrooster agree, the Forester was an investment worth. It add a lot if clarity and detail to the Silent Angel. I know there is a lot of talk around the EE here - and that’s perfectly fine - but Ibam not cha,ging my Bonn N8 / Forester combo

Iver

2 Likes

@Moonglum I can confirm @frenchrooster 's impression, but only partly: “The Forester brings a tremendous amount of air and weight to the Bonn N8 soundstage, with it background noise disappears”.
Gladly I haven’t experienced this “at the expense of PRAT and overall consistency, the scene smooths out and goes back a good notch, the musical involvement is less”.
The combo EE8 & SA F1 sounds great (in my room & setup😉)! Various and moreover personal opinions! Maybe just give it a demo and experience the difference in your specific setup? Suc6.

1 Like

Mike, it was @Crifo impressions . I have personally the Innuos PhoenixNet.

Sorry! … Innous PhoenixNet: (will sound) impressive! rgds

1 Like

As discussed previously, it’s surprising that Chord is leaving money on the table by not packaging a power supply.

Perhaps he would not sell enough of them, would not make enough profit.

1 Like

They do provide a power supply. It’s just that everyone expects they can do better :grin:

1 Like

English Electric provide a power supply for the EE8 switch? Are you sure?

Yep, it’s in the box.

3 Likes