Ethernet cables - YOUR LISTENING Shooutout Summary

This is a wonderful performance:

Martino and Scofield are sometimes a bit boring, but this night, egged on by DeFrancesco and Byron ‘Wookie’ Landham, the whole quartet gels and they rock - especially from 40 mins when they play Sunny.

3 Likes

I’ll give it a listen. Thanks.

The YT video I linked to is the best SQ version I could find of the ones available (although if you find a better one please let me know).

While the SQ of the recording is not great it doesn’t matter because the improvisation and groove of the culmination of this excellent gig is so good.

Presently, my streaming cable set up is;

CSL Cat6 (7m) —> Mesh Node —> Chord Clearway (1m) —> TP Link GS105S —> Chord Clearway (7m) —> Chord EE8 —> Chord Epic (2m) —> EE1 —> Chord Signature ARAY (1m) —> Linn Selekt DSM; Edition Hub.

Looking to replace the CSL cable with something better, either BJC or CatSnake. Leaning towards CatSnake as UK.

Reading this thread, which took a while, the CatSnake appears to be well recommended and floating is preferred.

However, i do have some questions.

• Does it matter which way it is plugged in or is it directional.
  • Floating is 5e not 6a, what’s the difference
  • Need 100Base-T for DSM, but 1GbBase-t for Apple TV box
  • Not sure what spec the Chord cables are

Basically, trying to establish which version to order.

DG…

1 Like

I can maybe help with some of your questions as I have both Catsnake and BJC. Firstly, I’m pretty sure I ordered Catsnake 6a floating, so not sure where the 6e comes into it? I found Catsnake to be directional, so worth a listen. However, if it were me replacing a 7m run I think I’d use BJC as I think it’s more neutral than Catsnake. As a last 1m patch Catsnake works pretty well but it does have a bit of a bass bump, which can sometimes show itself, hence my suggestion to use BJC.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant to put 5e, corrected original post.

This is from their website explaining it.

Start:
These cables are commonly used in hi-end HIFI systems to connect streaming devices within the setup. For example, your NAS or laptop to your router.

Premium quality Cat6a data cables. Manufactured with Belden 1303E Catsnake cable and quality shielded RJ45 connectors with a metal shroud

In order to minimise any unwanted interference each pair of conductors is foil screened; this then works in conjunction with the integral overall-braided shield to reduce EMI. You have the option above to have the shield ‘connected’ or left ‘floating’, this will depend on your equipment and personal preference. If left floating then this cable will not perform to Cat6a specifications, but will still function perfectly well as Cat5e, which is the most common type of specification in HiFi setups

The cable has two jackets; the first tightly holds the conductors in place so they do not move around. The second is made from a tubular style rugged PVC, this makes the cable durable and easy to coil

These cables are commonly used in hi-end HiFi systems to connect streaming devices within the setup. For example, your NAS or laptop to your router

** Premium Belden 1303E Catsnake cable*
** Shielded RJ45 connectors with a metal shroud*
** Precision tools used to crimp plugs*
** 10 colours of boot/gland available for identification*

Field deployable CAT6a patch horizontal and building backbone cable; CobraNEt, eSnake, Ethersound, Digital audio over Ethernet; Support current and future Category 6A and 6 applications, such as: 10GBase - T(10 Gigabit Ethernet), 1000 Base - T (Gigabit Ethernet), 100 Base - T, 10 Base - T, FDDI, ATM; Compatible connectors Belden R301601 000S1 (T568A) and R301602 000S1 (T568B)

In our permanent quest to improve on what we do, we decided to improve our testing rig by employing a Fluke LinkIQ verifier. We can now verify that our Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat6a cables perform to the requirements of ISO/IEC 11801, at the lengths we state. All our cables now go through a thorough ‘real world’ test before dispatch. We use ‘Verification’ for short patch leads, and ‘Verification’ and ‘Live Testing’ for any cables over 40m, including reel-systems.
End;

DG…

1 Like

Do not underestimate the csl - these are really good and work above their price.
But I have not done direct comparisons - I bought catsnake but found it a bit less involving (tested only as last leg)

I have Catsnake on the way to maybe replace my Supra Cat8 from router to Ansuz D2. Had BJC up against supra in the same place earlier with a different system and back then found it bit thin sounding compared to supra.

1 Like

For some reason (yet to be explained) I’m not sure primary runs of ethernet cable really have that much influence or impact on SQ unless you run them directly to the streamer (not done the test), so I would think that with what you have, BJC or Catsnake it would be fine? It’s last few metres that seems to create the sonic window and character you actually hear. Although this does seem to raise the question on how short could a patch lead be and still influence the final sound?

2 Likes

If the choice of a router or the power supply to the router can change the sound post switch and last leg of ethernet cable then I believe all cables matter in a transparent system but all to a different degree where the switch and last leg is most important :slight_smile: For me to find out in a couple of weeks time. I believe @Peder might have done this evaluation already and have some input?

1 Like

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:

Keep in mind that the cable from the router and back towards the incoming fiber-box,.or if you live in an apartment building…the “hole in the wall” is also important for the best possible sound quality.

Even the best direction for sound quality on the above-mentioned cable placement can be heard very clearly.

2 Likes

What do you have there? Any experience with Neotech 3008 copper?

2 Likes

Does the change from catsnake (or was it blue jeans?) to Neotech from core to ee8 make a recognizable difference?

1 Like

@sbilotta
And? Omega already thrown out the window. How is neotech in comparison?

1 Like

Yes, the Neotech from Core to switch is slightly better than BJC but the difference isn’t as much as I was expecting.

1 Like

Thanks - than I will keep cinnamon at place :blush:

Here we go - asking for copper cable and in another thread telling me that I should get rid of my copper cable :rofl::rofl::rofl: kidding

Hi😃…
Did you have Neotech in the right direction for the best soundquality…?

In the picture below,.you can see how the text on the cable should be towards the streamer for the best sound quality.

Copper can be great as long as it’s not lamp wire from the 70’s :smile::kissing_heart:

How can a switch and Ethernet cable be this transformative?? I’m gobsmacked by the Ansuz D2 Powerswitch and D2 Ethernet now when having played it 24/7 for more than a week. I believe NDS must be super sensitive to what is fed to it because how it responds to different gear prior to it is unbelievable.

2 Likes