English Electric 8Switch

Met Pete of acoustica at a friend’s house today and he was extolling the virtues of the English Electric switch - going to let me have a try when he gets the next batch in. I don’t have any kind of switch at the moment :grimacing: so it should help me out quite a bit! The price is also more palatable than that of the Melco switch

Without any available rack space nor piece of furniture on which to put the switch, would you consider placing it on the floor ? or on top of a naim box ? If so, would it affect the sound significantly ?

Is it really that simple? Please do not take this as a hostile question. If you Google “factory re-set a Cisco 2960” you will see that people use a console cable and computer to re-set the Cisco. There are even demonstrations on You Tube. Did you really mean the Mode button on the front? There is also a re-set button on the back. I assume the re-set button will actually do a re-set otherwise why have it? But why do so many people resort to computers and special cables for this task?

You are correct that if you want to completely clear any previous configuration that you or a previous owner has applied, you need to console into the switch and reset it to factory defaults.

So that’s why he wasn’t setting up mine then… humph!!

2 Likes

No it’s not. I guess @anon56221831 went a bit quickly on this.

If you’re goal is to “wipe” things down to factory defaults then you need to access the switch via a console as described on Cisco manuals or as described on many online tutorials.

This is the correct 1st-step procedure to reset the switch to an unmanaged switch, the 2nd step to hook it up to a laptop to via an ethernet cable to set up other things like IP address, password, telnet permission, and some other configs, etc.

But for 99% of you users out there, the 1st-step is good enough.

I guess that @Nemo never owns the switch?

I remember there may be some minor tricky thing if you do not remember or do not know the password, but that is another topic.

That’s a lot of boxes!

1 Like

Stuff in em too hopefully :sweat_smile:
There’s a ndx2 to turn up yet, I’m ducking mrs 0.0

2 Likes

BJC 6A cables have replaced AQ Vodka and Cinnamon here. Having recently Ebayed the AQ’s I’m Quids in and more importantly have obviously better sound (in my installation). I tried CatSnake 5e before that, but dull sounding in my system.

1 Like

I’ve done the reverse and changed from normal (run of the mill, nothing special) networking BJC 6a cables, back to high quality, proper audio streaming cables, such as a pair of AQ Cinnamons and Vodka Ethernet cables. Big upgrade in overall sound quality. Much more impressive in every way. They look better too, far more serious beasts in the application for high end streaming. Ethernet candy i like to call it and blends in well with my D.I.Y blue Welsh slate de-coupling support stand. Family members and friends now hear & look at the results and go - “WoW that is so boutique!” :star_struck:

5 Likes

Yeah, AQ Cinnamons are the reason I started looking for alternative ethernet cables. The BJC were a night/day improvement in my system compared to the AQ. I was very happy to move them on.

2 Likes

Not sure if this has been covered, but has anybody tried the MCRU linear power supply for the EE?

First post, so be gentle !

1 Like

Welcome Morrissey, and good question.

I know Frenchrooster has the MCRU (Option 3) on his EtherRegen to great effect but not sure if anyone on here had tried a MCRU power supply on an EE.

1 Like

Is your name actually Morrissey, or is it a reference to the one we once loved and now are ashamed of?

2 Likes

It’s my nom de plume. The interpretation I’ll leave for others to decide :wink:

Wink wink.
Do you get it?

morrissey

I am going to try the EE switch myself shortly - not done much research but I seem to remember that EE have put some effort into getting a decent power supply (at least according to my shaky memory of their website) whereas other switch manufacturers haven’t. Of course I could be talking nonsense!