Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I get a laugh every time I read that.

Tell me why ElMarko. I am curious.

Its called marketing-speak - and is rife. Maybe a product is fantastic, but the more the they use pseudo-science to market it, the more suspicious you should be: After all, the whole intent of marketing is to hook people, and the more unquestioning or gullible someone is, the more likely they are to be blinded by the amazing sounding descriptions - hooked by the marketing of a product that perhaps is perfectly ordinary, but with an extraordinary price.

1 Like

So the same can be said for that , not ?

The FPGA’s extraordinary capability enables a number of key sonic benefits, including significantly improved timing and the best noise-shaper performance of any known DAC. DAVE’s technology delivers music with unmatched reality and musicality, with an unrivalled timing response. The device’s lossless digital volume control outputs the signal direct to your power amplifier for the purest experience.

DAVE has a full-sized LCD display, showing input, sample frequency, volume and set-up configurations options, within Chord’s famous porthole design. On its fascia, DAVE also features a rotary encoder with a large stainless steel controller and ball buttons, enabling direct interactivity in addition to the supplied rem

I have no technical skill at all. Previous CFO then you understand my lack of technical understanding :wink:

I like Vertere. Thinks it’s an interesting company and will give it a try. And my wife like the red colour. So a good start.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@anon35279323,…:grin::joy::grin:That power-factor must not be forgotten.

And to calm down the cable-emotions for the weekend,.I put in a beautiful picture from the northwest part of Sweden below.

76695270_2857142854317476_911706559191449600_n
• From Jämtland,.Kalls-church with Åreskutan in the background.

/Peder🙂

4 Likes

Because it’s mostly nonsense disguised as “specs”.

1 Like

Virtually every seller uses language to present their product in a way tgey think will appeal to a prospective purchaser.

Most of the Chord first paragraph is just expressed opinion “ours is good”.

Tells you it is lossless - which, assuming it is not a false trade description (illegal in UK) is a good fact to know, and direct to power amp has to be purer than through other electronics.

And the next paragraph is descriptive of the physical appearance.

I don’t see any pseudo-science in there…

:small_blue_diamond:@frenchrooster,…There are several aspects to this.
I don’t think @Xanthe purpose was to say that AQ Diamond is a bad cable,.because it’s not, but on the contrary…It is really,really good.

• In fact,.given that she belongs to the “tech-spec”-gang (this is a joke) :wink::grin:,so I don’t even think she has listened to it.

The aim was probably just only,.as is common for most products,to demonstrates that marketing “slips a little” to the truth in relation to research,science.
:small_orange_diamond:BUT,.it has absolutely nothing to do with how AQ Diamond sounds.
Because It Sounds Very Good…!!

I think there is ten people who have AQ Diamond in our group.
Two did not think the difference was so big musically from AQ Vodka,.if you considering the price-difference.

But for the rest,.including me,the difference was big from AQ Diamond “down” to AQ Vodka.
It has also BertBird confirmed earlier in the thread.

Various tests around the world over the last five years,.also confirm AQ Diamond as a very,very good cable.
But as usual,.there is better :wink:…Or how @BertBird.

Then it is this with…Theory versus Practice,.in this hobby.
Whatever the specs,.it’s JUST LISTEN that applies…ALWAYS.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Mmm…

I listened to the Diamond in my system (between my NDX and Cisco C2960CG-8TC-L) against the existing Chord Indigo TA and was unimpressed by the music it made.

2 Likes

Mike-B gave you an opinion on the “specs” about 3 posts after your posting of it.

This is my view: the only specs in that post appear to be as below, the rest is marketing speak, largely waffle.

To all of you,
Take a look at the photo and see how clear the sky is. No pollution. How many of us have an air so clean and clear?

2 Likes

The BEST noise sharper of ANY KNOWN DAC…delivers UNMATCHED musicality and reality

No pseudo science but strong advertising

It was however humour from me Peder. Of course Xanthe didn’t said that the diamond can be put into garbage. :grin:. But I made a sarcastic conclusion from her comments you can read bellow.

1 Like

Referring to a single malt NigelB… cheers!

3 Likes

Just to fill in my very early impressions with the PD switch in particular, in response to @Peder and @charlesphoto - yes to the PD being quieter, more organic and more detailed. I was not sure about the two switches, though - I definitely have to do more listening - but it wasn’t a massive wow. There are positives - a very beguiling flow - but a suspicion of remoteness too. I’m not sure I could suggest people rush out and buy two switches just yet.

4 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@Michaelb,…Thanks for this first report,.very interesting.

But as you wrote earlier…
“But I got both of the these brand new for just £130.”

So they might need some run-in/burn-in time before “everything sits”.
My older from 2011,.needed 4-5 days to settle in,.and yours is new.

Michaelb,…I don’t know if you have them stacked on each other still,.as in this picture.

But these Cisco’s are susceptible to vibration and Microphonic.
So place them next to each other instead,.it would not be to any disadvantage.

:small_orange_diamond:And to make it even better,.and to also improve the cooling and air-circulation around your Cisco.
Place these now World-famous :grin::joy::grin:,.small rubber-feet under your Cisco,see picture below.

And for me and Darkebear it was a Wow with dual Cisco’s,if we shall use that word.
So give them a little more time,.and place them a little better as I said above.

Can you tell me where you found these new,.and at that price.
According to Richard.Dane,.we may mention the company name,but not add any link.

/Peder🙂

2 Likes

What is remoteness?

As I said, they are expressing their view - that is very different from trying to impress with gobbledegook designed to fool people into thinking there is real science behind something when there isn’t. And you wouldn’t expect them to say “nearly the best, with musicality and reality matched by others”, would you? And some of us certainly think it is the best of any DACs we have known.

IIRC even Naim is not immune from hyperbole when it comes to marketing - though not pseudo science, as far as I have seen.