Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

:small_blue_diamond:@Simon-in-Suffolk,ā€¦Well there are many factors that come into play.
It was simpler with vinyl :grin:.

Simon,.can you develop some thoughts on why PD2960 has a 48V SMPS.
And a ā€œregularā€ 2960 has a 12V SMPS.

/PederšŸ™‚

Higher Voltage PS allows more regulation options.

DB.

1 Like

Thanks Peder, I appreciate any insight that your friend can provide. Also, Oyaide only manufactures one ethernet cable model, the IS-707, so it has to be it. Quite possibly, the double extra shielding for Cat 7 spec played a role in reducing the score. Iā€™ve never compared it to other boutique cables, such as the ones that were tested by your Cableholic band.

This needs to go in a new thread - ā€˜Analogue Cables and HiFi supports Maniaā€™

This thread is for Digital Manias only! :hear_no_evil:

ā€¦although Power leads do seem to have crept-in - but the maniacal switches need them I suppose.

DB.

3 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:Exactly,.therefore we can have these with here.
@anon35279323 just announced that he should upgrade his powercables to switch and Melco.

/PederšŸ™‚

:small_blue_diamond:@Aren,ā€¦That is right,.I have just been confirmed,that it was the one we listened to.

Which direction do you have on your Oyaide,.with or against the text on the cable to the streamer.?

/PederšŸ™‚

@Mike-B installed a Friwo MPP15 Medical grade SMPS to his Cisco SG110D switch and reported positive results on the thread below. Mike measured the DC voltage and confirmed it was indeed quieter. Users on the Lejonklou forum also reported good results using the Friwo MPP15 with their switches over the standard SMPS. The Friwo SMPS is relatively cheap - just another factor to think about and try as you optimise your setup.

Hi Peder, the signal direction is currently going against the text on the cable; I thought the cable was directionless. Do you suggest that I try using the cable the other way?

:small_blue_diamond:@Aren,ā€¦Yes,.try that and tell me if you hear any difference.

If you hear any difference,.it will be very small.
It is usually the musical flow that is influenced.

Use the same ā€œportsā€,.when you change the direction of the cable.

/PederšŸ™‚

Thanks for the suggestion, Iā€™ll try it tonight and let you know. BTW, which ethernet cable scored the highest in your groupā€™s test? This thread has gotten so long that it was hard to find the results. Could you please provide me the final results again?

:small_blue_diamond:@Aren,ā€¦Here I found itā€¦

/PederšŸ™‚

1 Like

Thanks Peder, Iā€™m seriously thinking about trying the AQ Vodka based on all the kudos its gotten here.

2 Likes

Some will reply ā€œ Why not the BJ? ā€œ. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Itā€™s funny I think notā€¦I often compare to some some the tweaks and optimisations for direct digital replay as similar biut not as involved as with vinyl. The tweaks with vinyl and the more direct affects on SQ I genuinely found it a turn offā€¦ I ended up selling my record playerā€¦ it was all too much faff and I found temperamental for top SQ.

1 Like

Vinyl tweaks: the right cart for the arm, the right phono amp for the cart, the right impedance, VTA, VTC, VTF, diffĆ©rent curves of lpsā€¦
Same number of tweaks probably.
Perhaps the cd player is the most tweaks free source?

Well, Iā€™m off for three weeks now.

Things seem to be firming up on my cable preference: I still prefer the DesignaCable CatSnake Cat5e to the BJC Cat6a. The latter seems more detailed at first, highlighting the upper frequencies in a way that brings certain instruments to the fore, but it holds things together less well, doesnā€™t time quite as well and lacks some textural detail that means certain instruments and voices become flattened and less expressive. Overall, I just get more emotional connection from the DesignaCable, but the BJC Cat6a is very good, although trebles have a bit of a sheen and the bass is controlled but a little less textured.

The Cisco PD switch does seem to have the edge over the TC, although this is simply an initial impression - I havenā€™t done any comparative listening yet. Is it a massive difference? Well itā€™s noticeable is all Iā€™ll say at the moment. As to the matter of two does more than one: possibly. I think Iā€™ll have to do more comparative listening to be sure.

Not much really, but I thought I ought to post something before disappearingā€¦

2 Likes

Because he clearly prefers harsh sounding music. :smiley:

Yes, like me. I prefer noise to music. Noise is so much more expressive! :joy::grin:

4 Likes

I think its the over obsessivenes which gets in the way of enjoying the music.
You can spend silly money on buying upgrades and are not certain of an increase in SQ, it can be a lottery sometimes as this thread shows sometimes.
Personnel preference plays a big part as well, probably much more than some are willing to admit.
I prefer to save money and go the diy route, by doing some research and a little bit of leg work.
owever this forum i would say is the best for learning new things and upgrades as there are some really knowledgeable dudes on hear!

3 Likes

For what its worth, in a Statement active SL full loom system, I preferred the Vodka to the Diamond.
But I am liking the BJCcat6 with the cat6a to try in a few weeks when I have a conclusion on the Vodka v BJC cat6.

1 Like