Ethernet Switch

Exactly - This is true in terms of data integrity. No issues there. It’s noise coupling into other parts of the conversion stage from digital to analogue which is the problem.

2 Likes

Yes, but 14 days will not be enough to come to a conclusion. The EE will arrive Tuesday or so and there might be time to check for a difference with the Nova, but this will not be 100% conclusive. And come next weekend there will be 4 new boxes that I am not used to and that are running in (and despite my skepticism in this area as well, the 300 did change a lot during the first weeks). So I think the best approach is to install everything, get used to it, optimize speaker placement if necessary, and then when I’m happy put the TP-Link back in and look for a difference. Sure, I will lose a few hundred on the EE if I sell it, but in the grand scheme of my hifi expenses this year it is irrelevant. And if I can sell it with peace of mind, that’s worth something too

I agree 100%. One have just to read elsewhere forums where DCS , MSB, Totaldac…owners use expensive Ethernet switches, cables. They run their dac with a separated streamer / server.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Just set it all up and enjoy it. I’m really pleased I got my EE. It’s a sweet little thing with tiny twinkly lights. With the BJC Cat 6A it all works wonderfully well and sounds delightfully natural.

Good one. Yes, I actually threw it away, into our box for the Salvation Army.
Nicely corrected.
Man … you guys are just too sharp. I can’t get away with anything here.

1 Like

Luckily I bought BJCs already a while ago, I think most likely based on posts of yours in the cable thread.
My thoughts too, simply enjoy my new system. Just a few days to go, this was the longest October ever. But in a few months I guess I will still try to put the TP-Link back in, it’s a tiny bit of work and interesting in any case.

I can’t comment… but I guess I know a little about EMI and RFI decoupling professionally so perhaps use that to my advantage…
each to their own, at least for me and my equipment I have removed an annoying variable now, it lets me enjoy my music and stop fretting about the small stuff.
I am not saying that everyone will find that path… it’s cool by me.

1 Like

I don’t understand Simon what you have specially done, apart connecting the Ndx2 to the Hugo.
It’s good for you that it works, but you can hardly say that having the streamer and dac separated is the only solution for optimal sound.
As I said, if it was the case, there would not be so many users of streamers connected to a separated dac that use also expensive usb or spdif cables and expensive switches and ethernet cables. Or they are all wrong.

I bet you don’t return it or sell it. You will be delighted with it i’m sure…

1 Like

I’m open to all outcomes :slight_smile:

Because I feel the SQ is enhanced by daisy-chaining the 2960s. I believe I have ‘separated’ AV/Pooter stuff from audio by plugging the MacBook and Sky Box into the router and having the audio stuff hanging off the end of the daisy-chained 2960 switches.

Happy to be advised otherwise. All I know is everything is sounding wonderful right now, so loathed to fiddle.

Good advice :relieved:

Why are you planning to buy an ER then?

It’s fine comment! But how come Chord Dave manages to get rid of all the jitters, noises, etc coming from the USB, SPDIF, Toslink cables? Why can’t other hi-end manufacturers do the same for the Ethernet cables or WIFI input?

Does it, though? The Chord Dave famously requires (apparently!?) an SPDIF cable covered over its entire length with ferrites to help subdue the noise that a Chord M-Scaler generates.

1 Like

Why does anyone upgrade?

Always on the lookout for cost-effective upgrades. Part of the fun.

I don’t think it does. When I had one here on demo it did sound different between the 3 different USB sources I had to hand - not night and day, but still enough to show sensitivity to what was upfront. I suspect a high quality transport coupled via S/PDIF that a few on here use is probably one of the best sources for DAVE.

This is what @Innocent_Bystander said about his Chord Dave and USB

Very interesting.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.