Ethernet Cables, Switches, WiFi and all that

you can still upgrade main router in that case

A simplistic view of this is that you can spend quite a lot less on an optimised Wi-Fi implimentation than what can be spent delving in to the more exotic end of copper Ethernet connectivity.
The needs of a streamer as a client device aren’t particularly demanding and if you provide suitable priority and minimise any unwanted network chatter you can have all you need to receive audio.
I only use Wi-Fi connectivity on my 222 and Atom, as to which is best or better, you’ll get a 50/50 spilt of answers, much as you do with those using basic cables vs fancy ones.

1 Like

Ok so this is where I’m struggling, because you appear to be suggesting that noise in the router can get to the streamer/player via WiFi, I think. That may be right but I don’t understand it.

Well I guess so, but to be slightly controversial (tin hat on) I can’t understand why those buying switches, power supplies, expensive Ethernet cables, don’t just get robust WiFi sorted? Unless of course they believe Ethernet “sounds” better, which goes back to my OP.

Confused of Wimbledon :man_shrugging:

1 Like

at any part of the chain noise impacts signal itself

1 Like

In part because they are often sold in to a wired is best view by those selling them the fancy kit.
Copper Ethernet is easier to setup and have it “just work”, Wi-Fi requires more effort and setup knowledge to optimise relatively, but once it’s done, it’ll be consistently reliable.
As an anecdotal example, every single time I visit one of my local longstanding Naim dealers he always tries to sell me a Melco switch, despite knowing I’m a Telecom’s Engineer and get Enterprise grade hardware free from work!

1 Like

Interestingly, I just tried putting a QED ethernet cable on my Node N130 which is used for radio and occasional auditioning potential vinyl purchases.

I had an afternoon a couple of weeks ago where I had frequent drop outs while listening to Radio Paradise. This hasn’t happened before in over a year of ownership.

I’m not savvy on the subject of streaming (or networks in general), but rummaging around in the settings I found a diagnostics menu that showed the signal to the Node was alternating between Fair and Poor.

The Node is too far away from the router to install an ethernet cable simply so I opted to use the cable to a wifi extender. Is this a reasonable option? It would be a major PIA to hard wire to the router and all the sockets on the router are filled with hard wired Sky Q boxes anyway.

I feel the streamer sounds better, more full bodied but when listening to vinyl I occasionally get the impression the bass is slightly smeared. That could be my imagination though because I’ve been unplugging and replugging the wifi extender this evening without experiencing this.

This hobby is pure madness sometimes.

A Wi-Fi extender is just a layer 2 Ethernet Bridge, so any wired connection from it is fine to take advantage of, all the wired client traffic is transmitted and received using the Wi-Fi radios regardless.

2 Likes

Double dutch to me but sounds like validation, lol. Thanks for the response.

1 Like

Someone will chip in shortly to add that Wi-Fi extenders add “noise” no doubt, warning in advance!

5 Likes

:joy:

Quite obviously :slight_smile:. So you have to use decent psu on the wifi extender and choose those which is possible to configure in bridge mode when it just receives wifi and becomes half-switch therefore.

I would add that the key element in getting the WLAN optimised is ensuring sufficient coverage and where possible connecting all the Access Points (AP’s) back to your Router using a wired copper Ethernet connection. Power over Ethernet (PoE) can also be leveraged to reduce the infrastructure complexity.
Extenders and more recently multi AP meshing technologies (like EasyMesh) take advantage of being able to backhaul the traffic over Wi-Fi on a dedicated (usually 5 GHz) radio.
This works well enough in most cases but is a best effort solution, Wi-Fi 7 addresses some of the constraints vs previous generations but ideally, I’d recommend you have a physical copper Ethernet connection between the Wi-Fi AP’s and your router as part of the optimisation process of how your Wi-Fi is implimented, that combined with a site survey modelling accounting for building materials and room dimensions to ensure the AP’s provide sufficient and low interference connectivity to client devices.

1 Like

80% of the audience have switched off already (no pun intended), only took 8 minutes for someone to take the bait though, I salute you sir :smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, there ideally should be a single Wireless LAN Controller ( a device that controls the APs). Ubuiquiti, BT Complete Wifi and others do this.

1 Like

I have a Melco server which is directly connected to my NC222 which is in the same rack. The Melco is connected to the house Ethernet via its other port. Can I improve upon this?

Are you deriving this information from anywhere or are you just making it up?

Are you honestly saying that a better power supply on a WIFI device ‘improves’ the sound of hifi? Where are you getting this from?

2 Likes

Orders for popcorn are now officially open if anyone is interested :popcorn::popcorn:

5 Likes

Great. Got it :+1:

Would be interesting to hear from those who have invested in their Ethernet connection whether they perceive a sound quality benefit over a straightforward, robust, WiFi connection.

1 Like