English Electric 8Switch

FWIW I did experiment, hoping to get everything on the rack and in fact buying an extra Fraim layer for the purpose. It turned out the system sounded better with both the switch and fanless NAS (and subsequently Roon Nucleus) away from the rack. No doubt about it in my system.

1 Like

I tried one EE and to my surprise, everything sounded betterā€¦! Will this never endā€¦?

So I tried one more (one before Melco and one after)ā€¦not 100% better then the first but more like +25%. Since the cost is ā€œwithin reasonsā€ (when everything else is way beyond that) this extra one will stay alsoā€¦

Highly recommended to this earsā€¦!

//Jonas

Anyone know what the power consumption of the EE8 is?

From website

The medical-grade power adaptor has been designed to reduce electrical noise from AC power and prevent mains quality issues from affecting the network signals. It also boasts high power efficiency, a no-load power consumption < 0.075W and protection from short circuit, overload and over-voltage.

Thanks, yeh I saw that but thatā€™s for when itā€™s idle presumably?

5W max

1 Like

My unifi switch is using about the same over PoE and no psu. :slight_smile:

The reason I ask is that I havenā€™t been using my 2960 for a while but put it back in line today and have it housed in a new sideboard I got recently, I have a large vent hole at the top but I noticed when itā€™s enclosed that it runs noticeably warm and doesnā€™t seem the most efficient thing to have running 24/7, in fairness I did notice a big uplift when I reconnected it which surprised me so I might go down the EE route

Mine runs close to cold, though itā€™s only handling the streamer.

Thatā€™s all mine is doing at the moment too, when I had it positioned on a shelf for months I never noticed it been warm as it was out in the open but when you enclose it itā€™s obvious enough, mine is one of the later white POE versions if that makes any difference

Mine always ran pretty warm when I used them but all where slightly enclosed and I have a blue and a newer white one. Reminds me I need to move them on now I am using all Unifi switches.

I noticed the older blue 2960s run a bit warm. The late model 2960 PDs Iā€™m using have some warmth but not significant and I have two of them daisy chained (POE) to the streamer and NAS.

1 Like

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing this EE switch as reading good reviews.

Question pls: I already use a Cisco 2960 switch around 1m away from my NDX2 and a 1.5m Blue Jeans cable cat 6a I think connecting the 2 units. I also have an 8m blue jeans ethernet cable back to my incoming Virgin media router. Would I be best to still use the Cisco, but back near the router and install the EE switch near my hifi. Thoughts please. Thanks.

I would use the EE next to your hifi. As for the Cisco switch you could link it to your router then EE listen, and then remove Cisco and have the EE directly connected to router and see what you prefer.

2 Likes

I use a couple of 2960s - one as my main switch which links everything ese in the house, from which I hang the EE using a 1.5 metre cable (donā€™t ask what).

1 Like

Until recently Iā€™ve used two Cisco 2960 routers connecting router and NDX2, and all ā€˜computerā€™-related LAN devices attached to these 2960ā€™s behind their fiber SFP-port. Following the purchase of the EE8, Iā€™ve tested various combinations, but my final setup will be: audio-related stuff: router/modem to EE8 to NDX2, computer-related stuff: router/modem to Cisco 2960 to second Cisco 2960, via the fiber SFP-port. Maybe just give it a try.

1 Like

So do your web-streamed audio files go router - EE - NDX2 and not touch the Ciscos?

Yes, correct. No Cisco involved anymore.

1 Like

How have you found the EE8 over the Ciscos?

Although Iā€™ve always appreciated the sound with the Ciscoā€™s, using the EE8 switch, the spaciousness was larger and deeper, and the music flowed just a bit more relaxed, a bit more musical. The timbre also seemed a bit brighter. No major differences, but a clear increase in musical enjoyment; enough for me to definitively put the EE8 in the chain, instead of Cisco. Both Ciscoā€™s still do their job by further separating the audio and computer network via fiber.