Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Same experience for me. +1

The second (white) one I bought had not been factory reset.

So Iirc I pressed and held the button, which I think is on the front panel bottom left, the Mode button? - and that reset the whole switch.

And it’s been right as rain since then.

Yes that stuff is really superb.
I used to drink it a lot about 20 years ago.

Which Chord cable?

And why is that happening?.

Aghh yes got you makes perfect sense…

If I read this right, the friend has built a listening room, the amps are in the garage and the LP12 is in the living room?
How on earth does he cue up an album, lower the arm, un-mute the amp (if that is what he does) and then get to hear the beginning of the track?
If doing comparitive listening, he must complete a marathon between changes.

1 Like

He has drone operated electrodes tied to his various manservants who do the manual labour.

1 Like

Doesn’t that depend on the size, and which one?

The speakers are also in the room with the LP12… I take it to mean that the living-room the other side of the wall to which Peder refers is that very same listening room pictured, being the other side of the wall relative to the garage where the amps are located.

I never mute and unmute the pre when listening to lips, personally. But in this case you describe, I don’t know how the remote for volume control could operate through the walls? And having the ps of the turntable in another room is not logical too.

Simon

Are you referring to varying the 0.96 µs IFG (inter-frame gap)? {Sorry my nomenclature is Juniper; although Cisco switches were the most popular in our designs, I did the JunOS SRX configurations when it came to switches & routers}.

I know this gap could be varied and guessing it may not be exactly 0.96 µs every time if set to standard. And changing this either by design (not sure how to do it) or drifting can affect sound quality because patterns in the gaps would be different.

Thanks Tiberio

My TT could be 50 metres from my DSM, but I would have to run to hear the start of the record. There is a I metre BJC Cat5e between my TT and DSM.

You could mute or control the volume with an app (Kazoo) on an iPad.

Hi Tiberio - getting close. The minimum inter frame gap (IFG) for 100 Mbps ethernet is as you say 0.96uS. And if the frames were queued one after the other on a port queue that would be the time between each frame.

Now the application, such as media server may well have timing greater than the minimum IFG - or more likely have a range of timings between the frames.
Now if there is minimum load on the segment - or the switched segment path - then the dominant inter frame timing will be determined by the media server. I have found a coroboration between UPnP media SQ and consistency of inter frame gaps. (I was examining why some upnp media players sounded different than others - even though the transferred data was identical).

Now if there are other flows being transferred via a segment - then queuing might be involved - this will change the interframe timing - and therefore the effect of the media server timing consistency will be diluted - this is why in such circumstances than DSCP queue management (MLS QoS) can be beneficial.

Hopefully that makes sense - BTW - quite easy to see for yourself where the switch is not the bottleneck if you setup a SPAN port on a messaged switch with equal or higher bandwidth to that being monitored and you can analyse in Wireshark and plot a graph of frame timings whilst comparing different media servers.

In the above charts - the bottom chart sounded preferable (legacy streamers)

[the average is clearly the same over many seconds - its the minimums that are important]

No insult intended, just trying to bring more common ground into the discourse, so I completely agree with your last paragraph. If someone is saying x cable is better than y cable, and ‘better’ is system (or component) dependent, then we should be clearer.

Presumably the NAS type is critical too? So many variables to be able draw shared conclusions about whether x cable is indeed better than y.

On that basis I’m willing to stake my money more on a rigorously tested ‘Ethernet’ cable that simply does what it’s designed for and pocket the change from flogging the comparatively expensive ‘Streaming’ cable.

Each to their own I guess.

G

:small_blue_diamond:@frenchrooster,…Interesting accounting,.Thank You for spending time and money to do this test.

And contribute to increased factual information,.how these cables work in your system.
We share your opinions about these cables…See below…

Ps: I forgot,.BJC Cat6a was also in the test,placed between Cisco1 and Cisco 2.
But it was quite uninteresting in this bunch of cables,.so we picked it off quite promptly.
Therefore,.I forgot about it.

:small_blue_diamond:Frenchrooster,.you also wrote…
“Vs the diamond, it’s a bit like colors on an iPad first generation ( the sceen), vs an iPad Air 3.
•Another league completely.”

Here we completely agree with you,.so it was in our music-system too.
That’s why all eight,.agreed to picked it off quite promptly.

Oops,.you seem to have had a tough time here for a while :grin:.
Were some angry at you,.because you did not think that BJC lived up to your musical-requirements in your music-system…Strange.

This with not having the same opinion on cables,.it seems for some,to be worse than criticizing someone’s wife :grin::joy::grin:.

/Peder🙂

2 Likes

BJCs arrived today (one annoyingly the wrong length) As much as this thread is killing my soul and I’ve forgotten about actually enjoying music. Will test with and without Cisco switch (white) against AQ Vodka.

I will be testing on new album KIWANUKA - Michael Kiwanuka to start with, 24bit 96kHz, Roon>Qobuz - NDX2

Also will test on Nils Frahm - All Melody 24bit 96kHz, Roon>Qobuz - NDX2

2 Likes

Thanks for this feedback too.
One question: you found with your guys that 2 Cisco sound better vs one. Can you in little words say what improved? You gave not details on that comparing.

Humour aside, as much as it has probably saved this thread…

What’s interesting, I think, is not that some people found the Vodkas didn’t bring much of an improvement for the money, or some people couldn’t tell the difference between it and other cables, but rather that several people have reported that the Vodkas sounded inferior in their systems. It was interesting in this context to learn that FR has a valve amp.

1 Like

To follow on from this listened to

Final Days KIWANUKA

BJC-switch-AQ Vodka-NDX2
Vocals appear more screechy/raspy, bass is deep, controlled, yet overall sounds a little thin

AQ Vodka-NDX2 alone to virgin active router (4 ports)same song
Still bright/screechy in vocals but slightly more clarity (Maybe…)

BJC-switch-BJC-NDX2
Sounds pretty similar in all honesty. Less screechy vocals. Maybe less space. Definitely more neutral sound. But again. Not a huge amount of difference at all.

BJC - NDX2
I’m pretty fed up of the song by this point in all honesty so difficult to tell if it’s the cable that I’m bored of or the 4th listen to the same song

Next up Nils Frahm - Human Range

If one sounds better here it’s the Vodka. Maybe slightly more space. But again. Not sure of a huge amount of difference if any. With or without the switch.

At this point. I give up. I like to think I have a very analytical ear. But this whole process seems a huge waste of time and money in all honesty.

I’m out. I’m done. This is mental :rofl:

To be honest think Im gonna give the AQ vodka directly to the router a few days, if I don’t like it will send it back.

At the risk of semantically poking the bear, something cannot be both opinion and factual information (i.e. fact). It’s one or the other.

How a cable or a switch works: fact (e.g. see Simon-in-Suffolk’s explanatory posts).

How we think a cable or switch sounds in a certain set-up: opinion.

Many people sharing a similar opinion: a consensus (still not a fact).

[Goes to hide under kitchen table]

7 Likes