Ethernet cables - YOUR LISTENING Shooutout Summary

…the ‘bass hump’ description is interesting. In my setup, which certainly ‘does bass’, I found the BJC a little ‘bass shy’, the Catsnake tonally similar to the limited number of other cables that I have tried. I would say that the Catsnake seem to endow the music with more of a sense of the artists being there in the room.

2 Likes

Let me throw something else into the mix: The way my cables sound, and the way the EE sounds is different depending on the time of the day - and what else is going on at home - with kids streaming movies, other people on the phone etc. :slight_smile:

So - while cable-A might be the best if there’s nothing going on, cable-B would be better between 8AM and 6PM.

So - when you guys do listening tests, do you control for time of day, day of week?
And are we sure that the best cable under those conditions is the best cable for all other times?
Or atleast the best cable for the times where the system gets most use?

Man! it’s so relaxing to go back to my Nth simple system: Rega RP6/Exact into Rega IO into Totem Kin Minis on my desktop. :slight_smile:

To think that networking is even more fidgety than a basic vinyl system.

1 Like

I have a 6m data cable run from my switch, a HP Procurve, to my streamer. I have finally got around to replacing my long term, flat woven, no brand, cable that came free with my NAS. I have replaced it with a ‘white’ (most important that bit) Kink resistant Belkin Cat 5e cable. Both sound great.

The new White one does look better up against the skirting board though.

I’ve now fully tuned into the sound of my revised system with the ER, no Ciscos and new racking system (and my usual full loom of BJC 6a from wall socket to 272).

Sounds sublime.

I’ve just replaced the final ethernet cable with the Catsnake 6a (but put in the other way round for Gerben!) - and with a ferrite choke on it to make it more equitable comparison (for NigelB).

I’m going to leave it there playing music for a week or so before deciding what to do with it.

1 Like

Yes the artist and ambients also become very close here but not upfront. (With the catsnake) very plesant.

I tried the Catsnake 6a ‘the other way round’ and noticed more of a sense of the artist being in the room but unfortunately it seemed to be accompanied by a flabby out of control bottom end :frowning:

Yes, me too.

Just had a listen and the Catsnake is the same as it was when I tried it a couple of days ago - more bass, but too much bass and not controlled as well, and a generally more flabby messy sound than BJC 6a.

So unless it beds in within a week it’s heading for the AV system.

1 Like

I like the CatSnake 6a but the bass kills it for me. I agree, BJC 6a is more cleaner and orderly and just generally tidier. I just wished it had a touch more grit/life/zest then it would be 100% the perfect cable for me.

2 Likes

I might try the BJC 6a ‘the other way round’ and see what that does. I agree about the lack of grit/life/ zest with the BJC 6a.

2 Likes

Hi Chris
Is the otherwayaround, reading text from l to r streamer towards switch?

Yes, that’s right.

It’s unnatural!

Like those heavy metal lyrics that mean something else when you play the track backwards.

…Reading this thread, one might come to the conclusion that our preferences in this area are determined by context rather than being absolute.

2 Likes

Yes, one person’s normal bass is another’s excessive, the second person’s normal bass is the first’s bass light… of course speakers and rooms come into it. To be definitive you can use REW and measure. I know some people hate that thought, but it has its place for anyone who wants to know whether their system is emphasising or reducing bass, or whether it is just their personal preference.

Indeed, and now to add to the identified factors of specific streamer/DAC, specific network, and electrical environment, is the perhaps obvious one of network activity which may equate to time of day.

1 Like

Except that tells you as much about how the system manages to control the bass and how the speakers interact with the room.

I wonder how many of the people who are finding boomy bass have experimented with speaker position?

Yes, I did acknowledge it was related to room and speakers. Measurement of course would tell you whether the system (as set up/positioned) is emphasising or reducing bass, and any boominess.

1 Like

Since I have the ER with linear ps, I have no more boomy bass, which I had however only on a few tracks.
The sound became so much clearer, but also softer and in the meantime tighter.
All the occasional distortion is gone.

1 Like

It’s an impossible task : each ears are different, rooms, mains, system, speakers, and the interactions between all these factors.
And you have also so many different tastes and preferences, some value prat at all, other bass and dynamics, other details and soundstage…
Good luck if someone can useful conclusions with all that .

1 Like

Yes, you did. My only point was that REL isn’t going to tell you that much about the Ethernet cable per se…