Ethernet running alongside power cable

Yes a separate CU installed 4 years ago.

Agreed, but my intention was to state that using a 10m extension cable from the existing 6mm radial or extending the radial / run a fused spur in 2.5mm t&e will both, electrically speaking, satisfy a nap250 (or any other amp.

An electrician would need to advise, but if it were me I’d be inclined to identify the last socket on the 6mm radial (which would have just the one wire going into the back) and from there extend with additional 6mm so as not to compromise the original installation.

1 Like

Do you not think disconnecting the original radial and have a new completely isolated armoured cable externally would be better as it in theory would be free from any internal interference?

1 Like

Potentially, yes, assuming that your existing cable actually is picking up any harmful interference, which may or may not be the case. The other advantage is that you have an unbroken run of cable. Squeezing oversized cable into a socket that was really only designed to take 2.5mm T&E is best kept to a minimum, especially if you are connecting off the existing socket and having to fit in two cables instead of one. With 10mm T&E, this is quite tricky, and an electrician may refuse to do it.

1 Like

My last electrician did refuse. He came with the building company that extended the house. TBH if this wasn’t the case I wouldn’t have picked him for the job.
I have contacted an electrician who I know and trust and is a music buff. He is going to have a look at the job this weekend. I know he will do a good job
Is there any significant advantage of 10mm over 6mm?

Not an easy demo to set up! When I installed mine, I phoned Naim, who recommended 10mm, so that’s what I used.

1 Like

I will see if electrician is happy to install. :+1:

I think your chances of him agreeing (especially to 10mm) will be higher if it’s a single run of cable to one double socket. Remember that if he is connecting to your existing separate consumer unit, he may also insist that the consumer unit and its MCBs conform to the stricter current regs.

Thanks. Will post the outcome after the weekend.
Anyone used armoured cable. Is it manageable around corners of buildings (right angle bends) there may be a few to negotiate.

All cables will have a minimum bend radius specified by the manufacturer. For armoured cable it is typically 6 or 8 times the external diameter of the cable, but your sparky should know all that. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks.

Decided to completely disconnect the original radials from the dedicated CU. Initially installed two radials one to the lounge and one to the kitchen. I was never quite happy with the routing of the cable into the kitchen as it ended up bundled together with all the other cables supplying the kitchen appliances, lights etc. Both have been disconnected and a new 6mm armoured cable installed externally which is completely isolated from any other cabling. Reistalled on Sunday night and left 24 hours to warm up. Listening last night I was totally gobsmacked. The noise floor has dropped significantly. Clarity and dynamics are so much better. I wasn’t expecting this much improvement tbh so very happy.
Now waiting impatiently for Witch hat phantom cables.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.