Ethernet Cable and USB type

My dealer argues that a star earthed mains block or Hydra off a single socket is better that one or more double sockets, due to the cheap metal links used in most mains sockets.

1 Like

JIm, an ADSL cable is an ADSL cable, standard ones are a flat pair, others are made with a twisted pair & might have slightly better performance than the flat ones. None will do anything that wonderful or different & for sure none will improve your systems SQ.

2 Likes

I’ve got one of his cables… recommended

Could be Chris. I’d just try the double sockets first as this should be better than two bits of kit plugged into different sockets on the ring. Rather than a 1-2 hydra i’d just wire both leads into one mains plug (same thing) which funnily enough is what i’m doing at the moment…

1 Like

So my SR Atmosphere X Reference Ethernet arrived and in place, I did the usual long listening session with the current setup, 10 reference tracks I use as a baseline.

In the past with ethernet cable swaps it is easy enough to just swap and a relatively quick A B A, but the SR Ethernet comes with a separate grounding cable plug and advice is power down the whole system and ensure it is plugged directly into a wall socket.

I assumed this was my cables end game, so also removed my fibre network bridge.

So short version of the review, i don’t like it, I know SR products stress a circa 200hr plus run in, but I found with their other products an immediate big improvement followed by a slow Break In that just gets better.

However this is very harsh, everything seems jumbled, soundstage on very familiar tracks is very different in terms of placement, very odd. I had issues with Bubble finding the streamer and dropping out, after some investigation the SR connections I assume are loose or not sitting right, as a light touch and back on.

I tend to make my mind up quick, but did my usual A B A, but this time versus my Chord Indigo ethernet, in the end game anticipation I got rid of the Sarum Ethernet, but importantly without the fibre bridge.

Wow for me the Indigo is easily equal to the Sarum (note I don’t mean the new Sarum T, that’s £2k).

I’ve always loved the Naim and Chord synergy, recall when I had a Micromega stage 3 CD and Naim amplification, I used basic Chord din to Phono, then settled on the Chord Solid.

The Chord Indigo just flows so beautifully, just seems so right, sound detailed and controlled.

For now I will leave the fibre bridge, but may return to it.

I’d love to get the Chord Music but that’s a bonkers cost, the Sarum or Sarum T offered little gain over the Indigo.

Summary Chord Indigo Ethernet WINS and stays put, SR Ethernet being readied to ship back as on a money back guarantee, so all in all I will lose about £50 in postage not £1250.

2 Likes

thanks for this feedback. 50 L to return seems expensive for a cable…
Curious synergetic cable, perhaps not working good with the nova…

Shipoing to California.

i understand now

Hi Xanthe
I seem to recall that you mentioned on the previous Forum that you’d made a platform for your speakers out of three layers of different materials.
Is that correct?
I will go and look it up, but wondered whether that’s something I might try to copy?
I have Arivas on short spikes on large thick slate roof tiles.
They sound ok as a stopgap and are easy to slide around hunting for the place where they magically snap into focus.
I hestitate to spike them into the concrete floor, only because the underlay and carpet are 29mm (!) so I’d have to use spikes out to around 30 or 31mm - which seems too long for best sound/stability.
thanks
Jim

I just searched for your previous post on the old Forum but couldn’t find it with 7 searches.

Thanks Chris. That makes sense to me, and fits with the almost universal positive experinence people seem to get from Hydras.
There may be other benefits of Hydras as well…

James: Yes, I’m trying the 2 sockets route first. What you’re wiring up is what I above described as a V (at the plug) configuration.

Yes, I’m just looking at each link in the chain in my new system and seeing of there’s anything I can do to improve things, and perhaps stave off future issues too.
The idea here is not that I’d actually hear a difference now, but that the increasing pressure of traffic in my house as my kids group up may strain that bottleneck [?], so a Cat 6 cable may work better there.

Please please - it’s an ADSL cable, its a broadband filtered telephone connection,
there is no bottleneck to block.
But OK go get a Cat-6 cable, it will do diddly squat for your domestic stuff, but if it scratches your itch …

Sorry, my misunderstanding - never studied home broadband and phone cable and socket types before.
I’ll revert the previous search you recommended.

1 Like

Effectively yes.

Which cable?
What do you use it for?
Why do you recommend it?
thanks
Jim

the problem with no quote responses…

I’d say for the £60 or so delivered from the company you provided the link for (cheers - all well with my 2960) it’s a nice icing on the cake upgrade. Worth thinking about Jim.

1 Like

@JimDog - Now im back and happy with the Chord Indigo Ethernet, spent the whole day until now listening, well also waiting for Kwik Fit Mobile to change my car tyre (still no sign).

I listened to allot of Tidal HiFI and decided to sign back up with Qobuz Studio (all via BubbleUPnP), the 24 bit media is good if you can find enough in your genre.

Hi JimDog,
I’m working this evening, so I’ll give you a proper reply tomorrow.
Cheers
E X.