English Electric 8Switch

Thanks for your kind words, but I am sure my views have no more prominence than most others on this forum.

These switches may sound beneficial in your setup, and if you can put up with the hassle of arranging a return should they prove not beneficial then pretty low risk.

I do have reservations on their network performance, as opposed to PHYsical layer performance, however putting a Cisco Catalyst ahead of these switches such as I suggested to @Stephen_Tate such that it acts as an IGMP / multicast group network shield for them should address that concernā€¦ as long as only the streamer is plugged into the audiophile switch.

1 Like

It sounds interestingā€¦ I canā€™t wait for life to get back to be more normal once this wretched lock down is over.
I am in east Suffolk.

1 Like

Iā€™m interested in a EE switch not whether people take my comments with a pinch of salt or not. I can go on Facebook for that. I am about to sell off my dated Ciscos and plunge for a new up to date switch so await here for others positive experiences.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in mid Norfolk if you fancy making a day of it!

The 8Switch is a Chord product, so I think it is worth being considered, but whether it is better than a cisco switch or it can improve the SQ is a question mark (to me), although someone here said so.

It is also priced very reasonably, unlike some so-called Audiophile switches out there.

2 Likes

Really?
Netgear Ethernet switch GS308ā€¦twenty quid from Amazon
Audiophile Ethernet switchā€¦ four hundred quid.

1 Like

It was indeed the reason of my original post. Thanks for agree with me. :rofl:

Perhaps I should have said ā€œrelativelyā€ priced reasonably? :slight_smile:

Yep, I did add ā€œone or two othersā€

Listening is the end-game.

Getting there can be a lot easier if you take into account the experience of people whose judgement you know, from past experience, You can rely upon.

Not guaranteed. But a lot better than a minefield.

3 Likes

Tired of London? Suggest have a listen to Streets of London by Ralph Mctell.

How can you judge something that you donā€™t know ? Itā€™s really all the problem here.

I donā€™t understand what you are trying to say.

My point is that I choose my equipment based on my listening.

I short-list what I am prepared to listen to. I base the short-list on information provided by people that I trust.

That normally includes my dealer, friends and people with relevant experience on this forum. BB55 named four of them.

Why not outline how you set about choosing your equipment ?

2 Likes

Letā€™s make it happen: itā€™s about time we became acquainted in person.

Itā€™s a pity Nigel @anon4489532 seems to live down south, otherwise Iā€™d be more than happy to accommodate him as well.

Iā€™ll start a thread in due course and Iā€™ll also be looking for two more volunteers to join in the day of fun.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the great thing about this forum. We all have great experiences to share with one another. Some good, some bad but in the end we all hopefully get there. A few members here are exceptionally helpful as you say. Itā€™s all very much appreciated.
Itā€™s funny really because these sort of threads seem to divide people and thatā€™s a real shame because we are all in it together and share a common interest.

Anyway iā€™m not here to rub anyone the wrong way. Perhaps our passions for this hobby can get in the way of each other sometimes. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s not anyones real intentions. These switches and cable threads can be quite challenging. No harm done. Thanks.

3 Likes

Yes, itā€™s much easier to post some crap from the internet rather than making an effort to say something meaningful. Hopefully members will assess peopleā€™s contributions and take a view on whose are worth taking seriously.

3 Likes

You have made so interesting contributions here. A lot of people should thank you.
I am impressed by all the active and positive posts you and Don have made here.
Without you this thread would be so poor.
Thanks again.

1 Like

See the post above mineā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion here Simon. I was thinking of using the EE on itā€™s own, but after some thought about your suggestion, i think i will now install one of my PD Ciscoā€˜s to my router together with my NAS. With my NAS & a EE on the Cisco and then have my streamer on itā€™s own connected to the EE. Itā€™s all speculation i know until i can actually trial an EE for myself. Iā€™m just thinking out loud nowā€¦

1 Like