Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

HH will do and compare with vodka. Nick Lees will compare also them to his Chord Music. If one of them finds BJC better, i will test too.

1 Like

Can someone explain to me why an ethernet cable would effect the quality of the sound? As far as Iā€™m aware music doesnā€™t travel down itā€¦

I bought a Cat7 cable for my NDX2 off amazon for about a tenner. Ive got a super lumina interconnect, canā€™t see a good reason to purchase an expensive ā€˜audiophileā€™ ethernet cableā€¦ Am i being a total idiot?

2 Likes

all you can read are contradictory points of viewā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to bother now. Iā€™m sticking with the Vodka or Vodkas as it were. Iā€™m now more convinced than ever I have it right the first time round, ok second time round, after the Cinnamons that is. Back to the Music Room methinksā€¦

2 Likes

Yup. Thanks TiberioMagadino. Lifeā€™s too short, enjoy what you have, thereā€™s no right or wrongs here. If I was unhappy with the outcome then maybe it wouldā€™ve been a different story but iā€™m not so iā€™m going to stop while the going is good. Everyone is on their own journey here and itā€™s all about the music at the end the day. One needs to find what works for them. My advice is to home trial before you buy, itā€™s the only way for sure to find out what is youā€™re after. Enjoy!

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@Peter1480,ā€¦Interestingly,.have you the opportunity to send a picture of how it is stuck on the wall,so it would be great.

Transferred resonances from the wall,.as well as the wall-brackets vary of course,whether it is wood or concrete walls.
And Cisco as with all electronics,.are sensitive to internal vibrations and microphony.

Me and my Cableoholic-friend talked about that we should test your suggestion,.so an image would be interesting so we can get some ideas.

This is Cableoholicā€™s hifi-rack,.it is the Swedish Entreqā€™s best hifi-rack,and is at the same price level as Naim Fraim.

Here we just ā€œplayingā€ with some different powercables to a Cisco.
Not any serious test,.so it looks a little bit cluttered out in the hifi-rack.

But getting this Cisco up on the wall would be brilliant,.if also the soundquality gets better.

/PederšŸ™‚

Dude - read post 724 in tHis thread by .xanthe.
That explains exactly why d8fferent Ethernet cables produce different effects on the sound quality of your hifi.

Well if it causes ā€˜electrical noiseā€™ surely wifi would be the better option? Seems like looking for something to me though, Iā€™m very obsessive about getting the best sound - too much so in fact, but to me this seems a bridge too farā€¦ just my opinion though. I think these companies do prey on audiophiles like ourselves :slight_smile: maybe thereā€™s some truth in the post, but Iā€™ve gotta say Iā€™m gonna sit this upgrade bug out :rofl:

Peder, here is a picture, difficult to get at!
20191012_212414
Our walls are plastered brick (floors are soild stone and everthing sits on spikes), the brackets hold the switch about 1cm off the wall (there is one top and bottom), it has the cables comming from one side so there is a good flow of air from bottom to top. My Rega is on a wall shelf above there is no feelable vibration on either even at neighbour anoying volume.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a big noise conductor right there!

hahaha

how can a wall transfer resonnances, vibrations? itā€™s the contrary, the why there are wall mounting shelves for turntables.

Yes maybe, in defence these plugs are so well made & robust its hard not to like them, but metal casings in a domestic environment?? Iā€™m not so sure about that, potential to add more than it prevents.
The other thing with them is they are rated Cat-6A, OK OK I know anything over Cat-5 (100MHz) on audio is not required & is just headroom, but the patch cables they get fitted on are most always rated Cat-7 ā€¦ ??? .

1 Like

But do you have a dac plugged in with an Ethernet cable?

Turning on WiFi turns on a radio transmitter inside the case of the streamer (= more noise)!

As I pointed out the network ā€œstreamingā€ cable that worked best in my system cost all of Ā£4.50.

3 Likes

Anything other than this must be brokenā€¦

a stands for Augmented

Cat 6 and Cat 6a are both data cable specification standards. Cat 6a is higher bandwidth supporting 10Gbps at 100 metres and may be physically larger making it quite stiff and as such it is usually better suited for infrastructure wiring as opposed to patch leads.
Cat 6 supports 10Gbps to 55 metres.
Cat 5e supports 1Gbps to 100 metres.

Guys you need to try and use PoE powered Cisco switchā€¦ I did for a while with my NDX it seemed possibly to have the slight edge over an internally powered switchā€¦ it was certainly a lot neaterā€¦ of course it could also have been the benefit of having one less mains lead about.

I believed Nigelā€™s question was specific to BJC Cat6 & 6A, which is how I answered it