Ethernet Cable and USB type

James, I think you have summed up the situation re the value (and variability of SQ outcome) of ethernet cables rather nicely.

The other variable you have (sensibly?) omitted is the degree to which we are all affected by expectation bias, placebo and the good old ‘expenditure justification syndrome’, all of which I freely admit to being open to. Still love my AudioQuest Cinnamon and Vodka though (that is the cable, not the drink).

you are a skillful diplomat Nigel !

I like the Melco in my system. The room is quite heavily damped with carpet, thick wallpaper and curtains…so perhaps I needed a brighter sound. Just goes to show you need to try for yourself in your own system.I am popping into our dealer tomorrow for a chat and borrow some SL interconnects.

Gazza, you are succumbing to the allure of SuperLumina. The interconnect is the right place to start IMHO.

Just a matter of time my friend!

I am hoping to find a way of posting without you finding out, just so you can,t say you told me so…help anyone😬

You can’t avoid me, I am omnipresent! :wink:

Obviously very keen to hear what you think of the SL IC.

I promise I won’t gloat.

Hope to try the True Signal audio ultimate as well. Should be fun. Popping in to Signals on to our way to a short break for the wife,s birthday of a few days ago. Last time i got an ND555 for good behaviour.

1 Like

One way to avoid issues of which cable is best is to have no cable after queuing some albums. I’d swear my Innuos sounds sweeter and fuller without the cable.

Phil

1 Like

it doesn’t prove that the cable had no effect, because the music was loaded before with the add of the cable.

Of course cables have an effect. It you want to know what your system sounds like then remove it and listen. You can then if you want try and find a cable that comes closest to no cable if you don’t want to move.

house = bottle
people in house are online gaming, watching tv, skyping, downloading and listening to Tidal

all of that ‘wine’ simultaneously goes thru only one wire - the freebie grey RJ11 to RJ11 cable from router to wall socket
so structurally that wire is the neck of that bottle
it may not get stuck in the bottleneck because the cheap cable may be able to shift much more data than that
but I’ll never be sure whether the precious Tidal files (“my Precious”) are getting messed up in some way as they flow through that bottleneck with all those other vintages of electronic wine

So as you say if a few squid can make that imaginary problem vanish…

Yes a few squids of sensible ADSL cable seems like it will make your imaginary problem go away.
Just keep in mind your phone line from your local cabinet is the main “bottle” neck to your property. The distance from your local cabinet does have an effect on the line “speed” you get (its actually a combination of bandwidth (capacity) & latency)
Whatever that distance is, it is a standard BT (twisted pair) copper cable. Once it arrives at the BT wall socket (the broadband/phone splitter) your additional few metres will do very little in real world line performance.
This is what the other end of your phone line looks like

what i wanted to say is when you remove the ethernet cable, you have still the effect produced by this cable, the buffering can’t work without a cable before.

With my Innuos it does as plays into my nDAC. Another benefit!

Phil

Better TCP packets? :wink:

i don’t what are TCP packets, Guinless. Can you explain

TCP packets are the pieces of data transmitted along the network cable.

ok, so these tcp packets , their quality, is an effect of the cable which carried them ( not also the cable of course).

Not in the slightest, no. The content would be identical.

Their is no question regarding TCP quality, their is no quality as such, its a data stream. TCP includes an error check, it sends & verifies what it sends is error free & if it has an error it re-transmits.