English Electric 8Switch

Sexist marketing of hifi? Whatever would someone think of next… :grinning:

However a parallel one called ‘Womanhood’ might help sales to people who find an image of the female sex more appealing… presumably the only difference being the shapes of the boxes.

Thanks. I think could be useful in helping people identify a cut-off point where spending on this stuff would likely just be money down the drain.

Hi PatM
Currently using the ER. For four or five years I have been experimenting, noticing differences along.The earliest pioneer of all this was Paul Pang as far as I know. So I started with his earlier editions and followed him along with general improvements (not always) as he came up with developments. I tried the Cisco and linear power supply etc but feel that his top model superceeded it.

That’s weird. I too have a couple of 2960s and was wondering if the EE would benefit from a 2960 inserted before it. I will admit I had no technical knowledge to raise this question in my mind, but thanks to @Simon-in-Suffolk for his thoughts here.

A question Simon. I have a BT Hub6 router. If I were to arrange the following chain,
Hub6>2960>EE>ND555,
I would of course connect my Server and NAS (UnitiServe and QNAP) to the EE but for optimum SQ/noise control, should I connect my other peripheral devices (currently MacBook Pro and Sky Q box) to the Hub6 or to the 2960 in this arrangement?

If I do trial a EE I would of course play around with the connection arrangement but it is good to have a starting point.

I will add my router Server, NAS and switches are all in a ventilated cupboard about 4m away from the HiFi rack/speakers.

Can’t agree more, and those will give their opinion based on what they think or believe should be impact without any direct experience are not really helpful at all.

Best thing to do, is try one - either a EtherREGEN or the EE 8Switch or the Angel Boon N8 or Russ Andrews’s new Switch offering, then provide your impression based on actual results (which can be positive or negative but at least they are based on actual experience).

5 Likes

Seriously, do you think an audio company is going to design a switch and market it as ‘optimized for data centers?’ Of course if Naim designed a switch it would be 4-5X the price, and only sound it’s best on a certain level of their overpriced ugly glass shelving with one of their $1000 power cables (but no one else’s!) Talk about ‘twaddle…’

After a week or more of intensive playing I should be at the stage where I’m at, to borrow a current phrase, “the new normal” (ugh).

But just now I played an album I’ve been familiar with for 50 years: Manfred Mann Chapter Three (Manfred, Mike Hugg, Steve York plus a bevy of jazz wind players). I wasn’t listening for anything other than to enjoy the music on a Sunday (I think) afternoon, but was grabbed by the ears - never has the horn section bitten, swaggered and grooved with such texture.

It may be the gods were with the system//electricity supply/my ears, and who knows whether it was the IGMP Snoopy level or the marketing twaddle? Or it could have been the switch. Try it on these:

4 Likes

The EE package also includes a C-Stream cable, £40-ish?

If only @Simon-in-Suffolk or @anon4489532 or @kuma or @anon82117578 say these are good, then they are good. I know they are very fair and they know what they hear, judged from their highly respected and valuable posts over the years.

7 Likes

thanks for the feedback on what level these audiophile switches need to be used with, what source and speakers do you have on the 250 and on the statement?

True, but as we learned from the mania thread some people’s experiences don’t equate to a universal truth and those referenced anecdotal experiences are clouded with inconsistencies of user’s systems and perceived influences on SQ.

3 Likes

If they advise you to jump from the window, you will do?
Only a french expression to say it’s always better to think and test by ourselves, not believe blindly in others.
And specially when they have even not listened to it.

3 Likes

Very well said, not sure if anyone here remembers the mania thread about the Lavry DA10? The myth (hype) finally broken by @kuma.

To be fair, the Lavry is an OK DAC, but not as good as the Naim-level CD players or the HDX, but the mania claimed that it was even better than the CDS3, etc.

Yes, that was me. I agree. I guess that if one is unsettled then obviously something isn’t quite right. If one is just listening to the music without an urge to tweak then i think one has cracked it. There are so many variables to conquer.

You still have to experience this for yourself i think otherwise you will never really know what is really going on.

1 Like

Yes, the name is more English.
And more electrical.

And a bit less silent.
And less Angelic.

3 Likes

Blimey - that’s a lot of systems.

I’d suggest putting the ‘other kit’ on one of the 2960’s away from the router to try to coax that IP traffic away from your DAC.

Have you any experience with the EE switch as of yet
Jim? If so what are your thoughts? I’m thinking of trying one myself, just waiting for James’s verdict in the meantime.

@Simon-in-Suffolk I am moving to Suffolk in a few months time and I would like to invite you over to my new house. I am prepared to buy an audiophile switch and I shall leave it in your capable hands to ensure that it is setup properly. Would you have the inclination to come over to reminsce on the past and enjoy a day of fun?

Thanks @frenchrooster, I got it, I am not offended by it. :slight_smile:

1 Like