Ethernet Cable and USB type

just received this cat 5e cable, the most basic i have ever had. I will try now, on 2 different positions ( from router to switch / in place of audioquest vodka) and from switch to the nds( in place of the audioquest diamond). Will honestly report very soon.

Cat 5e vs vodka, between router and cisco 2960 switch :

I listened to 4 different tracks. First track with cat 5e, then vodka, then cat 5e, then vodka. 2 minutes per track. The same for the 3 other tracks.

The cat 5e is natural. There is no harsh, brightness… Vs the vodka on that section, the bass is less defined and lively, the drums are less dynamic. All is more laid back and alive. Perhaps not night and day, but the difference is very clearly listenable. No placebo effect, all is a bit like shut down with the cat 5 e.

Next section very soon…

1 Like

if there’s one born every minute, since 1960…?
how many then, globally?

Hello, I do not know if it’s a case but I replaced a 5e vs from the router modem to the first power line and last night doing a download with sky vision I noticed a slow download. I had put in place a qed performance ethernet cat 6 because it is said that it is specific for music streaming … but this sector is very vast and personal

Hello, I do not know if it’s a case but I replaced a 5e vs from the router modem to the first power line and last night doing a download with sky vision I noticed a slow download. I had put in place a qed performance ethernet cat 6 because it is said that it is specific for music streaming … but this sector is very vast and personal

Ethernet audio cable
Blue Jeans Cable <sales@bluejeanscable.com>
Fri 15/02/2019 15:25
Jim,
Well realistically if you were only doing audio streaming 5e would be more than enough, but I usually recommend CAT6 as gigabit internet is becoming more common and video streaming resolutions are increasing. 6A is really only necessary in a data center or something like that.

– Jeff

Blue Jeans Cable

sales@bluejeanscable.com

Fri 15/02/2019 00:09

Thanks Jeff

To clarify, yes, the cable will pass Hi Res files which originate from the internet servers of Tidal or other streaming services from the router/modem in my house to my HiFi.

So, to clarify - you are saying that Cat 6a is too high spec for this task, and cat 5 is too low spec for this task - and Cat6 is best?

Jim

That is empirical evidence that a good one sounds better to the folks who made the machines and want them to sound as good as possible…

interesting
so cat 5e is not bad
but Vodka is better (without tonic!)

Or that a suitable length of Shawline was to hand. It’s possible to over think these things.

I often do…
But frankly if I was doing a sound demo of new hi end streamers to potential customers I’d make certain I had the best sounding cables in my bag.

Good point - although i remember at the Naim factory last year, they were demoing the streamers with pretty bog standard Ethernet cables. Perhaps they know something we mere mortals don’t…

Hi Mike
sorry to dog you on this issue, but if you had to start again from scratch, and streaming was your only way of listening to music, would you buy a Meicord again as your main router/switch to streamer cable?
Jim

1 Like

Second section, cat 5e vs audioquest diamond, between the cisco switch and the nds:

the differences are a bit the same, but more pronounced : the colors and extinctions of the notes are more vivid and real with the diamond, specially for the piano sounding. The sound is fuller, more colorful, with better bass and vibrancy of instruments with the diamond.
There is no doubt and no possibility to keep the cat 5 e.

But vs the audioquest forrest , hana ( german one), cat 7 cables, 4 times more expensive, the cat 5e ( pc like i bought) is more natural and better sounding. Vs the meicord, from memory, i would say the meicord is a bit better, but not a lot . ( the meicord costs 70 euros / 1 m, the cat 5 e was 3,86 euros / 1 m).

The audioquest vodka : around 250 euros / 0,75 m. the audioquest diamond : around 800 euros / 0,75 m.

Conclusion : for an nds/ 555 dr/ unitserve / uptone js2 streamer / nas/ ripper/ linear ps, costing around 20 k in total, i think that my 3 ethernet audioquest cables , costing 1,5 k , are worthwhile.

The same degree of uplift in sound quality, for me at least, than vs standard power cord and powerline.

2 Likes

[quote=“JimDog, post:155, topic:736”]

Hi Jim, I like the dog bit, apt. But enough of dogging … whoops what am I saying.

Would I buy MeiCord again? YES
NB: my MeiCords are NAS-Switch & Switch-Streamer
The Router-Switch is a more flexible Cat-6 as its visible & it tucks away better, plus a colour to match the furniture (WAF)

1 Like

What do you have router to wall socket?
Is it that thin grey telecoms cable 26AWG with RJ11 plugs?
(In case you don’t have anything more interesting to think about on a Friday evening…)
I guess this just has to get the files to the router at a fast enough speed and qualiity.

Thanks for the test info.
Humm - I think as streaming is very soon going to be my only form of music, I have 2 boxes worth about £4.5k at cost, so spending £80 on a main ethernet cable may be a good long term bet, as I’ll probably use it for many years. (Unless it makes no SQ difference at all, in which case it’s stupid waste of cash!) Ditto other relevant cables upgrades.
[BTW, Rooster, if you happen to have any spare 4m ethernet cables clogging up your cupboard…!]

I would be interested to hear you try Blue Jeans cables cat 5e/6 and compare those.

1 Like

I have a so called High Speed ADSL twisted pair from wall socket to UPS (surge protector) & the same from UPS to router (BT HH6)
Anticipated next question - No it doesn’t make any difference in sound or broadband line speed (capacity) I bought them because I needed two & a different length, so for the sake of a cupla squids, why not.

Moi aussi!

my longest is the 1,5 m forrest. Was a waste of money…
If i was you, i will run a long cable like 4 m from router to switch, a common cat 5e, and 1 m meicord from switch to the streamer and same from nas to switch.
If your nas is noisy, a longer cable, also cat 5e.