English Electric 8Switch

Well FWIW you have my full agreement there :slight_smile:
And neat socket installation/labeling!

1 Like

I just ordered an Uptune JS-2 to power my EE and ROON Nucleus. I considered Paul Hynes but Uptune is in California vs an island in Scotland, they can give me a delivery date and the JS-2 has a sterling reputation as well.

I have no problem with the PS that came with my EE but it will perform better with the JS-2 so Iā€™ll use it. I think Chordā€™s position is fair. Iā€™ve been a customer of them for years and currently use their Musics in my Naim system. One the reasons I chose the 8Switch over the EtherRegen is because itā€™s backed by Chord and available through my Naim dealer.

1 Like

Have you heard it already? Because you said it will perform better, just wondering

I havenā€™t got the JS-2 yet but I spent hours researching it. If it doesnā€™t, I can return it.
Are you familiar with the JS-2?

Has anyone tried a 555PS on the EE8?

5 Likes

I am not familiar, but itā€™s intriguing. I am just getting done with my system after a whole year of tinkering, and now that everything else in place, finally, I am starting to scratch the surface of the PS topic.
Do I see this right that the JS-2 can power both the Nucleus and the EE at the same time? That would be quite convenient in my setup and puts the price in perspective.
Given the now-infamous quote from the EE website about LPS missing the necessary speed, how does one know if a particular PS fulfills this criteria?

:joy:

2 Likes

I researched the JS-2 and people are using it with both the EE and the Nucs like the Roon Nucleus.
The JS-2 can power two devices simultaneously. Output voltage is switchable for each (5, 7 and 12 volts). You use 5V for the EE and 12V for the Nucleus. It will accept from 12 to 19 volts.
Generally LPS devices put our from 1 to 2 amps. The JS-2 can supply 5 amps simultaneously. Itā€™s about 9"x9 ā€œx3ā€. Supposed to be very well made.
Uptone make them in batches, about 13 or so every three weeks. I got the last of the current batch.
Their EtherRegen is selling so fast they canā€™t keep up.
Mine is supposed to ship on the 16th. Iā€™m in Arizona so I should have it in a couple of days after that.
Unfortunately, my ND555 is in Montreal for repair but I can try the JS-2 with a Mu-So attached to my network.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, very interesting

It comes with a power cord that will work with your Nucleus and you can get one with it for $75 that works with the EE. Just tell Alex what you need. I got an invoice that worked with PayPal.

1 Like

I look forward to your report! Ironically I sold my UltraCap LPS-1.2 to fund my ND5XS2. Kind of wish I kept it just to test a LPS with my EE. Uptone Audio is really 1st class. They treated me well.

1 Like

I recommend too the JS2. Very well made and effective. I had it in the past to power a netgear switch and the Unitserve.
It uplifted clearly the Unitserve. The switch too .
I didnā€™t knew that I could need it one day, so sold it.
I feel not many want it here because itā€™s silver. It didnā€™t bothered me at all. Itā€™s a very nice piece of kit.

2 Likes

Now now! :joy::joy:

1 Like

So, after all the discussions, opinions and experiences-
Can anyone determine what is the cable recommended,between the router and the switch and between the switch and the electronics? (NAS / Streamer)?
Does anyone know if CHORD has any recommendations on the subject?

Itā€™s impossible to respond, because nobody has the same. Perhaps most use Blue Jeans cat 6a, then Catsnake, some Chord c stream, and Vodka.
You can check in each EE owner profile too.

2 Likes

My EE8 is too new to compare cables Iā€™m afraid as I just received a longer run of BJC6a.

One thing I tried based on what @Patu did (but again too early to confirm) was running that tiny Chord C-Stream default cable from the router to the switch. I saw in another thread about them being somewhat directional(Iā€™ll suspend my disbelief) so I switched ends of the cable so that the small black dot was connected to my router. It actually sounded better to me (my system, room, ears, beer). It was passable but barely in the opposite direction. Iā€™ll keep this for another day or two then back to the ā€˜full loomā€™ BJ Cat 6a.

2 Likes

Letā€™s not start again with how reliable Chordā€™s recommendations are :rofl:
They include the C-Stream cable, so suppose they donā€™t think this would be wrong.
On the other hand they sell a whole range of ethernet cables up to the lofty Chord Music, so I have to believe they see benefit in them. That or deep customer pockets.

Like so many others I have Blue Jeans Cat6a from router to switch, Roon ROCK to switch, and switch to NDX2. They are good quality, not too expensive, and it sounds fabulous to me. However, as you may already know, I havenā€™t done any A/B for cables nor switch because the whole system is new and Iā€™m taking my time.

I think what we have learned from the cable and switch threads is that every system, network, ears, and performance-enhancing substances are different

3 Likes

With all this talk of Linear Power Supplies, donā€™t forget that the DC cable inbetween the supply and device can make a difference. The shorter the better, and good copper, solid or stranded, or silver with good connectors can change the sound, maybe even as much as the supply itself. For my Sonore supply to the opticalRendu Iā€™m using a Ghent 16awg Neotech solid, about 9 inches or so. Just something to think about, and quite possibly where the SMPS go wrong, even if they are decently built themselves.

1 Like

Yes!!! The next can of worms! :smiley:

1 Like

You forgot the scotch :wink:

1 Like