Ethernet Switch

Yes, of course, they are all consumer products, but we live in a capitalist system, one has to be competitive, a wrong design issue can cause a company go down in a blink of an eye.

Thatā€™s a fair point, and a fair question.

There could be many reasons. I can imagine a few of them, like : cost, targeted price, range target, limited R&D resources or talents, etc.

Weā€™ll see if/when Naim produces its Statement Streamerā€¦

As I see it : Room, Network and Power are environmental parameters that might introduce ā€œnoiseā€ into the system.

Should an audio company control those parameters, or even some of them? Whether it is room acoustics, power induced noise or network related noise? Not sure.

Absolutely!
As far as I know the NDxxx streamer series tend to sell pretty well, meaning that most Naimā€™s customers are happy with their products. I then suppose that, from Naimā€™s perspective, everything is fine with their products.

Just purchase a EE 8Switch and be done with it, would be my adviceā€¦ Cut out out the middle man. Oh the irony. :rofl:

About the first part, sure, but what about a separate box IF it is so much better, instead of leaving it to Chord

About the second part, if it can be done and not doing it does not let the units reach their potential? I think yes, at least as an option like Fraim. They also do the whole vibration isolation stuff on 500 although they could expect you to do it on your own, based on the same argument

These are, indeed, fair points.

Only Naim could provide an answer that would make sense.

I suppose that, from Naimā€™s perspective, as long as sales targets are reached, everythingā€™s ok.

You are right of course. I may have to add explicitly that Iā€™m playing the devilā€™s advocate as I am suspicious of the claims and Naim simply might not consider it that big of an issue. Though I know I have to try, and I might after the system is finally finished and run in.
Also a bit annoyed by having decided to spend rather big on Naim in part because of the idea that they take care of the system part, including cables etc, and save the time so that I can actually listen to music, just to learn that an old Cisco switch would make it so much better

I donā€™t believe it is an issue. Naim products are rather good. One may like them or not, but good they are.

This switch and cable thing is really anecdotal. Very ā€œaudio forumā€ related/caused :joy:

You donā€™t need to try any of those so called audiophile switches. Your system sounds marvellous, no doubt about that.

There are so many other things, free things, that will transform your listening experience. Compared to that a ā€œfancyā€ switch is ridiculous in terms of bettering the listening experience.

The are some very simple things that many fellow members simply forget, like : the listening position has a massive impact on perceived sound.

Basic acoustic hygiene is free and has a huge, really huge, impact on perceived sound. Buying stuff like ethernet cables, switches, power blocks, etc. wonā€™t change that simple reality we shouldnā€™t ignore (I did buy all that stuff by the wayā€¦)

1 Like

I just meant I ā€œneedā€ to try if I want to know for sure, and before I have an opinion :slight_smile:
Full agreement about the other things you wrote, I am also quite surprised by some of the system pics. My room is not perfect and there are some improvements possible by treatment without going over board, but its basic architecture is quite good and it ticks all the major boxes regarding the typical big problems. When I moved there, its music capabilities were the most important consideration, so I am quite happy. As for the system, there were some delays that I did not bother to correct in the profile, so at the moment it is still only the Nova > 300 and it sounds wonderful already. Next week I expect to finally pick up the NDX2/555/252/SC, just in time for the new lockdown we have in Germany :slight_smile: Considering how happy I already am, I canā€™t even imagine yet how it will be. (And ā€œchild at Christmas eveā€ does not even come close. I already had the speakers, but everything else on my list was purchased since June, except the Nova which I have on loan from the dealer to fill the gap, and the P8 that I got in February. You can imagine my giddiness :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

@Thomas @Stephen_Tate Thanks much :wink: so I just ordered an 8switch because after all this I wonā€™t sleep before I have one :crazy_face: and when everything gets installed in a few days I want absolutely nothing to fret about. And frankly the price doesnā€™t matter anymore.

2 Likes

Youā€™re welcomeā€¦ in the non-sense-audio-world :rofl:
Perfect timing, your new system will arrive just in time for the lockdown :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Yeah, perfect. Iā€™ll work from home starting Monday for two weeks and then Iā€™ll have a week off and a week sick leave in the second half of November. Mountains of food are ordered and arrive tomorrow, on Wednesday Iā€™ll drive to the dealer and pick up the units, and then goodbye, world :speaker:

1 Like

Naim use a variety of isolators in their digital products. The original NDX has an optical isolator built in. So perhaps adding another one on the network cabling is just another form of DIY tuning.

Thatā€™s a very good point, thanks. Well I just tuned up then, I hope

I still have a strong reservation about the ER and EE despite all the favorable comments about them here in this forum.

I bought an ER in Feb this year, and I found that it did nothing to improve the SQ of my Linn DSM/3 (with Katalyst), in fact sometimes I even had occasional dropouts if playing the hires (>= 192x24 or DSD 128). So it went back to the manufacturer after 3 weeks in my system.

PS: My initial impression of the ER was very favorable, maybe because of my high expectation, and perhaps placebo. However, after 1 week or so, I just realized that nothing was actually improved.

1 Like

Me too, weā€™ll see, thereā€™s a legally mandated 14-day return period anyway

I had a Cisco for a few years and was highly sceptical of the EE, thinking it was just marketing piffle and all fur coat and no knickers. Anyway, I tried one having read all the positive feedback on here and it was really good, significantly better than the Cisco in terms of musical engagement, so I bought it. I was really surprised how good it is.

4 Likes

I believe you, so that really works in the ā€œcontextā€ of your system.
I am not sure if many owners of the LInn DS streamers experience the same improvement?

Do you have it behind the Cisco and only the streamer plugged into the EE, or replacing the Cisco? I donā€™t have a Cisco, but in the final moments of the upgrade frenzy I just yesterday ordered the managed Netgear G108E because of Simon-in-Suffolkā€™s insistence on IGMP snooping :wink: so Iā€™m wondering if I should send that back and just use the EE, or daisy-chain them? I know try for myself, but your impressions?

Edit: I just skimmed and read all 1516 posts in the 8switch thread but somehow missed if you mentioned daisy-chained or not

Iā€™d be curious about this, too, @anon4489532 . Iā€™ve thought of trying the ER on a whim and wondered if I did whether or not it should be used with the Cisco (which I currently utilize) or by itself; whether it should be ā€˜tetheredā€™ to it near the router or within closer proximity to the streamer two floors above?