Error cant connect to spotify server

I agree but am sure it’s a simple fix - just wish I knew what it was. I was on the verge of seeing if Naim can fix it but if all other items work …. And internet connection works and associated linked items work (tidal, radio, dab, etc) … I think it’s a coding thing with Spotify but just wish there was even something on the main equipment that would allow me to fix it. I love this little unitiqute … haven’t tried in the 272 in my other place yet…. Am hoping !

1 Like

Ours did it for free !

1 Like

I was going to do it myself but didnt have the right cable which, as per the naim instructions seems to be important ( needs to be fully wired data transfer vs just charging)
Details on naim website

1 Like

It does have to be fully wired because the data is transferred over the data wires that aren’t connected in a charging only cable. You can easily buy one for little money on eBay or Amazon though.

1 Like

Reporting that I am experiencing the same problem as Cheshire. My 'Unitiqute2 will not connect to Spotify after many years of flawless performance. I can still connect with a Sonos portable speaker I use so I believe the problem is between Spotify and Naim. I have tried just about everything I can think of. I will try and run the software update next.

1 Like

Just got the same error on my Unitilite. As I’ve just tested positive for Covid I’m going to be stuck at home for the next week or so and it’s a bit gutting that I won’t be able to use my best music system.

1 Like

Naim must know that Spotify is no longer working with some of their products.

Hopefully they have contacted Spotify, by now, and asked them to tweak their settings to resolve this.

Anyone heard anything from Naim or Steve Harris yet?

So I spent half the afternoon digging around for network cables and an older style USB cable and I updated my Unitilite to software version 4.8. Good news is that has fixed the problem and I’ve got Spotify playing again. Still no idea what caused it to stop working, but I’ll just sit back and enjoy the music for now.

1 Like

Good to hear you have sorted yours Valkerie.

Have you noticed any change in the sound at all?

Its not something that I feel I can do unfortunately. I’m hoping that Naim can sort out the problem with Spotify.

Naim released an update for the firmware. You should install it and see if your problem disappears.

Streaming Spotify to a device is a very very basic feature. It should just work.

If only it were that simple. Count yourself lucky that Naim keeps the old kit ticking over by supplying updates. It is not a very very basic feature.

All computer equipment benefits from having a latest update applied before further investigating a problem. There is no good reason not to update. If you’re not confident, approach your dealer, they’d probably be more than happy to help.

Hi @Chris99

I’ve just tried it here on a 272 + Spotify with latest production code - plays ok.

I would suggest:

• check your Spotify account status - make sure its still on premium. Only our newer kit handles the freemium and in-between subscription levels.
  • If on older firmware update it. V4.8. Spotify do deprecate old code vers, so if the 272 is on super old code then this might be the reason.
  • Factory reset the 272 - shouldn’t be really needed, but on those old Spotify code libs they can sometimes get annoyed if the token expires.

Overall, on latest code it can work - this is just a localised issue.

Here’s a pic of mine just to show that it really can work! :

With regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

1 Like

Thank you Steve H (and Znai) for your replies.

Always happy to be educated. I’m on Spotify Premium but have never updated the 272, due to the fear of messing it up!

I will approach my local dealer for help.

I do appreciate that Naim still help customers with older equipment, it means I can justify to the other half why I’ve spent nearly £15k on it!

2 Likes

Hi - I have a superuniti and in the last few weeks have started getting this Error message too. Does Superuniti also need a firmware upgrade if so please could you post instructions?
Thanks

i have the same problem and could do with knowing what the cable is that i need
is it an ethernet cable or the rs232?

You must read the instructions carefully for the update. It’s on this page of Naim’s website - scroll down and you will see firmware 4.8 for many older products, including 272 and SuperUniti.

You will need both the RS232 or USB lead and the Ethernet connection because the update is delivered part via the update socket and part via Ethernet.

If it’s all too daunting to tackle yourself then a Naim dealer should do it either for free or for little money depending on your relationship with them.

1 Like

There is an update for Superuniti but it says nothing about the update being relevant for Spotify. It’s for Tidal which I don’t use. Any ideas? I’m not sure I’m up for trying a complicated looking update if I’m not sure it’s going to be relevant for Spotify.
Thanks

If you look a few posts back in this thread, you will see that Naim’s software director Steve Harris says about the 272 that you should update to the latest firmware 4.8 as Spotify “do deprecate old code versions”. The SuperUniti and the 272 run very similar code so I suggest doing what he says you should do.

Thanks David, I’m doing the firmware upgrade as I type. Been on the phone to Naim Technical as have USB mini cable, have driver downloaded, have Naim 4.8 downloaded but Apple prevented the latter from being installed for security reasons. They advised ‘Control’ click on the app and open that way not by using Launchpad. Then it opens and hey presto update to 4.8 underway. Let’s hope it solves Spotify issue!

Very good. Hope it works for you.

Don’t rush it. Let the SuperUniti fully restart after the update completes as the PC/Mac gets there before the streamer usually!

Hi there, I’ve just started experiencing this issue as well with UQ2, it’s been approximately the last month or so.

I’m having trouble with the port setting on my PC, I’m using the USB plug on the rear of the UQ but it’s showing as a portThe device manger on the PC will indicate that there is a connection but it’s not a port and it also doesn’t relate to any the port connections in the drop down menu in the firmware update:

I’ve tried a couple of leads but still the same result.

The werid thing is that I updated the firmware years ago and from memory it was a breeze, not sure what I’m doing different.

Love to here from anyone that might be able to help!

Regards
James in NZ