Ethernet Cable and USB type

I just bought a Ugreen cable for a fiver inc delivery and plugged it in – so I have that as a base case.

And Tidal sounds excellent at the moment.

I’ve ordered one and will see if it redeems my CAT7 lead, presently sitting in reject pile.
I got a LH version for the back of the ND555 end on order for £5 so cheap to try.

DB.

It’ll be interesting to hear what effect this has, if any. No doubt it’s easier to assess such things on your very revealing system.
As Mike mentioned above, some used it at the other end of the cable, or on the NAS, and reported some audible effects there too.

:small_blue_diamond:It is never good to use “adapters”,…no matter where in the signal chain.
These I regard as toys,and would never put into a music-system.

/Peder🙂

Oh come on Peder - its just a simple adapter which can break an unwanted ground connection which makes perfect engineering sense. If it was in a fancy case, marketed with some pseudo science and at x10 the cost would it then be acceptable to use it in a music-system ?

1 Like

a bit dogmatic peder i feel. Someone, Obsydian i think remember, had found no sound degrading. It can allow better connectivity probably.
But i have not tried and for me i see no reason to try in my system.

Peder, you need to get a bit more realistic. They are simply connectors, your equipment has hundreds of connectors of one sort or another. In this case it’s an RJ45 to RJ45. Your ethernet cables & their ports are RJ45’s, are these “bad” as well

1 Like

Hello my friend - yes i tried the Lindy, but it was primarily to allow me to back the stand closer to the wall, as the Chord Ethernet is very bulky and a BIG bend radii

That said i thought there was some sonic benefit, left it in place for many weeks, then removed it (always the decider) and it had no discernible impact.

For info i still use the network fiber bridge, but once my SR Ethernet arrives it will be removed.

1 Like

Oh if anyone does order, double check if you need an UP or DOWN, i guessed wrong as the ethernet on my Nova is upside down.

Yes, perhaps I should have mentioned the UP and DOWN options! Some brands (not Lindy, as far as I know) also make L and R versions which might be better for some.

This is what I ordered to try a L version for the back of the ND555, which will shove the socket to the R when viewed from front of case.

Since the other end of the Ethernet (Melco) has the socket upside-down with respect to Naim the same adapter can be tried both ends to find which (if any) works better in making the screen connection.

Since it is very cheap to try (should arrive tomorrow) I will at least know if it does anything at all.

DB.

very impatient to here your feedback on this new ethernet cable and if you will remove or not the network bridge.
For me, i will report very soon on the cat5e super cheap cable i ordered…
à bientôt

Indeed, if all else fails, I find them quite useful for their _intended _purpose at times.

Me too - still stuck in UK Customs somewhere :persevere:

I suppose if I buy a good cable and it lasts for many years, having higher bandwidth may be important in future, if not immediately.

Why not the (adapted) Belden Cat 6 or 6a from Blue Jeans?

Because cat5e is all you need unless your planning a run of over a 100m, and you should avoid shielded cables unless you have proper grounding and are designed for very noisy industrial environments not your home.

1 Like

But are Blue Jeans Cat 6 and 6a ethernet cables all shielded?
I’ve seen people saying they have Blue Jeans Cat6 unshielded cables?
Is that possible?
I can’t see from their .co.uk or .com sites whether the Cat 6 and 6a cables are shielded or not.
(Apologies if someone already said this above).

Blue Jeans website doesn’t say STP. The pictures shown don’t have metal covered RJ45s. So no ground loops :slight_smile:

1 Like

Belden sell both shielded and unshielded depends on the catalogue number you buy. But still you dont need cat6 brings nothing to the table other than long runs if needed.