Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

My personal feeling is the switch is a very minor but worthwhile tweak.

However the idea off unplugging makes no sense, as the music buffered to the Naim streamer already went via the switch.

1 Like

Yes I know, but once booted and the same track restarted then one can listen and make their own judgment.

1 Like

Not this again. This thread is like effing Ground Hog day.

2 Likes

It is tempting :wink:

4 Likes

I’ll give it a go with my final faffing about. I’ve got a good deal on two PD switches (blue generation 2960) so I’m going to try and put this to rest while making a final decision between the BJC Cat6a and DC CatSnake 5e.

Certainly when I first went down this rabbit hole with bundled Cat5e, the Netgear GS105 made a positive difference in clarity, which the Cisco bettered while adding bass extension and general texture and body.

2 Likes

Did that months ago (back in jan) and started a thread ‘To switch or not to switch’.
Results were clearcut.
At the time I had a cheapo DLink switch and went direct to router. Better sound.
Since then I snaffled a Cisco. Plugged it in and hey presto, better on all fronts.

I was connected directly to an Airport Extreme for the first year I had my SU. Switched to a blue 2960 and it was a night day improvement. Later switched to a modern 2960 CG that improved the noise floor more albeit not as significant as the initial move to the cisco.

Dude - what could you possibly do standing up that is more enjoyable or important than cable dressing?

3 Likes

You put your Cis–co in.
Your Cis–co out.
In, out, in, out and shake it all about.

You do the thread rage shuffle
and you change your miind
That’s what it’s all a-bout.

Oh, the Cis-co Dis-co…
[cont p.96]

7 Likes

there’s quite a bit of that on this thread

6 Likes

As demonstrated, practically EVERYTHING in this thread has already been covered elsewhere.
But a song and dance is always good fun as long as you don’t spill your vino. :joy:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it establish whether the switch is adding noise?

1 Like

Thanks Peder - they look like a great supplier.
But only for business customers.

Did you already mention the name of the German seller?

So will you go:
Router - BJC - 2960pd - BJC - 2960pd - BJC - streamer?

1 Like

It’s a rap song? Well done Jim. In, out, in, out, and shake it all about : I am well laughing now :star_struck:

1 Like

After 1 week burn in of the BJ cat 6a , my first impressions vs the Vodka and Diamond.

Vs the Vodka: the Vodka is a bit more dynamic, has a bit more body, better defined bass, and details. Not night and day but enough to be heard.
The BJ has softer high frequencies on some recordings. Some recordings are more fatigue free.
The Vodka has this characteristic to push forward some high frequencies, in my system at least.
I will listen again more tracks tomorrow and continue the BJ burn in.

Vs the Diamond : All is better and more nuanced, with more colors, details, impression of true instruments , dynamics ( macro and micro) , body of instruments, soundstage…with the Diamond.

Next and final round tomorrow.

6 Likes

Well we have tried various combinations of grommets and the general conclusion is on a solid wall they have little positive effect, though on a palster board wall the effect is positive. Probably less vibration. Some BJ cables have been in place for the last 2 day and they make more of a positive difference.
A worthwhile experiment though.

ps torque settings not tested :thinking:

Yes, this ‘was’ my same experience too… I have also just figured that the 4 X Gigabit ports on my PlusNet Hub One router are already fit for the same purpose, why do it twice, introducing more cables, connections and noise?

I’m also surprised that in the ‘Naim quick start installation guide’ there is no small print saying - for best performance we strongly recommend using a separate switch such as a Netgear or Cisco. :thinking: