English Electric 8Switch

I’ve never had one single issue with my network here in twelve years. Not a single one. The EE 8Switch has been a worthwhile upgrade for me here. I’m glad to get rid of those disco light flashing, bass humping Ciscos. I can turn he volume up far higher without the sound hardening in the higher frequencies like before. IMHO worth every penny.

3 Likes

Is there any benefit in fitting the EE8 in a WiFi system?

Currently
ISP MODEM >wire> MESH ROUTER>WiFi >MESH ACCESS POINTS>WiFi> DEVICES

Better?
ISP MODEM >wire> EE8>wire>MESH ROUTER>WiFi >MESH ACCESS POINTS>WiFi> DEVICES

Or would the EE8 be wired to router rather than modem?

Would it make sense to connect a NAS to the EE8 in the second configuration, for house wide NAS access via WiFi?

2 Likes

If someone is installing a ‘switch’ not in order to use it as a switch, but to obtain an increase in SQ, then the test is not complete until it has been removed and compared carefully to a baseline of no switch and a basic good switch (like a 2960).

Which is what I did. With a 2960. How’s your “switch” doing?

1 Like

I used to be a network architect in a previous life, so the home network has been pretty much trouble-free for several years.

This does require a bit of knowledge though, and one other benefit that I didn’t touch on as a benefit of the EE8 (and presumably the ER) is that you don’t need to know anything more than “where does the power plug go, and can I work out which is port 1 (for the streamer) and port 8 (for the uplink) on the back of the device”.

When I was demoing the EE8, I had a couple of days with a set of test tracks, switching back and forth between the EE8 and Ubiquiti switch. As I mentioned in a previous post (several hundred back), both switches had moments of “this sounds amazing”, but I can’t hand on heart say that one was demonstrably better than the other. Might I have had a different outcome if I was comparing with a crappy switch? Possibly, probably even. But I gave away all of my generic switches to friends and family a year back, and what I cared about is “is it better than what I’ve got now”?

2 Likes

Sensible practice - but not, as far as I can tell, what everyone who’s bought an audiophile switch has been doing.

I’m in non-switching switch heaven.

1 Like

I hope you are enjoying your loan period, with the English Electric network switch, whatever the final outcome of your deliberations.

I’ve done the same as Nick, with the same Cisco, and found the same result.

1 Like

You’re like peas in a pod, you guys!

Or we’ve actually heard one, so have a valid opinion, like it or not. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Indeed.
I have not heard an EE, so have not opined upon its effect on SQ (IIRC).

When I had the ER, I thought I could hear the differences straightaway, but now, on reflection, no differences, except it slows the network to a max 10 mbps, which impedes the firmware updates.

Yep.

That does not compute.
But, yes, it looks good on the rack and keeps the cables in line.
Nice.

I would just use a toast rack for that.

It does for me. I wrote why way back up the thread.

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/english-electric-8switch/8345/338?u=james_n

Did this happen yet?

It’s on my list of things to try when I get a chance Jim. Just enjoying a Mozart Piano Concerto via Qobuz.

1 Like

Just pondering whether anyone has compared the EE8’s own power supply with say an iFI PS?

I’m halfway through a long drive home, and have stopped for a coffee refuel at services, so thought I’d try the iFI for myself when I get in.

Maybe this has been answered but I don’t have will power to search through the thousands of posts in the relevant threads.

Thanks in advance.

Not that I’m aware of. It’d be interesting.

1 Like

Still sipping my second coffee. . . but will try this in a few hours or more likely in the morning depending on tiredness.

Thanks.