English Electric 8Switch

… to add, I had an iFi fail, no reason, running well within amp (watt) load. That was after a mate has the same with another iFi product, I lost confidence in them but got money back OK.
That’s why I went to Friwo medical, chunky, heavier, both case & cable etc., measures well (better) under full amp load.
I too was OCD over LED’s & dimmers, whatever I can’t actually hear anything detrimental on the audio, & given they have such a long life, I’m stuck with them.

I once had an iFi iPower on a Netgear. It very quickly conked out and I wouldn’t want another.

Whether the little power supply for the EE is ‘specially selected’ or just a basic one I really don’t care. The switch works really well and is fit and forget. I’m not going to fanny around with extra power supplies. Quite honestly I’d rather just enjoy the music, which sounds lovely.

2 Likes

I’m not sure who this Hunglyhalibut character is but some must think he or she has influence.

On that subject, a forum member once emailed me for advice and said in his email that I was a ‘Forum Influencer’. How strange. We all just write what we find (hopefully nobody makes stuff up) and people decide whose approach aligns with their own. I’m certainly not going to shout from the rooftops that everyone should get an EE. Other better things may be out there, such as the ER for example. The nice thing about the EE is being able to borrow it and see if it makes an improvement. To me it’s worth the £449 but others may feel differently.

1 Like

Actually I found your post a sensible and well measured one - I know for me I would need to hear something quite tangible to fork out 450 GBP for a switch that seems overpriced to me - especially not made or fully designed in wiltshire - but anyway it’s interesting to know it does make a difference.

Unfortunately the Chord Hugo (yes there we go again) and Chord Mscaler have changed forever my expectations of what tangible improvements are, and what I should pay for in upgrading my hi-fi…

I’d quite like to hear from naim @NeilS if they use or recommend the usage of such products with their Flagship ND555

Good luck with that!

3 Likes

well that’s the difference. Once easily ask Rob Watts from Chord electronics if usage of such network switches would make a difference with their streamer (like the new one 2go) and get a definite answer.

And he would say exactly why one would or would not hear a difference.

with my limited knowledge (very limited) it would seem to be 2 issues here

1. the power supply of the switch leaking noise back into the mains
  2. the level of galvanic isolation with the ethernet connections
  3. clocks and ethernet - who knows, as Chord electronics would say all data streams are reclocked internally in their DACs anyway.

But that doesn’t mean he is right. Things are not so black and white. It is simply a view. If you look at the Chord Electronics website they suggest the use of powerline ethernet. Or they used to anyway.

sure just asking asking Naim whether they would consider buying the English Electric switch themselves in their factory or their homes? Simple enough question

450 GBP is still a LOT of money and could get me halfway to getting a Muso QB2 for example.

When ever i have met Jason or Steve Sells they have always been polite and answered my questions, admittedly my questions may be as technical as some would ask. By contrast as soon as Rob Watts new i had a Naim streamer…he walked off.

1 Like

Rob watts knows I have Naim amplifiers for many years, always answered all of my questions politely and professionally.

1 Like

This thread has been very good natured and I for one would not have benefitted from the new switch without it. Of course £449 is a lot of money. So is £600 for a PowerLine or £300 for a metre of SL cable. Price and value are different. Let’s keep off the Chord Electronics approach and focus on the switch in the context of a Naim setup.

Or better still the switch in the context of any setup people are using, whether a Naim streamer or A.N.Other streamer or renderer+DAC, and whether the switch universally brings similar benefit to all, or different according to the specific electronics.

Surely the best way is to borrow a EE8 and hear for yourself, rather than rely on someone else telling you whether or not you will hear a difference in your system at home.

Neither Naim nor Rob Watts are psychic.

3 Likes

yes of course, but I cannot easily borrow one where I live as it’s not available

I could pay a deposit and have it shipped to me… but is it worth all the hassle…?

According to Hungry Halibut seems that indeed it is…

Anyway … I would like to try it sometime soon.

Good point, yes. I was simply trying to avoid another fawning episode at the Temple of Rob Watts. It’s accepted he is a godlike genius who makes everyone at Naim look incompetent, and that every word of his marketing puff is true fact, so it’s probably not needed again.

2 Likes

well just asking - is anyone at Naim using the English Electric 8Switch ?

yes or no?

Who cares!

The answer will tell you precisely nothing WRT an EE8 in your system.

1 Like

yes I understand what you’re saying after all say for example with the audio quest niagara Naim will never come out and comment on that product - so why would they on this one.

But hang on they have always said - plug your amps into the the wall and do not use power conditioners - so at least we know their stance on those.

BUT still : many Naim amp owners do report that indeed the niagara makes a positive difference.

So just asking what they think of network switches?

Anyway regardless - I will talk to a few dealers about lending me one of these - soon enough…

I think their view is you should plug directly into the router and avoid any switches. Keep it simple.

1 Like

thanks exactly what I was looking for to encourage me to try out as Naim say “higher quality network switch”

1 Like