Ethernet Cables, Switches, WiFi and all that

Just kick back and listen to your music everyone, it’s Sunday.

In digital or analog form?

Whatever floats your boat

Or better still play music on an instrument (if you can).

2 Likes

Tried the banjo once Simon as it’s probably my favourite instrument. Failed miserably

1 Like

Why get on a thread on a hifi forum called “ethernet-cables-switches-wifi-and-all-that” to give that advice?

That’s like going on a drumming forum on a thread called “Drum skin tightening” and telling the participants to chill out and just play the drums.

2 Likes

The thread was threatened with closure, it was tongue in cheek.

But I will ask if we can keep the thread roughly on topic…. I’m still finding it interesting. Cheers.

1 Like

I also find it interesting.

1 Like

I jumped on the bandwagon too and tried fancy OCXO switches and ethernet cables, fiber converters, linear power supplies and ultimately found that they made little to no difference in the sound. Lost a boatload of money in the process. All I use now is a 2960 switch. IMO, just keep your network simple and put your money into better components.

5 Likes

Makes sense, I would keep the network simple, and the electricty (connections, plugs, sockets, circuitry isolations, etc) in the house is in good shape.

1 Like

When I begun streaming with a cheap Netgear switch, as recommended by Naim, I felt something was missing. Until I went for Cisco 2960 and Audioquest diamond Ethernet.
I removed some time ago my Innuos PhoenixNet, oh boy, so much missing !

2 Likes

Naim do not recommend anything!

So you weren’t impressed by the PhoenixNet then?

FR loves his PhoenixNet!

1 Like

The recommended switch by Naim, during Ndx then Nds time, was Netgear Gs105 .
As Aren said, I love my PhoenixNet. When I removed it and put the Netgear again, I realised how much the sound quality decreased.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying . Not knowing your history with the PhoenixNet I thought your comment could have been taken either way.

I see, so Naim did recommend some switches, and then backed away from their recommendations?

Why backed away ? I just followed their recommendations but found that my Nds/555 dr was less involving vs my ex Cdx2/ Xps 2. After reading here and elsewhere, I tried to upgrade the network. It worked.
It didn’t worked for you, and some, worked for others.
If you go into the profile of each member here with an Nd555, there are maybe 30 , they all have an Etheregen, EE8, or PhoenixNet. One has an Anzus.

2 Likes

I bought an Ethergen based on what I heard at my dealer store. But in my room at home it didn’t change anything. Except perhaps that I feel I might have maxed the system.