Ethernet Cables, Switches, WiFi and all that

Yes … a BT HH3, it and it’s kin that so successfully gave ISP supplied hubs a bad name.
Sadly the mud has not yet washed off, despite the excellent SmartHub2.

1 Like

Mine was relegated to my office, lol.

1 Like

Will be interesting to hear how you find WiFi vs Ethernet.

3 Likes

I’ll report. But not before mid-may.

3 Likes

I would expect the results would be different from one streamer to another because it mainly depends on how noisy the wireless network adapter inside the streamer, how the isolated it is in terms of noise protection.

Yes WiFi certainly has its advantages compared to twisted pair ethernet. It does depend on the wifi implementation design in the streamer just like the Ethernet stack implementation in the streamer on how it ‘sounds’.

So yes wifi if implemented well in the streamer bypasses all those issues with common mode noise, balanced pair imperfection reflections, coupled electrical phase noise etc than we read about ad nauseam on these pages. Wifi perhaps brings a few of its own depending on streamer, but modern wifi implementations are so massively improved over earlier generation wifi.

I would recommend overlapping APs to cover the streamer location, and avoid so called wifi ‘extenders’.

I currently use a hybrid wifi and Ethernet setup and it works fine, oh yes it obviously sounds superb.

5 Likes

Would be interesting to know what that looks like Simon. Do you have an Ethernet connected at your streamer or is that where you use the WiFi connection?

currently Roon server on wifi, NDX2 on ethernet - however I use SPDIF between NDX2 and the DAC

S

1 Like

And, please, your DAC is? Your profile is hidden (to me at least)?

Chord Electronics DAVE

1 Like

Simon could explain what you mean by implemented well ,in simple terms if possible.Thanks

The wifi module is designed using modern wifi protocols, ideally 802.11ac or greater, as well as supporting high speed roaming protocols (802.11 k/r/v) . The wifi module, along with the network module is well screened or separated from other sensitive electronics. The power supply and ground plane, along with the other network components is well decoupled and appropriate connectivity from the network modules to the streamer electronics use low low noise digital interconnects such as LVDS or similar.

1 Like

So I have a vodafone router and NSC 222.The router about 3m away from the NSC .I have zero dropout and sound good to me, i just wonder if other members have tried wifi .

I have a Vodafone router, but I don’t use its Wi-Fi and actually feed its LAN output to another router (with much stronger security). Wi-Fi is provided by a separate ceiling mounted AP (Aruba AP15) connected to my main switch (Aruba 1930) fitted in my UPS powered rack which has my blade Domain server and storage NAS boxes (I’m into photography too).

I could drop the Vodafone router but I need it for a home phone connection.

1 Like

For the last 2 1/2 years I have run my TV and set top box via BT based WiFi disc and without an issue, if everything goes to plan I hope to have a NSC222 in the next few weeks and it will be connected to the WiFi and not hard wired.

Modern WiFi should be stable enough for serious listening, and based on my TV experience I would say that it is.

Do BT Wi-fi Disks count as APs or Wi-Fi extenders?

(I have a BT Wi-fi Disk that was delivered today at home that is waiting to be installed).

Why do you use Wi-Fi on your Roon server and ethernet into your streamer?

e.g. Do you use the streamer with the Naim app sometimes and bypass Roon?

I have tried various combinations of switches and ethernet cables. Nothing sounded better than WiFi in my system.

1 Like

whet he is saying is that the Roon Server running on his iMac which is connected to his LAN using WIFI, i.e. no cable. Whereas his streamer is physically connected to his LAN via some sort of a network switch or a WIFI device or a router, with a cable.