Eric Clapton

Yes!

Must admit I hear stuff like Cocaine or a Crossroads and I find myself somewhere between snoring or needing to cleanse myself with a bit of Robert Johnson. His versions of Johnson are exactly why I use tasteful as a pejorative term in this context. However, people have made suggestions so it’s only fair to go listen to one’s I’ve not heard to see if my mind can be changed. There are plenty of other “major” artists we all come to relatively late.

For me it’s only « 461 ocean boulevard « . So not a great EC fan . More JJ Cale, if we can compare.

1 Like

I felt he always needed others around at the same level to motivate him. Glyn Johns said during the recording of Slowhand he needed a kick up the b*m to produce good work. This has happened at times since the 70s but usually live - so much of the studio stuff has been dull MOR AOR.

In Cream he produced two amazing bits of art-rock - Badge and Tennis - and hasn’t done much like that since.

Twas ever thus though. I saw Derek and the Dominos live in 1970 (yup) with friends in Bristol, the day after Hendrix died, and I think they were all expecting Cream mk 2. It was very good (see the live album) but probably needed Duane. Jim Gordon played the best drum solo I’ve ever seen. A few years later he went mad.

1 Like

Don’t forget the short lived Blind Faith. Whatever one may think of the man, his legacy will live on!

4 Likes

Tony, so succinct in two sentences :+1:

Two very good points Chris, when motivated by somebody of equal standing he can produce excellent work. Plus I feel he is an artist that can be best enjoyed in a live setting, it can make up for some of the AOR stuff.

Imo Eric has been one of the biggest contributors to rock music for over 50 years.
My schooldays listening to the Yardbirds, then being introduced to Mayall. The journey through Cream, Blind Faith, Delaney and Bonnie, Derek & the Dominos.
Not to mention his contributions to the music of many others.

5 Likes

I did love Slowhand and it introduced me to JJ Cale and I became a huge JJ Cale fan. I regret not getting to see him play live.

4 Likes

Nice list. Just add Peaches and Diesel and you’ve got a great album right there :blush:
Not so keen on his unplugged work but this is a cool version of Black Magic Woman

I was lucky enough to be around at the time to misspend my yoof in the brit blues era. I saw him on a regular basis along with all the other great bands & players of that time, last time I saw him play live was the last Cream gig & RAH.

How I wish I’d got to that!

Lucky b****r! Very jealous. I was too young and in the wrong country but I did get to see him at an amazing gig in Dublin in 1979 with an audience of 2000 when he excelled.
To see EC in his prime in the Brit Blues era before his decline into drug abuse and alcoholism must have been a-mazing. I have been a fan since Derek is Eric but I have to take my hat off to HH for coming out with regard to Morrissey because, in spite of my adulation for E.C. I realized somewhere along the line that if I had met him personally we would never have liked each other on the basis of his views.
Nonetheless his ability to cut to the core through his incredible gift as a guitarist and singer moves me.

Not odd at all when you consider he nearly died from taking it. (No politics here.)

1 Like

Never meet your heroes.

Well I nearly died crossing the road, my fault, but I’m not extolling the banning of cars.

1 Like

I didn’t knew. It can effectively explain more.
And as you said, back to this musical only topic.

I like this one.

Live in San Diego (with JJ Cale). :guitar:

3 Likes

An afternoon of listening as suggested. The 60s stuff bears repeat plays. The solo stuff? Standing my ground on that. Dear god no. Bland, tasteful, drugged up averageness.

1 Like

Thanks Mike. I’ve preordered this on Vinyl, a little nervously since a lot of his recent output I’d happily bypass, but having seen him live 3 times in the last 20 years, it was always the acoustic sets that stood out and I know he’s still excellent in those sets, so I thought this mostly acoustic set worth a punt. I’m encouraged that you like it and looking forward to receiving it in the new year.